Driving with no card?

Maybe im jumping the wagon here…

Everytime i start work the tacho has driving without card symbol on.
Would my company be able to find the drivers behind this?
as this would show up somewhere?

Im not saying someone has ran over driving time or hours so they have pulled it etc im just wondering if this can be dealt with?

Soon as you walk in to work your at work untill you lock up you are at work in my eyes.

Your voews?

Why does it concern you? Are you a manager?

merc0447:
Why does it concern you? Are you a manager?

Im the next driver to put my card in so just asking.

Just OK the tacho to clear the driving without card message before putting your card in

In our yard it usually means someone has jumped in to move it a short distance in the yard to move it out of way if double parked etc, generally accepted that you dont need card in to do that yes technically you should but in the real world …

No idea how big the Company you work for is,but it could a fitter or another Driver has had to use your vehicle in the Depot,and has had no need to put a card in.
You can soon find out how far its travelled by checking the mileage on the tacho,but its not really of much concern to you as your card will register what you have done nobody elses.
As been said press OK and carry on.

And also on a similar note. Driver arrives in work 20 mins early but officially don’t start for another 20 mins.

Can you drive without card a thousand yards to
The truck wash
Closer to a trailer

You get my jist just to pass the twenty mins . would it be considered as still a drivers own time.

Or would putting the card in 20 mins early would a driver be legally covered.

lolipop:
No idea how big the Company you work for is,but it could a fitter or another Driver has had to use your vehicle in the Depot,and has had no need to put a card in.
You can soon find out how far its travelled by checking the mileage on the tacho,but its not really of much concern to you as your card will register what you have done nobody elses.
As been said press OK and carry on.

Fair enough i understand.

But lets say my theory was right and lets say someone ran out of hours and chose to drive wwith no card to get back to base would that person be able to be identified??

the latest reply regarding people coming in at say 2 then put card in at 3 seems to be polpular.Thats not legal.

■■■■■■00:
And also on a similar note. Driver arrives in work 20 mins early but officially don’t start for another 20 mins.

Can you drive without card a thousand yards to
The truck wash
Closer to a trailer

You get my jist just to pass the twenty mins . would it be considered as still a drivers own time.

Or would putting the card in 20 mins early would a driver be legally covered.

No, it would definitely NOT be considered as the drivers own time. The law wont be interested in your official start time - you’re working, and it has to be recorded somewhere.

buses:
But lets say my theory was right and lets say someone ran out of hours and chose to drive wwith no card to get back to base would that person be able to be identified??

It depends on your companys own procedures and practices. We have key control sheets where anyone taking vehicle keys has to sign for them with date/time they’re issued and returned. The tacho will know the date/time of the movements when there is no card so ot can be worked out who was driving.
It’s not an issue for any driver to concern themselves with (unless you’re the driver pulling your card) it is something that will only affect the company when it comes to enforcement from DVSA.

The driver could be taking his card out and doing his paperwork while he fuelling up,park up home :wink:

seth 70:
The driver could be taking his card out and doing his paperwork while he fuelling up,park up home :wink:

Which is, of course, illegal.

sayersy:

seth 70:

Yes it is… However in the real world. So what would you do if say your time was up when you was fueling up would you leave the truck were it was and get someone else to move it the few yard to park it up?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

sayersy:

seth 70:

Yes it is… However in the real world. So what would you do if say your time was up when you was fueling up would you leave the truck were it was and get someone else to move it the few yard to park it up?

Yes, that’s what I’d be expected to do. I’d be more likely to leave it and fuel up in the morning, though. If another driver was using it on a night, I’d leave a note apologising. He wouldn’t mind, because he’d do the same thing.

:wink:

buses:
Maybe im jumping the wagon here…

Everytime i start work the tacho has driving without card symbol on.
Would my company be able to find the drivers behind this?
as this would show up somewhere?

Im not saying someone has ran over driving time or hours so they have pulled it etc im just wondering if this can be dealt with?

Soon as you walk in to work your at work untill you lock up you are at work in my eyes.

Your views?

There is nothing to be dealt with in my eyes. 99% of the time ‘Driving without card’ means that the vehicle has been moved around the yard by someone between shifts. Not a big deal if you don’t go onto a public highway. There are 40-50 rigids at our place that need shunting on & off a bay every night… clearly the shunter isn’t going to put his card in everytime.

Mine says no card every morning and no-one has touched my wagon and it hasn’t moved an inch since I pulled the card the previous day. I thought it was normal! Haha. I just stick my card back in and ok it and it’s cleared. No-ones said owt about it and I’ve not had any infringements either

sw1ller:
Mine says no card every morning and no-one has touched my wagon and it hasn’t moved an inch since I pulled the card the previous day. I thought it was normal! Haha. I just stick my card back in and ok it and it’s cleared. No-ones said owt about it and I’ve not had any infringements either

But does It say " driving without card" ?

buses:
But lets say my theory was right and lets say someone ran out of hours and chose to drive with no card to get back to base would that person be able to be identified??

That depends on the circumstances.

If you took your card out an hour from base then drove at 40 + mph for the best part of an hour it would be pretty obvious, if you took the card out a couple of minutes from base and vehicles are regularly moved in the yard it would probably be overlooked.

As m1cks said it would depend on your companies usual practices.

sw1ller:

I’ve never seen “No card” displayed on a digi tacho. I’ve seen “Driving without card” (which you get when the thing has been driven for even a couple of feet without a card in) and I’ve seen “Card” which you get every time you turn the ignition on with no card in the head…