driving in fog

just got back in from my drive that started at 6am and i cannot believe drivers whom remain to drive at the full 56 or more with an artic in thick fog and the matrix saying slow down fog

I never went over 50mph today and it has taken me an extra 2 hours to do my shift. At times over the moors and on the m1 you could hardly see more than 2 cars lengths

It frightens me to think of another accident waiting to happen like the m6 crash earlier this year…If i remember rightly last years fog brought tragedy to families. Professional suicide more like

In the words of hill street blues lets be carefull out there

And do not ““for get”” OPEN THAT window, and turn
the sound system down , so you can hear better,
plus if it is that bad use the Fog lights,

unfortuantley brit fog lights dont stop accidents human error causes grief and suffering. Today or tomorrow somebody wont be going home for christmas due to speed…

■■■■■■00:
unfortuantley brit fog lights dont stop accidents human error causes grief and suffering. Today or tomorrow somebody wont be going home for christmas due to speed

I know I’m probably being pedantic but -

due to innapropriate speed for the conditions

There is usually one that will come along and say that they were within the legal limit

rog …your right

ROG:

■■■■■■00:
unfortuantley brit fog lights dont stop accidents human error causes grief and suffering. Today or tomorrow somebody wont be going home for christmas due to speed

There is usually one that will come along and say that they were within the legal limit

Nail hit firmly on the head. Drivers continue to amaze me with their stupidity when driving in such conditions. No matter how many times on the news in the newspapers and on traffic reports these major catastrophic pile ups occur, drivers seem to let the information fly over their heads and forget the death and destruction, the minute, hour or day after.

motorways when it is absolutly hammering down with rain, the spray is worse than fog and they drive like its a dry motorway with their lights off. Complete nutters

ROG:

■■■■■■00:

dont forget though rog,that even though speed limits are there for a reason,that we should only drive at a speed which road/weather conditions dictate at the time.its only a matter of time before we end up with another m42 incident. :frowning:

bubsy06:
motorways when it is absolutly hammering down with rain, the spray is worse than fog and they drive like its a dry motorway with their lights off. Complete nutters

Yep Busby ( thats the third time I have edited the post) and they even drive around in the Fog with no lights on, and dare I say it------ with their fog lights on when it’s not foggy. I noticed today loads of drivers with rear fogs on when the visibility was fine, Do they just forget? do they know when to put them on? Or do they need their eyes testing.

■■■■■■00:
just got back in from my drive that started at 6am and i cannot believe drivers whom remain to drive at the full 56 or more with an artic in thick fog and the matrix saying slow down fog

I never went over 50mph today and it has taken me an extra 2 hours to do my shift. At times over the moors and on the m1 you could hardly see more than 2 cars lengths

It frightens me to think of another accident waiting to happen like the m6 crash earlier this year…If i remember rightly last years fog brought tragedy to families. Professional suicide more like

In the words of hill street blues lets be carefull out there

Ultimateley they’ve all taken a driving test. Just leave 'em to it. There are very well known ways not to get killed on a motorway. even in fog. However that requires consideration and thought, not enough want to extend their behaviour to that level of personal responsability. Personally i wouldnt worry about everyone else.

bubsy06:

I generally find the complete opposite in heavy rain. I find cars slow down because they can’t see through the spray, i on the other hand being higher up can see fine through the spray, and get slowed down by motorists who cannot. You can’t please everyone hey?

chippy:

bubsy06:

Yep Busby ( thats the third time I have edited the post) and they even drive around in the Fog with no lights on, and dare I say it------ with their fog lights on when it’s not foggy. I noticed today loads of drivers with rear fogs on when the visibility was fine, Do they just forget? do they know when to put them on? Or do they need their eyes testing.

Fault of the DfT/DSA with the Highway Code.

The HC states a distance of 100 metres for fog lights but the dopes that wrote it forgot to ask how many people can judge that distance.

They could have put in things like - can you easily see the normal rear lights of the vehicle in front? - or - are you the last one in the queue? - or any number of easily recognisable senarios in which to judge it better.

A simple occasional beep from the dash might be an idea when the fog lights are on - not only would it tell the driver that they are stil activated but may also remind them to stay more alert due to the conditions.

Friday night / Sat morning people driving with Fogs on great but I could see a good 500yrd infront. Thought they were to be used when viz was at approx 100yrds mind they must think that rear fogs will protect them at 60 or 70mph from anything infront of them found the best way to dim the fogs :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Roll on summer

ROG:

chippy:

bubsy06:

Fault of the DfT/DSA with the Highway Code.

The HC states a distance of 100 metres for fog lights but the dopes that wrote it forgot to ask how many people can judge that distance.

They could have put in things like - can you easily see the normal rear lights of the vehicle in front? - or - are you the last one in the queue? - or any number of easily recognisable senarios in which to judge it better.

A simple occasional beep from the dash might be an idea when the fog lights are on - not only would it tell the driver that they are stil activated but may also remind them to stay more alert due to the conditions.

Quite right Rog about the HC but surely a driver should know when the fog lights are appropiate. As for the beeper, it seems more responsibility being given to the car and not the human may or may not be the way forward.

I can see the day though that the responsibility and descision making in driving will be taken from human control :bulb:

surely with todays technology,they can design vehicles,where when you take key out of the ignition it automatically cancels the fog lights if left on by mistake,like most car rear window demisters??.

buck73:
surely with todays technology,they can design vehicles,where when you take key out of the ignition it automatically cancels the fog lights if left on by mistake,like most car rear window demisters??.

Rover 25 2001 mine does
Ok Ok stop laughing yes its a rover, gets me to and from work and all the running round I do… Oh yeah its the one that can run on cooking oil but the used type but as its winter its a no no :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

buck73:

I am sure they can, but they exspect drivers to be able to do some simple tasks for themselves, like when to turn their fog lights on and off.

However it seems drivers are not capable of such complex big thinking tasks. :wink:

bubsy06:

When its “hammering down with rain” it actually surpresses the spray, the spray seems much worse when its not actually raining ? :confused: . . . . well i think i know what i mean !! :laughing:

buck73:

ROG:

■■■■■■00:

dont forget though rog,that even though speed limits are there for a reason,that we should only drive at a speed which road/weather conditions dictate at the time.its only a matter of time before we end up with another m42 incident. :frowning:

That is exactly what is meant by the phrase highlighted in blue

i know