Driving Too Close - Tailgating and Intimidating Cars

puntabrava:

nick2008:
so you sat along side him so even if he wanted to pass he couldn’t …maybe the car driver was playing silly buggers earlier :unamused:

Yes, and filming from such an angle to make the gap look small but whenever he moves to the front of the lorry the gap looks ok.

Just got back to wagon driving last week and went down the roadworks on the M1. Plenty of night trunk drivers for pallet firms sitting right up the arse of the car in front and it was nothing to do with angles of view. I was looking at the lane lines on the road and they were closer than one. Absolute madness.

If the gap looks small it is. At 50MPH through roadworks you should be at least a full artic length from the car in front.

That gap is NOT OK and if you think it is you should have your license taken off you. He keeps having to touch the brakes. If he was a safe distance back, lifting off would be enough. If that car brakes hard the wagon will be up his arse before the driver even had time to react and hit the brakes.

puntabrava:

nick2008:
so you sat along side him so even if he wanted to pass he couldn’t …maybe the car driver was playing silly buggers earlier :unamused:

Yes, and filming from such an angle to make the gap look small but whenever he moves to the front of the lorry the gap looks ok. Some chica drove up alongside my lorry and drag of straw on the A303 last week, me looking in my mirrors saw the passenger filming with a phone as she came to the back of the lorry, I informed her it was 2 o clock. Get a [zb] life I should think.

Gap looks ok? you having a laugh? but then if you do, it would explain why a lot of stupid drivers end up running into the vehicle in front of them!!

nick2008:

A truck cannot go in lane anyway as its width restricted so it doesn’t matter a toss if the OP was alongside him as the truck cannot use that lane.

Conor:

nick2008:

Do you have a license? A truck cannot go in the outside lane of a 3 or more lane motorway so it doesn’t matter a toss if the OP was alongside him as the truck cannot use that lane anyway.

But he maybe would if he had to take evasive action, he wouldnt want to take it off road would he! although some do.

weeto:

puntabrava:

nick2008:

Yes, and filming from such an angle to make the gap look small but whenever he moves to the front of the lorry the gap looks ok. Some chica drove up alongside my lorry and drag of straw on the A303 last week, me looking in my mirrors saw the passenger filming with a phone as she came to the back of the lorry, I informed her it was 2 o clock. Get a [zb] life I should think.

Gap looks ok? you having a laugh? but then if you do, it would explain why a lot of stupid drivers end up running into the vehicle in front of them!!

Go ■■■■ yourself pal

I have recently been commuting on the M6 by Stafford, where there is a strict 50mph speed limit enforced by average speed cameras. Narrow lanes, no hard shoulder and a solid concrete barrier on the nearside of lane one. Those speed limits are strictly enforced to protect the guys working at the side of the road. Lane one for me every time as coming off at next junction, bang on 50mph as don’t dawdle in dangerous sections like that. Other two lanes going the same speed too. I lost count of the number of times an HGV would come trundling up behind me, edging up to encourage me to go faster (even though there often a line of vehicles in front of me). Sure dude, I’m going to get points on my license because some other idiot is incapable of keeping to the speed limit.

puntabrava:

weeto:

puntabrava:

nick2008:

Go [zb] yourself pal

Just about sums up, ■■■■ defending ■■■■!

weeto:

puntabrava:

weeto:

puntabrava:

Go [zb] yourself pal

Just about sums up, [zb] defending [zb]!

popcorn.png

Don’t know what the big deal is. There was only one point in the video the truck was too close towards dangerous levels (36 seconds). He was hardly harassing the car driver throughout the duration of the film especially when you notice its also a fair hill he’s going down, just the typical gap you get in roadworks (real world gap - not the truck.net ambassadress for safe driving forum gap).

Car driver was clearly well under the limit anyway (see the speed in which the camera car was initially flying past the truck) - some gentle encouragement is needed at times. Its only on here the ‘‘perfect world’’ exists :unamused:

weeto:

Conor:

nick2008:

Do you have a license? A truck cannot go in the outside lane of a 3 or more lane motorway so it doesn’t matter a toss if the OP was alongside him as the truck cannot use that lane anyway.

But he maybe would if he had to take evasive action, he wouldnt want to take it off road would he! although some do.

Why would he need to take evasive action if he had sufficient stopping space?
I reaĺly can’t believe some of the comments here defending the driving and trying to even justify it by blaming the car driver (who had road position first - and was keeping a constant speed, using a lane they are entitled to use) the car wasn’t playing silly buggers either - the footage is 5 minutes long but it’s been edited as the truck and car weren’t close to start with.
The angle of the camera doesn’t make any difference either to how the gap is percieved. As my speed matched the truck at one point and he still got closer to the car then that can’t be camera trickery.
I’m all for drivers sticking together but some of you defending this seriously need to consider returning your licences if you really do think this is acceptable.

Seany:
How does the camera move to the side? Isn’t it a fixed dashcam?

No, I splashed out the extra cost and got the passenger operated upgrade.

puntabrava:

nick2008:

Yes, and filming from such an angle to make the gap look small but whenever he moves to the front of the lorry the gap looks ok.

Look at the shadows on the road. it has nothing to do with camera angles.

Having just watched it again i’d say the Waitrose driver was getting annoyed because the car driver was leaving a large gap between himself and the vehicle in front and was trying to speed the car up.

Your camera would be better put to use catching those who let their dogs ■■■■ in play parks or junkies dropping needles.

ajt:
Your camera would be better put to use catching those who let their dogs [zb] in play parks or junkies dropping needles.

I tried that when I was 17 but got a section 59 warning for tearing up the grass - what was the frying scotsman saying about the xr2i :wink:

bald bloke:
Having just watched it again i’d say the Waitrose driver was getting annoyed because the car driver was leaving a large gap between himself and the vehicle in front and was trying to speed the car up.

All depends what speed the car is doing. If the car is doing 40mph as per the speed limit then the truck driver truly needs to question his actions. If a few more drivers kept sensible separation distances then we’d all be sitting in far less aftermaths of when things go wrong.

Conor:

nick2008:

well that wasn’t made clear till AFTER was it :unamused: and yes I do have a licence …
The waitrose driver was wrong in what he was doing… all I said if you read it was

maybe the car driver was playing silly buggers earlier

we don’t know the full story do we or do you know something we don’t …
By the way its only 2 lanes there due to the roadworks so why you mention a 3 /4 lane motorway I really don’t know :unamused:

LIBERTY_GUY:

bald bloke:

All depends what speed the car is doing. If the car is doing 40mph as per the speed limit then the truck driver truly needs to question his actions. If a few more drivers kept sensible separation distances then we’d all be sitting in far less aftermaths of when things go wrong.

So if the car was doing less then 40 mph then that makes it ok what the Waitrose driver was doing does it ?

bald bloke:

LIBERTY_GUY:

bald bloke:

So if the car was doing less then 40 mph then that makes it ok what the Waitrose driver was doing does it ?

Thats the point. Does it make it right to tail someone who is driving too slow?

When a section of carrigeway is going down to a single lane, should we leave a safe gap for all the queue jumpers to go into?

If someone pulls out in front or causes us to brake, should we not show any anger towards them?

The answer is obviously no but in reality its yes.

bald bloke:

LIBERTY_GUY:

bald bloke:

Errr no, but there is another lane there if the Waitrose driver wants to overtake slower moving vehicles, whilst still keeping within the speed limit. If the car driver is doing 40mph and the Waitrose driver is trying to bully him into going faster (which we don’t know) then in that situation he would fully deserve to have his HGV license revoked as someone unfit to hold one.