Driving old junk

Anybody driving a wagon with higher milage. I’m in a 51 plate fm

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Is that the first or second time round?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

My mate is driving an 07 FH, 1,252,000km, drives like new apparently.

Have you been driving long?

Plenty of million kms trucks around often on surprisingly new plates if they’re double shifted.

My old F16 had 1,200,000km on it. Was still in perfect condition though, mechanically and cosmetically, big distance doesnt always mean old junk…

“My” previous unit (59 plate Daf CF) had about 1.4 million km on the clock when we parted company 12 months ago.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

11 plate Renault Premium I used to drive went back to the hire company when it was just 3.5 yrs old. Was just about to hit 900k kms when it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 11 plate actros is on 650000

To be fair it’s pulls well but I’m tramping in it and it is minging inside. I’m spending an hour a day trying to scrub the cig smoke stains of the walls. Guess I’ve always been spoilt in previous jobs.

I’m driving a Scania r420 62 plate went on the road Nov 2012 now showing 920000k’s.

mikemccord72:
To be fair it’s pulls well but I’m tramping in it and it is minging inside. I’m spending an hour a day trying to scrub the cig smoke stains of the walls. Guess I’ve always been spoilt in previous jobs.

Along with putting the curtains in the washing machine a good vet vac with some odour neutraliser in there will most likely get rid of the worst of it.

My 11 plate r480 clicked over a million a few weeks ago and still goes like stink, had a new turbo 9 months ago. Still a nice drive :wink:

Last place I worked in 2015 we sold a 2003 FH12 with over million kms, still drove well and was tidy inside, just was surplus to requirements.
and last time I was on general haulage I was driving a Renault Premium 420 with over a million kms, but that had a hard life the interior was shot to pieces, but run ok. well aswell as a 420 Renault could be considered to run well. :laughing:

AndrewG:

mikemccord72:

Along with putting the curtains in the washing machine a good vet vac with some odour neutraliser in there will most likely get rid of the worst of it.

Washing the curtains makes a difference, I also found the FH we had you could remove both mattress covers and wash them. Don’t mind an old truck with high mileage as long as it’s been maintained properly, but hate getting one with a grubby interior.

Our MAN’s are double shifted 24/7 365 & most of out 16 reg are close if not over 300,000k

700,000k’s it’s barely run in. My glorious Magnum is on 1,287,641k’s…13 years old and I have had it since almost new, it was a demonstrator but the
part that makes me laugh, the guy I work with and do the same work as his rigs, has changed his fleet 3 times in the time I have had the Maggie.
Now I have called it a day and Maggie might move on to new home, Smokers only apply, so the truck has seen me out. Great rig.

mikemccord72:

If it’s a new job, why ydidn’t you ask/tell them to valet it before your first trip out?
It’s bad enough driving a minging ■■■■ pit, but living in one is a step too far mate.
Did you see that ep of Top Gear where they took samples in a used car, ■■■■, ■■■■■, sh, hair, dry skin, snot, blood, fleas, you name it,…it was there.
Enjoy your kip on the bunk tonight. :laughing:

There’s not such thing as old junk , just drivers who are rough and operators that don’t keep on top of jobs .

My regular steed is a 51 plate Scania 420. It’s got a few knocks and dings as could be expected
but the inside is still decent. I’ve no idea what the true mileage is but the speedo shows 540k
It’s probably had a new tacho or two in it’s life. The firm never buys new motors.

My Daf 8w is an 09 and has done just under 354000km, but is really showing it’s age after spending its’ life on local runs. The body is still pretty good but it’s always getting random air leaks and has recently cost about £2k in repairs.