Driving without card

■■■■■■■ annoyed again… 3 times this week Ive parked up, gone home and returned for the next shift to find my unit has been used without a card in, no entry on the defect book and fuel not replaced!
This has been going on for months…
Ive complained about it numerous times but it falls on deaf ears.
What happens if I get stopped by Vosa and they kick off about the missing mileage?

Not your problem. They can check your start and finish times to put you in the clear. Not so for the person issuing the vehicle or the driver.

VOSA would only download your card not the tacho head which the driving without card is registered,so they would not know. even if they did download the head its while your on daily rest so nothing to worry about.

Cheggy:
What happens if I get stopped by Vosa and they kick off about the missing mileage?

If the truck was moved on private land (ie your yard) then there is no need for whoever used it to put in their card and record driving time. I get asked to do the odd shunt before I finish quite often and never put my card in, just do a manual entry for some other work when I start my next shift.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure driving time is only really relevant so far as driving on a public highway?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I am sure driving time is only really relevant so far as driving on a public highway?

You’re corrected. All driving time is relevant. or so I believe :slight_smile:

If any on road eu regs driving is done in a shift then all off road driving is legally required to be recorded as driving time - thats the official version done

Reality - would a driver who finished driving and is on other work bother to put their card into another truck for a 30 second yard movement ? - me thinks not

A warehouse person who moves LGVs around a yard is not required to use a tacho

Slackbladder:
Not your problem. They can check your start and finish times to put you in the clear. Not so for the person issuing the vehicle or the driver.

If there is no card in, how do they know the OP isn’t driving the unit? Unless the OP can prove he or she was elsewhere, they won’t know who was driving as there was no card in…it’s not unknown for a driver to pull the card and still be driving.

Truckulent:

Slackbladder:

If there is no card in, how do they know the OP isn’t driving the unit? Unless the OP can prove he or she was elsewhere, they won’t know who was driving as there was no card in…it’s not unknown for a driver to pull the card and still be driving.

VOSA would have to PROVE they were driving it

We get the mechanics moving the trucks while the driver is on a daily rest period or a weekly rest period, as long as you have recorded the mileage or km`s in your work record book, then it would be down to Vosa to prove you were sat in the seat.
Not sure how it would be if the driver went abroad, as they like the fines in the thousands over there.

Cheggy:
[zb]returned for the next shift to find my unit

is it your unit, or your bosses?

Cheggy:

IF the truck is owned by your boss, its his problem to account for the missing Kms

Our trucks get moved round the yard all night without a card in. Never had any problems with it coming up in VOSA checks.

toby1234abc:
Not sure how it would be if the driver went abroad, as they like the fines in the thousands over there.

Yep, my ex-boss picked up a large fine somewhere in Europe because the bloke who washed the trucks at the weekend had moved his truck less than 20 yards without a card in.

peirre:

Cheggy:
[zb]returned for the next shift to find my unit

is it your unit, or your bosses?

Cheggy:

IF the truck is owned by your boss, its his problem to account for the missing Kms

My bosses unit, if it was mine there wouldnt be a problem as I would be the only person with keys.

Harry Monk:

toby1234abc:

Yep, my ex-boss picked up a large fine somewhere in Europe because the bloke who washed the trucks at the weekend had moved his truck less than 20 yards without a card in.

typical mmtm tale or in your case my exbtm

ROG:
If any on road eu regs driving is done in a shift then all off road driving is legally required to be recorded as driving time - thats the official version done

Reality - would a driver who finished driving and is on other work bother to put their card into another truck for a 30 second yard movement ? - me thinks not

The job I currently do is split between 2 drivers, 1 (in a transit van) is working inside an airport so no tacho required, and the other takes a lorry to a couple of places off the m25 to collect newspapers, so is using a tacho. While driver 2 is collecting the papers, driver 1 (using a transit van) is running around the airport clearing yesterdays papers out ready for the new papers. When driver 2 arrives at the airport, 2 pallets are stuck on the transit and that is then given to driver 2, who takes his tacho card and makes manual entries for the rest of the shift in the transit. Driver 1 then takes over the lorry to deliver the papers within the airport, but doesn’t insert a tacho card. Working times are recorded for both drivers using timesheets any way.

Is this correct? Just wondered, as no one has said anything about it so as far as im aware its ok.

green456:

Harry Monk:

toby1234abc:

Let me guess. You’ve never once driven a truck outside the UK, right?

charliebear:

ROG:

The job I currently do is split between 2 drivers, 1 (in a transit van) is working inside an airport so no tacho required, and the other takes a lorry to a couple of places off the m25 to collect newspapers, so is using a tacho. While driver 2 is collecting the papers, driver 1 (using a transit van) is running around the airport clearing yesterdays papers out ready for the new papers. When driver 2 arrives at the airport, 2 pallets are stuck on the transit and that is then given to driver 2, who takes his tacho card and makes manual entries for the rest of the shift in the transit. Driver 1 then takes over the lorry to deliver the papers within the airport, but doesn’t insert a tacho card. Working times are recorded for both drivers using timesheets any way.

Is this correct? Just wondered, as no one has said anything about it so as far as im aware its ok.

Bit of a grey area as exemption to EU hours applies to Vehicles used exclusively on roads inside hub facilities such as ports, airports, interports and railway terminals., VOSA then add the following note to the exemption This applies only to those vehicles being used within the perimeter of these areas (rather than those driving to or through the areas), although we accept that these vehicles may occasionally leave the site for vehicle maintenance purposes.

If that requirement isn’t met then a record must be kept if the driver drives for more than 4 hours or the vehicle operates more than 50km from base, “log books or tachographs may be used”.

Harry Monk:

green456:

Harry Monk:

toby1234abc:

yeah your right young un

Harry Monk:

Let me guess. That’s your biggest acheivement in life, right?

Dear oh dear. Change the record Harry. We all know you’ve driven a truck on the other side of the road before. You do mention it roughly every five posts.

DannyDoncaster:
VOSA would only download your card not the tacho head which the driving without card is registered,so they would not know. even if they did download the head its while your on daily rest so nothing to worry about.

Except for the fact that the traffic office has to periodically download the data from the tacho head and upload it…