Driving Licence Warning

Fatboy slimslow:
The problem is when they sneakily brought out photo licences, they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date! Your licence is valid till the day before your senile ( I mean seventieth birthday ) :unamused: :open_mouth: HGV entitlement till you’re 45 years young hence the Medicals! :laughing: more money for the namby pamby governmint! Robbing barstewards! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

So it’s says on the licence, it probably has something when get the licence, they send you a reminder and they release information to the media, this isn’t the first time I’ve seen it reported. I’ve also seen it publicised on a company notice board.

How much more notice do people need? :open_mouth:

Some people are to lazy or ignorant to take responsibility for a simple bit of admin, then blame the government for their own incompetence. We get a nanny state because to many idiots expect the state to nanny them. :imp:

Fatboy slimslow:
Your licence is valid till the day before your senile ( I mean seventieth birthday ) :unamused: :open_mouth: HGV entitlement till you’re 45 years young hence the Medicals! :laughing: more money for the namby pamby governmint! Robbing barstewards! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Renewals at age 70+ and for HGV (and bus) drivers are of course free, so there’s no robbing going on and no money going to the government. But don’t let a few facts get in the way of a good rant :unamused:

If the photo has to be a good likeness, how come you don’t have to renew it if you a, grow a beard or b, have a beard on the photo and then shave it off. Similarly, quite a few of the fairer ■■■ can be made totally unrelated to a photo of themselves with (or without) the slap.
I worked with a guy once who was a bald as they come, one night in town this guy was smiling at me in a pub and was about to get a slap when he spoke. The same guy in a wig!
So, taking that into account (add in people dying or perming or cutting/shaving their hair) does the ten year rule really work, or is it like the SORN rule, designed to earn revenue from those who default?

Does anyone else think that in ten years time, there will be so few people left with licences, that the entire driving industry will disappear…
If we could get rid of “foreigner come lately” before that time, we have a chance of survival as an industry.
Both Germany and America have threatened Cameron this past week already “not to let us have a say in leaving Europe” - because continuing to enslave the population here is so important to all that profit flowing abroad. :angry:

As it is now, the next item you’ll have delivered to your door is unlikely as it is to be delivered by a local accented British person, or even a foreigner educated here. :frowning:

“When crap becomes money, the poor will be those born without arses.”

Roymondo:

Fatboy slimslow:
Your licence is valid till the day before your senile ( I mean seventieth birthday ) :unamused: :open_mouth: HGV entitlement till you’re 45 years young hence the Medicals! :laughing: more money for the namby pamby governmint! Robbing barstewards! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Renewals at age 70+ and for HGV (and bus) drivers are of course free, so there’s no robbing going on and no money going to the government. But don’t let a few facts get in the way of a good rant :unamused:

HGV/PCV 5-yearly renewals won’t be free for much longer if the government get their way. They say it’s unsustainable as, from 19th January, all HGV/PCV drivers (even under 45) will need to declare themselves medically fit every 5 years, or have a full medical at 45 and after. That will require a new photocard licence every 5 years.

I posted a thread on here about the consulation, but no-one paid any attention to it. So no doubt we’ll all be shafted. Oh well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85875&p=1194796

mrpj:

Fatboy slimslow:
[ they didn’t tell anyone about the 10 year expiry date!

Apart from the document they enclosed which made it clear in bold print…

And the TV and radio campaigns, and at the post office and the transport cafes and by the internet, there is a huge thread about it on these forums. This was about 9 years after the first tranche of photo licences were released

It also says it on 4b of your licence and digital card

martyh:

Fatboy slimslow:
You mean apart from the date on the front of the licence that says valid from and valid to :unamused:

you’ve missed my point, I’ve read my licence, valid from and valid to! Whenever you swapped you’re paper licence ( if you had one ) :sunglasses: the one before we had the little European communities one, because :unamused: SHOCK HORROR we had TWO LICENCES! :open_mouth: :unamused: one was a car licence the second one was you’re HGV licence! Abit like the daily telegraph! :grimacing: :grimacing: alot of older lads will tell you if you got pulled over for speeding in the car, hand over HGV licence to get points and vice versa! I’ve not read the OP link as I’m not a thick motorist or civvy [zb] or ignorant of the rules! I CAN READ ENGLISH ON MY LICENCE, PASSPORT, DIGI AND DQC! ENDEX! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

it’s just a money making scam. other EU countries issue a licence that dosn’t need renewing, so why us?

limeyphil:
it’s just a money making scam. other EU countries issue a licence that dosn’t need renewing, so why us?

I think EU Directive 2006/126/EEC may well be changing that as from this year. AIUI all new licences issued in the EU will need to be renewed every 10-15 years (5 years for LGV and PCV licences - with a medical examination).

lizard:
whats everyone on about?
you get a reminder to near the end of 10 years to renew and you send a new photo off with the old licence and you get a new one back with your new photo.

Just looked at mine, there’s a little hologram just under the photo gives you the expiry date .
Thanks for raising the subject I wouldn’t have known to check