Driving without an ABS lead connected

I had a night off the other day when I came back in the following night I found the ABS lead ripped apart with all the wires hanging out inside my cab,the agency driver must of done it and not reported.
Are you able to drive without it plugged in or is there a fine if your caught as iv’e looked everywhere on the Internet & can’t find a proper answer.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Oh. Sorry sorry, fell off my chair.

Nope its happening again. Can… Barely…see… Screen…due watering eyes of laughter…ha ha ha ha.

Joking aside. What do you think? You lose that suzzie, you lose ebs on the heaviest part of the vehicle. How do you think they view that as a running defect, the men in low visor caps? Come on. Wise up. This must be a wind up, it is isn’t it? :smiley:

If your ever in doubt, ask your self " what would Jesus do "…lol…

Personally I wouldn’t take it out, coz you get stopped by that DVSA that’s driving with an inoperable and & Improper braking system … I only take it out if the cable was replaced but that’s my own opinion if it presented it self to me…Others opinion my differ

Typical, blame the agency driver :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
As far as I’m aware if both tractor unit and trailer have ABS sockets, an ABS lead must be connected.

Depends on what "generation "ABS is fitted to the trailer.1st and 2nd can be powered through the standard S susie (usually have a green bulk head light) 3rd generation are powerd through the 7 pin iso coupling only as they usually have EBS capability.

But all ABS systems can be “emergency” powered through the brake light circuit,but this will not power up the EBS on 3rg generation trailers and as the ABS unit has to run through a solenoid test every time its first powered up it aint going to be much good in an “oh ■■■■” situation.

If the ABS fails on route you are allowed to return to depot or get it fixed within 24 hours,but it must be working before the vehicle goes back out on the road.
Brakes just go to standard braking if a fault in the system occurs.

Thank heavens for the agency, the whipping boy for the incompetent full timer.

mike68:

+1

mike68:

+2

The question is what did the op do on his return to work!

not go out on the road
used a diffarant vehicle
went home

mattecube:
The question is what did the op do on his return to work!

not go out on the road
used a diffarant vehicle
went home

Or thought [zb] it, it’ll be fine without it :unamused: :unamused:

Bking:
Depends on what "generation "ABS is fitted to the trailer.1st and 2nd can be powered through the standard S susie (usually have a green bulk head light) 3rd generation are powerd through the 7 pin iso coupling only as they usually have EBS capability.

But all ABS systems can be “emergency” powered through the brake light circuit,but this will not power up the EBS on 3rg generation trailers and as the ABS unit has to run through a solenoid test every time its first powered up it aint going to be much good in an “oh [zb]” situation.

If the ABS fails on route you are allowed to return to depot or get it fixed within 24 hours,but it must be working before the vehicle goes back out on the road.

I was looking at a wiring diagram for a trailer socket earlier this week, it’s the lower pin on the green socket ( never remember if it S or N ) that does this

I seem to remember that when the EBS/ABS connections started to appear on trucks and trailers, it was made quite clear by the authorities that if you had a vehicle capable of using it then you must have the EBS/ABS lead connected or risk being fined if caught.

I know we had a notice where I worked to that effect and that was a small company not known for handing out notices.

Quite simple really, VOSA / DVSA catch you with no ABS cable connected, its an immediate PG9 prohibition. No doubt whatsoever,

knowall:
Quite simple really, VOSA / DVSA catch you with no ABS cable connected, its an immediate PG9 prohibition. No doubt whatsoever,

No, immediate is only for EBS. Delayed for older trailers with ABS provided it is actually working. Still a lot of pre-EBS trailers out there.

Reason is because load-sensing is no longer mechanical/pneumatic on EBS so without the power there is no load sensing.

Edit: Having looked at it this reads like it may still be delayed prohibition for EBS provided the ABS is still working in its absence

What if a vehicle and trailer are being used with only the 24N and 24S connections
used?
Answer: All EBS trailers must have an ISO 7638 connection from the towing vehicle. For ABS trailers,
if either the vehicle or trailer are not fitted with an ISO7638 socket, provided the driver has a
functioning ABS warning device for the trailer this is acceptable. If the vehicle and trailer are both fitted
with ISO 7638 connections they must be connected and the operating lamps checked again. If the ISO
7638 cable is not being used but the ABS system on the trailer is confirmed to be working, a delayed
prohibition will be issued. If the ABS system can not be confirmed to be working or if an EBS trailer
38 22
used with a non-ISO 7638 equipped towing vehicle, an immediate prohibition will be issued to the
trailer.

EBS is only a pair of can wires which tell the trailer electronically how much braking pressure is being applied to the tractor brakes.

Thats why some trailers can operate the foundation brakes without the service line connected.

The ABS is,apart from the power supply,independent of the tractor unit and is controlled on most trailers by center axle signal on tri axles and front axle on tandems.

Lose one or both can signals and you still have full abs modulated braking.

The ABS is the important system which has to work to be legal.

Denis F:

Bking:

But all ABS systems can be “emergency” powered through the brake light circuit,but this will not power up the EBS on 3rg generation trailers and as the ABS unit has to run through a solenoid test every time its first powered up it aint going to be much good in an “oh [zb]” situation.

I was looking at a wiring diagram for a trailer socket earlier this week, it’s the lower pin on the green socket ( never remember if it S or N ) that does this

Brake lights work through pin 4 on the N socket,most S sockets are only used to drive the fogs and reverse light now as their ABS powers and earths are fed through the big ISO unit.Not enough pins on the supplementary because you have the 5 for abs,2 for fog and reverse and 2 more for the ebs data signals.

dont worry about it ,just get on with the job

essexandy1963:
I had a night off the other day when I came back in the following night I found the ABS lead ripped apart with all the wires hanging out inside my cab,the agency driver must of done it and not reported.
Are you able to drive without it plugged in or is there a fine if your caught as iv’e looked everywhere on the Internet & can’t find a proper answer.

Unless you have proof then why do you assume, possibly wrongly, that it was an agency driver that damaged the lead?

Are you the only driver there and is there only one vehicle on site, if not, then another regular driver could have swapped it.

knowall:

that would be correct in the real world.
its a diff deal on a diff day from diff vosa dobbers…every time im pulled,then i get an immediate gv9 for not having the lead connected,immediately followed by a removal notice of the same prohibition as by now ive plugged it in…countless times its happened,and countless times its the same story…i never run with it plugged in.gives the fannys something to do with justifying their meagre existance.you usually get handed both sheets of paper at the same time,and plobber boy goes away happy as he has found something wrong…happy days all round.

Bking:
EBS is only a pair of can wires which tell the trailer electronically how much braking pressure is being applied to the tractor brakes.

Thats why some trailers can operate the foundation brakes without the service line connected.

The ABS is,apart from the power supply,independent of the tractor unit and is controlled on most trailers by center axle signal on tri axles and front axle on tandems.

Lose one or both can signals and you still have full abs modulated braking.

The ABS is the important system which has to work to be legal.

That’s interesting, i didn’t know some at least modern trailers could operate the brakes via signals from the tractor ABS lead without a service air line, say for example if the yellow line snapped.
How would one know, apart from trying it out in the yard, if your regular trailer responded like this?
Say for example if you had a 2006 Belgian made trailer with Wabco EBS fitted (my regular tank), would you be able to tell by looking without testing it practically if it was capable, or is this very new technology.