Driving standards

I’m coming up 43, and have been driving HGV’s since I was 21, I have worked in a factory for the last 8 years, driving on a weekend, doing local work only.

I have been on holiday this week in Warwickshire (I’m from ■■■■■■■■■ the standard of driving has changed so much (in my opinion) since i came of the road, a couple of things I’ve seen this week;

1, A Halfords lorry bullying a car out of the way, the car was in the middle lane, over taking the lorry, the lorry driver just put his indicator on, and swerved at the car, the car was being overtaken so had nowhere to go, so ended up jumping on the brakes…
2, A car transporter straight out a services, straight into the first lane, didn’t build up speed on the slip road…
3, but the worst was coming up through Birmingham on the way home today, a black Iveco with a container on traveling in the 50mph variable speed zone about 6ft off a car, the car moved over, the lorry sped up to a van and sat there about 6ft of his bumper, the lorry driver would probably not even see the vans brake lights…
4, And the biggest thing that annoys me is the amount of cars that sit in the middle lane, no wounder we have so many tail backs…

Sorry for the rant, but i had to get it off my chest, I have been reading TNUK whilst I’ve been away, and the amount of defending that some people have been doing is a joke, it’s no wounder the public have a negative view of lorry drivers. Now I know that it is only a SMALL amount of drivers that behave in this way, a vast majority of lorry drivers, drive in the professional way that the public should see us, driving safe, courteous and professional.

Is that you, albion1971? :wink:

Left hand down!:
Is that you, albion1971? :wink:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Driving standards on our roads are largely pretty poor, you expect it from car drivers because they aren’t professionals, no excuse for us guys though. HGV’s tailgating cars and generally behaving aggressively is my #1 pet hate on the roads.

rob22888:
Driving standards on our roads are largely pretty poor, you expect it from car drivers because they aren’t professionals, no excuse for us guys though. HGV’s tailgating cars and generally behaving aggressively is my #1 pet hate on the roads.

no, that’s not albion 1971. this guy is :smiley:

Stevie B71:
I’m coming up 43, and have been driving HGV’s since I was 21, I have worked in a factory for the last 8 years, driving on a weekend, doing local work only.

I have been on holiday this week in Warwickshire (I’m from ■■■■■■■■■ the standard of driving has changed so much (in my opinion) since i came of the road, a couple of things I’ve seen this week;

Let me get this right, you’re an occasional driver from a rural part of the UK, and you think standards have gone down mainly in the South, where its busier anyway ? Lets have a look? !!! …

Stevie B71:
1, A Halfords lorry bullying a car out of the way, the car was in the middle lane, over taking the lorry, the lorry driver just put his indicator on, and swerved at the car, the car was being overtaken so had nowhere to go, so ended up jumping on the brakes…

WTF knows whats going on? Whats in front of the lorry ,the car etc… He never sounded his horn to let the lorry know he was there?

Stevie B71:
2, A car transporter straight out a services, straight into the first lane, didn’t build up speed on the slip road…

An unusual one this, car transporters are usually very fast off the mark, 0-56MPH in 22 sec if i’m not mistaken, some how this guys not putting his foot down?

Stevie B71:
3, but the worst was coming up through Birmingham on the way home today, a black Iveco with a container on traveling in the 50mph variable speed zone about 6ft off a car, the car moved over, the lorry sped up to a van and sat there about 6ft of his bumper, the lorry driver would probably not even see the vans brake lights…

Looks good to me, he’s got one car driver out his way. What was holding the van up?

Stevie B71:
4, And the biggest thing that annoys me is the amount of cars that sit in the middle lane, no wounder we have so many tail backs…

I usually do like the guy above, sit right on their arse, they soon move. :laughing:

Stevie B71:
Sorry for the rant, but i had to get it off my chest, I have been reading TNUK whilst I’ve been away, and the amount of defending that some people have been doing is a joke, it’s no wounder the public have a negative view of lorry drivers. Now I know that it is only a SMALL amount of drivers that behave in this way, a vast majority of lorry drivers, drive in the professional way that the public should see us, driving safe, courteous and professional.

The rants no prob, i understand, things are quiet in ■■■■■■■■ The hustle and bustle of the modern motorway escapes a lot of them. Daunting at times though for you guys living in villages ? If you where full time instead of the odd weekend then you’d be better prepared for the modern motoring conditions in urban areas, as it is you’re doing part time rural work. Culture shock for you eh ?

Grabbing get ,and not getting his weekly rest, :unamused: :unamused:

Yesterday a double decker bus was dropping off passengers, so I moved to the second lane to go past it. As I got close its right indicator came on and it pulled off, and I went past it. But she accelerated away really hard and came up my inside, slightly clipped my nearside mirror (it sort of tapped briefly), and then she needed to move into my lane because a parked car appeared in her lane, so she moved and indicated at the same time and forced me to brake quite firmly, as only part of her vehicle had cleared the front of mine. She went around the car and then immediately stopped at a bus stop. I was totally gobsmacked. Not angry, just gobsmacked.

I was so shocked and appalled that I took her reg and, and for the first time in my entire driving career I’m going to make a complaint about a fellow ‘professional’ driver. I just couldn’t believe the aggression, arrogance, and stupidity - she had passengers on board and was trying to force her bus through a gap which wasn’t actually there.

Some people seriously need to realise that other drivers are not competitors, enemies, or conquests, and would instead benefit from removing their emotions and ego from the driving situation. There’s no shame in easing off when it is called for; that’s a strong position to take. There is shame in forcing other drivers to drastically change speed or direction; that’s a very weak thing to do to another.

Mike-C:
Let me get this right, you’re an occasional driver from a rural part of the UK

Correct, but why does me being an “occasional driver” make a difference?

Mike-C:
you think standards have gone down mainly in the South,

Where do I say driving standards “have mainly gone down in the south”, mine was a general observation of all my trip down to Warwickshire, how can I comment on the south when at my last look at a map and not a sat nav, Warwickshire is in the midlands (or close to it), and driving standards in ■■■■■■■ is definitely no different!

So Mike why the sarcasm, a’m I not allowed to have a say? Can I not put across what I’ve seen, can you honestly say that the level of driving is the same now as it was say 10 years ago, when the amount of traffic less?

ezydriver:
Yesterday a double decker bus was dropping off passengers, so I moved to the second lane to go past it. As I got close its right indicator came on and it pulled off, and I went past it. But she accelerated away really hard and came up my inside, slightly clipped my nearside mirror (it sort of tapped briefly), and then she needed to move into my lane because a parked car appeared in her lane, so she moved and indicated at the same time and forced me to brake quite firmly, as only part of her vehicle had cleared the front of mine. She went around the car and then immediately stopped at a bus stop. I was totally gobsmacked. Not angry, just gobsmacked.

I was so shocked and appalled that I took her reg and, and for the first time in my entire driving career I’m going to make a complaint about a fellow ‘professional’ driver. I just couldn’t believe the aggression, arrogance, and stupidity - she had passengers on board and was trying to force her bus through a gap which wasn’t actually there.

Some people seriously need to realise that other drivers are not competitors, enemies, or conquests, and would instead benefit from removing their emotions and ego from the driving situation. There’s no shame in easing off when it is called for; that’s a strong position to take. There is shame in forcing other drivers to drastically change speed or direction; that’s a very weak thing to do to another.

Post this on a bus forum, and you will probably get the same response the OP has got!

ezydriver:

It’s what buses do stop and start, it’s how they drop off and pick up passengers.

The incessant whinges by so called professional drivers is a joke. Do none of them ever drive cars or use buses, obviously not they are cocooned in their cabs oblivious to what the rest of the world is all about.

seth 70:
Grabbing get ,and not getting his weekly rest, :unamused: :unamused:

Needs must!!, and as I’m only an “occasional driver” I only do every other weekend so I get beauty sleep :laughing:

Driving standards are very poor all round and not just from LGV’s as we all know.
It does not matter what part of the country you are in or whether it is rural or not.Standards are poor everywhere.
Anyone that does not believe that needs to do some serious revision.

Its nothing new. Truckers and car drivers were just as bad decades ago.

waddy640:

ezydriver:

It’s what buses do stop and start, it’s how they drop off and pick up passengers.

The incessant whinges by so called professional drivers is a joke. Do none of them ever drive cars or use buses, obviously not they are cocooned in their cabs oblivious to what the rest of the world is all about.

So you think her driving was acceptable? She undertook me and hit my mirror, then forced me to hit my brakes, lol. But yeah, you’re right, buses have to stop and start so as long as they do that then everything else in between is ok regardless of how it’s conducted.

ezydriver:
So you think her driving was acceptable? She undertook me and hit my mirror, then forced me to hit my brakes, lol. But yeah, you’re right, buses have to stop and start so as long as they do that then everything else in between is ok regardless of how it’s conducted.

Yep quite acceptable and what any pro driver would expect from a bus driver and be on the look out for when in this situation.

Sorry if this sounds flippant but we are professionals which carries not only a responsibility to set an example but also to allow for errors / dramas caused by other motorists. We don’t need to be in the right we just need to make progress from A - B as safely as possible. If in doing so we show good road craft then thats a bonus.

Obviously if you felt a reporting of this incident was necessary thats your choice but it would take something a bit more serious than this non event to get me excited.
Just my opinion of course…

ezydriver:

waddy640:

ezydriver:

If you drive on the basis that every other driver is an accident waiting to happen then you will generally foresee these problems. You knew she was iffy by the fact that she hit your mirror, common sense dictates that you give her a wide berth and don’t sit on her rear end. As you agree, buses have to stop, perhaps she got a late bell, but whatever the reason you should have expected it.

Dipper_Dave:

ezydriver:

Yep quite acceptable and what any pro driver would expect from a bus driver and be on the look out for when in this situation.

Sorry if this sounds flippant but we are professionals which carries not only a responsibility to set an example but also to allow for errors / dramas caused by other motorists. We don’t need to be in the right we just need to make progress from A - B as safely as possible. If in doing so we show good road craft then thats a bonus.

Obviously if you felt a reporting of this incident was necessary thats your choice but it would take something a bit more serious than this non event to get me excited.

Ha ha, I should have known better than to have posted this on a forum.

Though I understand and respect your point of view, I argue that no professional in the world can foresee and ward off every conceivable and potentially dangerous situation one can find themselves in - most of them yes, but every single one, no. Such occurrences are contingent on forces outside of one’s control which introduces an element of unpredictability to all situations. It’s similar to the red light camera dilemma. Do we slow down and anticipate, or do we maintain a set speed? Both are relative to forces out of one’s control (i.e. the precise moment the lights actually change). If we slow down and the lights don’t change, we would have been better off maintaining a set speed as we would not have necessarily needed to stop and we can continue making progress. If we maintain a set speed the lights may change and we may have to perform an emergency stop and we would have been better off anticipating the lights by slowing a little. In both cases both have a pro and a con dependent on factors outside our control.

It raises the question, should I have anticipated the bus pulling off and slowed down (it might not have pulled off and I’d have interrupted the flow of traffic for nothing and impeded my progress), or should I have done what I did and progressed by overtaking (it still might not have pulled off and all would have been ok). All this to be calculated and decided in a matter of seconds, with the addition of a factor outside of my direct control. Yes, you’re correct, I could have backed off the immediate moment the bus pulled off alongside me, but then it becomes a matter of probability. That is, what is the likelihood a driver of a passenger carrying vehicle would squeeze down the inside of me, collide with me, and then bully me out of the way? But yes, you’re right, you live and learn. I shall expect the unexpected with bus drivers and treat them like the non-professionals they are in future. Thank you for my education.

And such a manoeuvre wouldn’t get you excited? It might if your children were on the bus.

ezydriver:

Dipper_Dave:

ezydriver:

Ha ha, I should have known better than to have posted this on a forum.

Though I understand and respect your point of view, I argue that no professional in the world can foresee and ward off every conceivable and potentially dangerous situation one can find themselves in - most of them yes, but every single one, no. Such occurrences are contingent on forces outside of one’s control which introduces an element of unpredictability to all situations. It’s similar to the red light camera dilemma. Do we slow down and anticipate, or do we maintain a set speed? Both are relative to forces out of one’s control (i.e. the precise moment the lights actually change). If we slow down and the lights don’t change, we would have been better off maintaining a set speed as we would not have necessarily needed to stop and we can continue making progress. If we maintain a set speed the lights may change and we may have to perform an emergency stop and we would have been better off anticipating the lights by slowing a little. In both cases both have a pro and a con dependent on factors outside our control.

It raises the question, should I have anticipated the bus pulling off and slowed down (it might not have pulled off and I’d have interrupted the flow of traffic for nothing and impeded my progress), or should I have done what I did and progressed by overtaking (it still might not have pulled off and all would have been ok). All this to be calculated and decided in a matter of seconds, with the addition of a factor outside of my direct control. Yes, you’re correct, I could have backed off the immediate moment the bus pulled off alongside me, but then it becomes a matter of probability. That is, what is the likelihood a driver of a passenger carrying vehicle would squeeze down the inside of me, collide with me, and then bully me out of the way? But yes, you’re right, you live and learn. I shall expect the unexpected with bus drivers and treat them like the non-professionals they are in future. Thank you for my education.

And such a manoeuvre wouldn’t get you excited? It might if your children were on the bus.

Buses have been pulling away from stops without for giving notice for years, not something new. Very similar to lorry drivers changing lanes without signalling or giving other drivers a chance to allow them to pull out. It’s what happens.

ajt:
Its nothing new. Truckers and car drivers were just as bad decades ago.

In your dreams pal.Drivers used to be courteous and truck drivers were known as Knights of the Road.What are they called now?
Standards have dropped dramatically in recent years and not just with driving either.
I read one of dipper daves posts the other day and he was saying how he drove and acted and I thought how rare that type of driver is these days.
Everyone is in too much of a rush and few drivers have any patience anymore.

Wake up eh.