Driving with diabetes

Hi all,

Just found out today that I have diabetes, now I don’t know what type but I would assume it’s type 2 and I’m going to the quacks on Friday to discuss treatment and such like.

I know if I have to have insulin injections I lose the entitlement on my license and have to re apply but is anyone else on here diabetic and how dI’d they get on with the dreaded DVLA when notifying them about the condition.

Thanks

type 2 is normally controlled by diet not insulin type 1 however you may well find your insulin controlled.

if its type 2 weight loss and exercise and a change of diet will help.

war1974:
type 2 is normally controlled by diet not insulin type 1 however you may well find your insulin controlled.

if its type 2 weight loss and exercise and a change of diet will help.

or Metformin

If you are on metformin do you still have to notify DVLA

NewLad:

no you phone the dvla med centre and it ask you a few questions then tells you to press 1 if your on insulin otherwise thankyou for calling and ring back if your circumstances change and you go on insulin,

I would think that if ur going to the docs on Friday they’re not overly panicking to get u on insulin
As said previously type 2 is diet, tablet or can be insulin.
Inform DVLA once you know on Friday. Your licence may not be suspended if it’s type 2 where as type 1 it most certainly will be as certain criteria has to be met, also 3 months of blood sugars on a recordable meter with sufficient memory.
I myself am type 1 and lost my licence for 16 years till the law was changed. I get my class 1 and car entitlement for a year at a time. So right now I am reapplying for another year. I have just filled in the personal medical questionare and the D4 as I’ve reached 45. I also sent them 3 months of results printed out etc.
Last year was different as I had to see 2 Endocrinology consultants at DVLAs expense so don’t panic there. Only for them to fill in the same medical questionare each as I had done and ask if you can recognise hypoglycaemia episodes. As well as other questions.
Show them both the meter with results. Then wait for a decision from Swansea.
It was all quite quick and painless to be honest, I was surprised how quick it came back actually.
If there’s anything else just ask. Let us know how you get on at the doctor’s. Good luck.
Least u can get free ■■■■■■ now lol. It’s not the end of driving.

before you go to the doctors , you tube: jason fung , how to reverse diabetes naturally . i know people will have different opinions but this is my story , diagnosed diabetic in 1998 , put on metformin[ which gives you ghandis revenge by the way] in 2000 put on insulin against my wishes,lost licence and extremely good well paid job , in 2013 went for annual check up ended up telling them to stick there insulin up there backside dont speak to me like that your full of crap etc,[its a fact that insulin gives you depression,]started using fungs ideoligy lost weight,dropped blood sugars ,2014 annual review ,hb1c blood tests 6.2 doc asked how i managed it ,diabetic clinic said it couldn’t be done and preach the nhs way,doc said my average blood sugars were lower than his and he isn’t a diabetic ,he filled in forms and signed them got back my hgv1 ,and full car/motorcycle licence ,instead of a three year one which is a pain in the arse ,for most medicines out there there is a natural way as an alternative ,its your choice and only takes a little bit of effort for a month then it just becomes the norm,or you can put yours self in the hands of the so called experts who can only do it by the book ,

sorry to bore you ,video lasts 34 mins it’s worth a shot good luck

NewLad:

i did

Re: Metformin
I have couple of friends who are type 2, both take metformin, if your prescribed it ask your doctor about the side effects (Gandhi’s revenge) & ask em if possible to prescribe the slow release version, this should enable you to cope with these side effects.

scrotumscratcher:
before you go to the doctors , you tube: jason fung , how to reverse diabetes naturally . i know people will have different opinions but this is my story , diagnosed diabetic in 1998 , put on metformin[ which gives you ghandis revenge by the way] in 2000 put on insulin against my wishes,lost licence and extremely good well paid job , in 2013 went for annual check up ended up telling them to stick there insulin up there backside dont speak to me like that your full of crap etc,[its a fact that insulin gives you depression,]started using fungs ideoligy lost weight,dropped blood sugars ,2014 annual review ,hb1c blood tests 6.2 doc asked how i managed it ,diabetic clinic said it couldn’t be done and preach the nhs way,doc said my average blood sugars were lower than his and he isn’t a diabetic ,he filled in forms and signed them got back my hgv1 ,and full car/motorcycle licence ,instead of a three year one which is a pain in the arse ,for most medicines out there there is a natural way as an alternative ,its your choice and only takes a little bit of effort for a month then it just becomes the norm,or you can put yours self in the hands of the so called experts who can only do it by the book ,

Maybe you explain in short wot you changed and how?
I started with a Cup sting Nettle Tea a Day and got Blood pressure down to 120. Bloodsugar is also down. Not that thirsty anymore,not so hungry,and it seems having an overall positive affect. EXCEPT the Taste you get over Time. Stop that every 2 Week for a Week :slight_smile:
Got me also a Apple-Cider Vinegar with Mother (unfiltered) 1 Soupspoon in a Glas Water a Day. Refreshes really
Thanx

Immigrant:

scrotumscratcher:

I started with a Cup sting Nettle Tea a Day and got Blood pressure down to 120. Bloodsugar is also down. Not that thirsty anymore,not so hungry,and it seems having an overall positive affect. EXCEPT the Taste you get over Time. Stop that every 2 Week for a Week :slight_smile:
Got me also a Apple-Cider Vinegar with Mother (unfiltered) 1 Soupspoon in a Glas Water a Day. Refreshes really
Thanx

immigrant my dissertation was on this subject exercise and diet can control this.

Your quack should have you take a GTT, (Glucose Tolerance Test) to confirm what type of diabetes you have.
Type one or two have different levels of severity, type one usually involves insulin injections.
I have type two, and because I have a sensible diet, (No hardship), my condition is diet controlled, no drugs.
I have to have an annual blood test, have my feet inspected for blood circulation and have my eyes photographed to detect a possible detached retina.
As I have to take a medical every year, I am now coming up for 73, My doc states on my D4 “Diet controlled Type 2 diabetes well tolerated”, I have had no problems with the DVLA for the several years I have had this condition, apart from them sending me a letter back with my licence just to say that if there is any change in my condition I must inform them.

Wife’s a nurse, the lead diabetes nurse at her practice…

Anything else you want to ask, and I’ll pass it on…

war1974:

Immigrant:

scrotumscratcher:

Thanx

immigrant my dissertation was on this subject exercise and diet can control this.

thanx

Goldfinger:
Wife’s a nurse, the lead diabetes nurse at her practice…

Anything else you want to ask, and I’ll pass it on…

This is TNUK … That’s way too sensible a reply for here :wink:

Hi, I am type 2 and I am on metformin and insulin and hold class one license.
If you are put on insulin you will have your license suspended and you have the right to reapply after three months, then you have to get your GP to fill in the D4 form, send it back to DVLA, then you will be sent a form to be completed by your diabetic consultant, after that you will have to see a DVLA appointed diabetic consultant, you will need to show three months blood monitor readings, you must have at least two readings per day and no readings of less than three mmols you must test before driving and at least every two hours wile driving, there is a lot of info on the DVLA medical website.
If you get your license back it will be for one year, it takes them ages to renew it but you can continue to drive wile they decide so it normally lasts for about eighteen months it seems a bit daunting but it’s worth it to keep your license.

Hope this helps.

have a look at the DVLA website,that will tell you if you need to inform the DVLA regarding which form of treatment you are given and if you have to inform them or not

I just posted asking experien ces about diabetes and was kindly pointed to this post.

I have my second round going with the application rumba and wonder how others deal with it. Does employers give hard time for you being diabetic and so on?

Astonjohn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:14 pm
no readings of less than three mmols.

Not true.

eerika_holm » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:19 pm
I just posted asking experien ces about diabetes and was kindly pointed to this post.

I have my second round going with the application rumba and wonder how others deal with it. Does employers give hard time for you being diabetic and so on?

Company I am casual with have no problem. Pull in, test and then away again. If it’s going to be a journey over 4 and a half then I take a 15 break at first test. Obviously your next one will be ur 30 mins.
Test every time I leave an offload. Just do it for piece of mind.
No forgetting now cause they can tie ur testing to your digicard. Your meter has to be set at the correct time and date.
Currently waiting on my reapplication decision. The dvla consultant is really just the same as your current one. It was pretty quick and painless last time I saw him.

Cheers. :slight_smile:
How long all the application process has taken then?