Driving licence

Company I deliver to require your driving licence whilst being tipped are they legally allowed to

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Making a photo copy or actually wanting the card? I definitely wouldn’t give them the card in case they lost the bugger.

Sims Metal seemed to confuse themselves with the law over scrap metal when the rule came in to provide ID when selling scrap. They started to ask the drivers for a copy of their licence even though we are not selling the metal just bringing it in from another Sims depot or another scrap yard.

Our boss was happy for us to refuse giving them our licence to check it as he said it’s his problem checking our licences.

They want it while I tip which is 2 hours so in that time they could copy or anything

mdourish:
Company I deliver to require your driving licence whilst being tipped are they legally allowed to

I would say no. I recently had this at a place down near Heathrow and I said no you can’t have it. You can see it with your eyes and that’s it. They asked me if they could photo copy it and I said no. They asked me why and I said GDPR. They said ok and still got tipped.
When I mentioned this to my bosses they said you don’t have to give your ID to anyone. You can show them but that’s as far as it goes. and if I was to have any hassle then to call the office.
So in answer to your question. I would say no.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You could…

Try and baffle them with DPA waffle.

‘I want your driving licence please’

‘Sure, no problem but I’d like you to tell me what you and your company intend to do with my personal details, how they will be protected, which systems you have in place to protect my details and when and how you delete all or any of the aforementioned details’.

Alternatively just say you haven’t got your licence on you.

For what reason would they want to hold on to your licence while you’re being tipped :confused: :confused: :confused:

tachograph:
For what reason would they want to hold on to your licence while you’re being tipped :confused: :confused: :confused:

Basically it’s to borrow a reducer as it’s the only site we need one on

tachograph:

Mebbe to do with licences for tipping, companies employing drivers, drivers working for companies, checking that the driver/company is registered for tipping,. I dunno, I´m just waffling :slight_smile:

No Joe Bloggs gets to take my licence away to the office unless I go with it. And I get to carry it at all times.

mdourish:

tachograph:

Basically it’s to borrow a reducer as it’s the only site we need one on

Oh I see so it’s to ensure you return the item you’ve borrowed, I suppose it makes sense if they’ve had some lost or stolen in the past, but I would have thought they could find a less controversial way to ensure the return of the reducer than asking drivers to hand over their own personal belongings.

steviespain:

tachograph:

Mebbe to do with licences for tipping, companies employing drivers, drivers working for companies, checking that the driver/company is registered for tipping,. I dunno, I´m just waffling :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing:

Waffling … yeah that’s what we’ll call it :smiley: :wink:

tachograph:

steviespain:

tachograph:

:laughing: :laughing:

Ok, “talkin sh i te” :smiley:

steviespain:

tachograph:

steviespain:

tachograph:

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Ok, “talkin sh i te” :smiley:

Getting as bad as dozy

mdourish:
Getting as bad as dozy

You missed a smilie off there, mate. :slight_smile:

Most companies I delivered to in Europe asked for ID, being British we don’t have ID cards and we didn’t have photo licences so a passport was the only thing you could leave in the gatehouse,

Wheel Nut:
Most companies I delivered to in Europe asked for ID, being British we don’t have ID cards and we didn’t have photo licences so a passport was the only thing you could leave in the gatehouse,

Good point Mr N.
In Spain it´s the law to carry ID. We used to have to carry our passport around. This meant that 1, it got well dog eared, and 2, danger of losing it or getting it stolen.
We got em photocopied, reduced in size, and laminated. That was acceptable to plod over there.

I still don’t understand how the government failed to introduce identity cards, does anyone have any valid objection today?

Wheel Nut:
I still don’t understand how the government failed to introduce identity cards, does anyone have any valid objection today?

It´s that Big Brother thing, isn´t it. I don´t want the Government to have me on a leash, watching me all the time, it´s one more step to taking away all of my civil liberties. etc etc.

I carried one for years in the army, I carry my driving licence everywhere I go, same as my Oyster card and bank cards. We all do.
I´d have no problem carrying an extra national ID card.
Depends on if they put a tracker chip in it :slight_smile:

No chance would I be handing over my license, can’t you give them a code if they want to check it?

vikingpete:
No chance would I be handing over my license, can’t you give them a code if they want to check it?

Why, would they need to check it … he doesn’t work for them only his employers need to know if he has a valid licence … personally tell them to go do one … why do you drivers just ■■■■ it up and take crap off of these idiots … man up.

Dont know what a reducer is, but unless you’re driving it on a public road and they have to insure you for that i cant see what the licence will help with. Then again thats kindof between your biss and that company to deal with as presumably its pre-booked.

Cant remember but is there a law stating that general drivers have to have their licence on them? I do as most of what we do is ADR but honestly cant remember for general haulage.

If not then can simply tell them no licence carried but never been asked even for ID except at a nuclear research MOD site - kindof understandable.