Driving Licence Warning

bbc.co.uk/news/business-20968886

sorry but its down to the licence holder to check their licence. :unamused:

I would think a lot of people pass the test then file the licence at the back of a drawer and never think about it again. Bit like reading the highway code etc

no different to ur passport … get to the airport and ooh bother its outta date :unamused:

dri-diddly-iver:
I would think a lot of people pass the test then file the licence at the back of a drawer and never think about it again. Bit like reading the highway code etc

How many bothered to read the Highway Code in the first place?

I updated mine when required. The problem within this country is that the whole driving license aspect needs changing. People think that because you pass your test then that is that because you never have to go back to your license again. I suspect most people don’t realise a driving license even has an expiry date. Maybe medicals for any driver should be more frequent and even refresher courses every 7 years to improve the standard of driving rather than speed awareness courses if you are caught speeding. It’s amazing how simple things such as 10% of people don’t know when rear fog lights should be used or that percentage of people who think that coming up the acceleration lane or slip road onto a main carriageway that they have right of way over the vehicles already on it. These are just basics of driving.

Kerbdog:
The problem within this country is that the whole driving license aspect needs changing. People think that because you pass your test then that is that because you never have to go back to your license again. I suspect most people don’t realise a driving license even has an expiry date. Maybe medicals for any driver should be more frequent and even refresher courses every 7 years to improve the standard of driving rather than speed awareness courses if you are caught speeding. It’s amazing how simple things such as 10% of people don’t know when rear fog lights should be used or that percentage of people who think that coming up the acceleration lane or slip road onto a main carriageway that they have right of way over the vehicles already on it. These are just basics of driving.

Pretty much spot on as far as I’m concerned.

Been reading the comments on the BBC website, normal drivel that you’d expect from people who can’t understand that a driving licence isn’t a birth right.

muckles:
people who can’t understand that a driving licence isn’t a birth right.

I think that’s a fine way of putting it !

What gets me is, if its that bloody important to them (dvla) why dont they put out a tv add like they do for everything else like road tax etc?

If DVLA believe that having an up to date photo is that important, why do they issue a licence and a digi card, that will expire within ten days of each other, with different photos? One of them will have a 15 year old photo by that time.

Kerbdog:
I updated mine when required. The problem within this country is that the whole driving license aspect needs changing. People think that because you pass your test then that is that because you never have to go back to your license again. I suspect most people don’t realise a driving license even has an expiry date. Maybe medicals for any driver should be more frequent and even refresher courses every 7 years to improve the standard of driving rather than speed awareness courses if you are caught speeding. It’s amazing how simple things such as 10% of people don’t know when rear fog lights should be used or that percentage of people who think that coming up the acceleration lane or slip road onto a main carriageway that they have right of way over the vehicles already on it. These are just basics of driving.

Perhaps we should go back to having traffic police to observe and advise drivers of their errors, I always found it far more effective.

waddy640:
If DVLA believe that having an up to date photo is that important, why do they issue a licence and a digi card, that will expire within ten days of each other, with different photos? One of them will have a 15 year old photo by that time.

I got about 20 passport type photo’s from when I was a whipper snapper.
So far none have been rejected, I’ve got the same photo’s on current licence and digi card, along with passport :slight_smile:

Until such time as someone cottons on and rejects them, I’ll keep submitting them, just to see how long I can be 16 :slight_smile:

Kerbdog:

The problem is when they sneakily brought out photo licences, they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date! Your licence is valid till the day before your senile ( I mean seventieth birthday ) :unamused: :open_mouth: HGV entitlement till you’re 45 years young hence the Medicals! :laughing: more money for the namby pamby governmint! Robbing barstewards! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

they send reminders

Fatboy slimslow:
[ they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date!

Apart from the document they enclosed which made it clear in bold print…

waddy640:

Money making excercise.
Having said that I have no sympathy for people who fail to renew and are subsequently fined £1000. Can you imagine the public outcry if HGV drivers were fined for not renewing their licences. No, me neither.

mrpj:

Fatboy slimslow:
[ they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date!

Apart from the document they enclosed which made it clear in bold print…

not when we first had paper ones the size of a newspaper! And the book before it pal! :open_mouth: :unamused: :sunglasses: :grimacing: :grimacing:

whats everyone on about?
you get a reminder to near the end of 10 years to renew and you send a new photo off with the old licence and you get a new one back with your new photo.

Fatboy slimslow:
The problem is when they sneakily brought out photo licences, they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date! Your licence is valid till the day before your senile ( I mean seventieth birthday ) :unamused: :open_mouth: HGV entitlement till you’re 45 years young hence the Medicals! :laughing: more money for the namby pamby governmint! Robbing barstewards! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

You mean apart from the date on the front of the licence that says valid from and valid to :unamused:

waddy640:

dri-diddly-iver:

How many bothered to read the Highway Code in the first place?

In my granddads later years, he ‘stole’ a copy from the local newsagents thinking it was a free leaflet they were giving out at the checkout :blush: