driving licence

Hi Mates

Got one question. I just received my licence from DVLA. The thing I do not understand is that there is no B+E or B1+E on it. I thought that C+E gives you B+E as well. Is this mean that I would have to pass another test to get B+E. I can drive artics, wagon and drags but not cars with trailer above 750kg . Is that correct :question: Please could someone explain it to me. thanks.
Kokosz

I don’t know why they don’t put it on, I presume it’s standard procedure not to. The CE being the higher category will cover you for anything in the BE range so you won’t need to do a separate test.

There are 2 seperate sections to a licence
The original catagories you got when passing B - these catagories stay listed on the licence and usually have a 70 age limit on them

The extra catagories you get when upgrading are put as extra on the licence but can be so many that usually, only the highest one of those is listed as it covers the other included in that upgrade - these are subject to other rules to retain them, such as periodic medicals and different age restrictions.

The reason that it is done this way is that you could lose the upgraded part for one reason or another but retain the ones that were got when the B test was passed.

Losing the B test catagory will also result in the loss of the upgrades.

Hope this makes sense… :question:

ROG:
The reason that it is done this way is that you could lose the upgraded part for one reason or another but retain the ones that were got when the B test was passed.

So what you’re saying is if he lost his CE he would also lose his BE so they can’t put BE on his licence, wheras if I lost my CE I wouldn’t lose my BE (because I got it by passing my car test) so it can be shown on my licence (?)

It’s a total shambles so it is.

The DVLA should start putting ALL categories & subcategories on as the lower ones omitted may have longer validity (grandfather rights).

I’m going to send mine back and tell them to sort it out. (Including getting the 01 eyesight correction applied to the correct categories).

Also I want my B1 back on that I had for years! :stuck_out_tongue:

mrpj:

ROG:

So what you’re saying is if he lost his CE he would also lose his BE so they can’t put BE on his licence, wheras if I lost my CE I wouldn’t lose my BE (because I got it by passing my car test) so it can be shown on my licence (?)

I THINK that is the way it works
The DVLA can revoke parts of an upgrade as I know of one guy who lost his entitlement to drive C+E due to a medical condition but kept the rest - don’t ask me how that worked that one out though :confused: :confused: :confused:

I’ve got code 01 (eyesight correction) against everything but CE.

I can drive round all day happily in an artic with no glasses until I drop the trailer and run it bobtail or get in the car to go home. :unamused:

8wheels:

I can drive round all day happily in an artic with no glasses until I drop the trailer and run it bobtail or get in the car to go home. :unamused:

Perhaps the DVLA think artic drivers go around with their eyes closed :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

… yes, that IS a joke :exclamation:

Hope this makes sense…

Nope you lost me there Rog.

I just checked my licence and it definately does have BE and also C1E as well as DE and D1E and CE
So if I where you I wold call the DVLA and have a word

Mothertrucker:

Hope this makes sense…

Nope you lost me there Rog.

I just checked my licence and it definately does have BE and also C1E as well as DE and D1E and CE
So if I where you I wold call the DVLA and have a word

Check the expiry dates on each catagory to see which bits are the upgraded ones :wink: :slight_smile:

Now here is another puzzle for us all.
Rog and I where just chatting on the phone about this.
He has worked it out that if you passed your original (B) test prior to 97 then you will have C1E and BE on your licence already that will last you a lifetime.
No problems so far.
If you then passed your heavy good this only lasts untill it has to be renewed and if you let it go then you still have the original catagories on it. (BE and C1E)
But if you passed after 97 then all the catagories apart from B are void if you dont renew the heavy goods.
The question I put forward is this.
You pass your artic test and work as an artic driver untill retirement.
You then want to enjoy your retirement and go off with your caravan behind your car to enjoy the country.
If your E is revoked then you will not be allowed to do this will you■■?
Looks like another clanger dropped by the DVLA

(Vosa are pulling caravans wholesale at the moment)

The licence that was issue in between these two had all 01 codes across it, which was wrong as my eyesight isn’t that bad and I can comply with Group 1 medical requirements without eyesight correction.

It may look something like the second one, but even the DVLA can’t get that right as it says I can drive my C1E without specs on! Also, I’d like to stress I actually passed my cat D on the 13th December and not the same day as CE… :unamused:

Actually, do I need to meet Group 1 or Group 2 eyesight requirements under grandfather rights :question:

Mothertrucker:
If you then passed your heavy good this only lasts untill it has to be renewed and if you let it go then you still have the original catagories on it. (BE and C1E)
But if you passed after 97 then all the catagories apart from B are void if you dont renew the heavy goods.
The question I put forward is this.
You then want to enjoy your retirement and go off with your caravan behind your car to enjoy the country.

Surely an upgrade of B to BE by way of CE pass, should have an entitlement expiry of 70?

Mothertrucker:
Looks like another clanger dropped by the DVLA

(Vosa are pulling caravans wholesale at the moment)

I’m sure I’ve heard that caravans are not subject to the weight requirements and are not treated like ‘normal’ trailers, ie they could be over 750kgs and you could still drive them without having BE.

mrpj:
I’m sure I’ve heard that caravans are not subject to the weight requirements and are not treated like ‘normal’ trailers, ie they could be over 750kgs and you could still drive them without having BE.

Sound like a MMTM classic :laughing:

macplaxton:

mrpj:

That’s what I thought :laughing: , although there could be an element of truth in it :confused:

8wheels:

I can drive round all day happily in an artic with no glasses until I drop the trailer and run it bobtail or get in the car to go home.

Yep, you’re not the only one. My license says the same.

macplaxton:

mrpj:

Yep, that’s what I’d say…

No you cant. This is what all the fuss is about now.
Drivers passing their tests after 97 and pulling a heavy caravan are breaking the law - even if they dont know it.
that is why VOSA are having a field day pulling them over. It is their latest game.

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

So a caravan could be towed thatis over 750kgs!!

OK, I’ve just phoned the DVLA and had the definitive answers :slight_smile:

When the upgraded part of a licence is no longer valid, lets say the C+E, then all the other catagories that were covered by that upgrade are also not valid any more.

After 97 B test driver would be left with just that - the B. - they lose C+E, C. C1+E, C1, D1+E (restriction code 101 still applies unless got D) & B+E

The B holder can tow a trailer where the maximum combined weight does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the towing vehicle must be heavier than the trailer. - I found this strange as I always thought that it was a max trailer of 750kgs but apparantly I was wrong :!: :blush: :blush:

Before 97 B test driver only loses C+E, C, C1+E & D1+E (restriction code 101 still applies unless got D)

Hope this clarifies things