Driving in the snow/ice

HI all.

Little experience in driving in the snow and ice in a truck

Boss hasn’t said otherwise. But would you be driving in snow?

Location derby bad snow
Truck 8wheel tipper not sure on road contitions up to the quarry but it’s up B roads

Little nervous about tipping on building sites most these days are on hills lol

Youll be fine enjoy the day if you dont drive in the snow then you cant learn.

You’ll be fine unless it freezes ,it’s a different world up here than Derby .

Colin_scottish:
Youll be fine enjoy the day if you dont drive in the snow then you cant learn.

Wot he said :slight_smile:

It’s a tough one because obviously all companies will want us to crack on drive but the reality on the ground may mean that’s not possible.

What I will say is you are that person on the ground so it’s your decision but make sure you don’t commit to going to a place where you may get stuck. Get out and check if needed because that’s quicker than getting stick or filling in forms because you’ve slid into something. Also if you’re failing something take photos to back up your reasons.

Just cover your arse basically. Take it easy. Watch out for other road users.

Thanks both. I’ve drove a few weeks ago in fresh snow all went well just did 50 instead of 56 lol

Its due to freeze tonight that’s all I’m really worried about. Don’t mind giving it ago just want to be safe.

My boss is an arse and would have me out in 10foot of water. Pointless asking him I know what he’ll say would rather just pull a sicky and save the drama of a bump

Which quarry are you coming up to ?

toonsy:
It’s a tough one because obviously all companies will want us to crack on drive but the reality on the ground may mean that’s not possible.

What I will say is you are that person on the ground so it’s your decision but make sure you don’t commit to going to a place where you may get stuck. Get out and check if needed because that’s quicker than getting stick or filling in forms because you’ve slid into something. Also if you’re failing something take photos to back up your reasons.

Just cover your arse basically. Take it easy. Watch out for other road users.

Thank you buddy I think I’ll go with this ill be extra carful but without beING a fanny about it !

My boss is the type of guy who would send you out in anything family run business he needs the money I guess

Punchy Dan:
Which quarry are you coming up to ?

On off a515 Buxton area

I would prefer a rigid to an artic in snow.

Ergot2005:
HI all.

Location derby bad snow
Truck 8wheel tipper not sure on road contitions up to the quarry but it’s up B roads

I’m going to get slated for this. Are you a newly passed driver?

From my experience, there are not many tipper drivers come on here asking “should we drive in the snow”!!

FFS man. Grow a pair. Drive to the conditions of the road and the weather!
Do you actually think Tesco trucks stop running when we have a “dusting” of snow?

There would be questions asked in the house!

You’ve answered your own concerns: run at 50 instead of56 and keep her lit!!

An 8 wheeler, presumably double drive, tipper is the vehicle of choice for weather like this.
Nothing stops them.

Get out there and get it done.

Just been on the 515 for a look at road conditions and it’s not very good, freezing at -2 at the moment and the road is very slippery,looks like a severe lack of gritting and the wind is blowing snow onto the road, having said that I’m heading for Stockport at 5.30am
I would think Allsop moor hill will be blocked in the morning so I would head up the 38 and come up the via gellia to Newhaven myself

Moose:
Just been on the 515 for a look at road conditions and it’s not very good, freezing at -2 at the moment and the road is very slippery,looks like a severe lack of gritting and the wind is blowing snow onto the road, having said that I’m heading for Stockport at 5.30am
I would think Allsop moor hill will be blocked in the morning so I would head up the 38 and come up the via gellia to Newhaven myself

Lol thanks.

Hey butcher been passed a year and a half. Like I said not drove much in snow don’t know what’s expected. Not going to spend time defending my question it’s a question i would rather be safe then sorry. Hence why I’ve asked people with much more experience. … ■■■■■■■■ think I’ve just wasted time trying to defend myself now lol

I’ll get out in the morning and take my time. As long as I can get my stupidly lowerd front wheel drive astra out of the village lol

Thanks all

Anyone else see the ITV news tonight. Showed you the M6 in awful conditions. Almost every driver keeping a safe distance then we see an artic tailgating a car,only a few feet away.
These idiots make my blood boil. I would go down quite happily after kicking the ■■■■ out of the driver. :imp:

Punchy Dan:
You’ll be fine unless it freezes ,it’s a different world up here than Derby .

I left my truck on airfield instead of wetton thank god! They’re snowed under. Ive ran Perth this afternoon to avoid the weather

You can bet somebody else will have an incident and block the road before you get into trouble with your eight-wheeler. Don’t forget to take some hot soup and other munchies; it could be a long day.

ChrisArbon:
You can bet somebody else will have an incident and block the road before you get into trouble with your eight-wheeler. Don’t forget to take some hot soup and other munchies; it could be a long day.

Best advice on here. Doesn’t matter how used to winter driving you are you’re surrounded by inexperienced or overconfident 4 wheelers just waiting to have their accident and ruin your day.

Dont take all this advice of use man gears, no exhaust brake, mashing on the throttle when you start to slide etc too seriously, most of it is theory and not practical experience talking. Most drivers are more in tune with the truck than they think they are, learnt skill and good sense gets most through.

Go a bit slower than usual, leave a good gap ( so the BMW driving rep oversteering like a Finnish rally champ has somewhere to go) and try hard to drive “relaxed” is what I’ve learnt in 8 Canadian winters.

There’s no secret, no one piece of advice, to help you develop confidence, only doing it for yourself. And do as the above poster suggests, take extra food and drink, if you don’t need it you may meet someone less prepared who does!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Ergot2005:
HI all.

Location derby bad snow

Right Ergot.

I get you’ve not had much experience bon the ice.

You ask “would you be driving in snow”?

Well, …yes. if safe to do so!

As I said, Tesco and other major retailers don’t stop making deliveries because of a bit of snow. My reply said drive to the conditions.

You make reference to being a little nervous when delivering to some sites; well some tipper drivers make me more than a little nervous when they sir six inches from my back end on any day, whatever the weather!

And as one of our experienced professionals has said, keep a safe distance.

Driving in any conditions can be daunting, ice and snow being one of the worst, second comes fog i guess…but keep your speed down, diff locks if it looks bad, if it looks very bad, park up…just tell the boss your waiting for a gritter as the police asked you to :wink: If in an artic, just make sure the night heater is working ok, lots of food, a cooker or microwave, and the jobs a good un, oh dont forget plenty of water too for the tea/coffee…ideal if you have a tv/dvd…if you happen to run into any problems…park up, and enjoy the rest of the day. :smiley: