Driving breaks

We have a new transport person and he insist on giving us our daily work with no breaks added in.So if we are to work an 10.5hr day we then have to manage our own breaks into this making it an11.25hr day.
What I’m trying to say is should breaks be added to your daily duty so that you can manage them properly.

John-I love you. Even though you have made me spill my tea laughing!

I suppose you expect him to equip you with a sat-nav too.

What`s a transport person?

Schedules are supposed to be doable within legal requirements. Simples.

Have a break when you need/want to that meets all requirements of the various laws you have to adhere too. Simples

Seems to be saying he wants to told when to take his breaks?

:open_mouth:

That’s similar to the we our mob works. We get given our jobs in the morning and its up to us when we take our breaks. I prefer to be able to take my break when I choose rather than be told when to take them anyway.

One of the signs of needing a break is known as ’ The turtles head '.

It used to be tortoise in my day…

He has just been promoted to depot manager he has never been in transport and he wants everybody to work no longer than a10.25 hr day. So we get a daily schedule of work to do starting at 04.00 and finishing at 14.15 that is continuos working with no breaks added.
What I’m asking is should the 45 min break be included in that daily schedule I know I have to manage my own breaks I just didn’t word my question properly I think.

Welcome to the forum, John. Buckle up - it`s gonna get quite bumpy. :grimacing:

I think he means, he wants his planner to plan breaks into the shift, not plan for him when to take them.
Do you or they have a problem with you doing 11 and a quarter hours on a 10 and a half hour planned day?

Are you on salary or hours?

I smell this question is pay related at its heart…

That’s correct Weeto at the present time my planned 10.25 hr day is turning into a 12 to 15 hour day due to bad planning.

Nothing to do with pay as paid very well and am salary based on a 48 hr working week.

Is there not something that makes it illegal for your boss to give you a schedule that’s impossible to achieve without you having to break the law? From what you say, your boss has planned your day from 4am till 14.30 with continuous work. You might not do anymore than 4.5 hours driving in this time, but you do need a break before 10am to satisfy the WTD. So I would say what your boss is asking you to do might be illegal, but I could be wrong again.[emoji1]

johnthemilk:
Nothing to do with pay as paid very well and am salary based on a 48 hr working week.

Do they need the truck back for another driver when you have finished your shift then? and do you get extra for working over 48 hours?

Wisemans at Trafford park John?

So if it’s not pay related, and it’s not that you are incapable of planning your own breaks, what is the problem??

If you have been planned for a 10.5 hour day and it takes 12 why should you worry? They will soon work it out. Just keep yourself legal and life will be rosy.

Unless you are worried about working more than your salaried average, which would then make it a paid related question :stuck_out_tongue:

I have an 8hr work day but I’m at work for 8.5. 30mins (unpaid) is my lunch break (not in transport at the minute) . I’m presuming you are hinting at breaks being paid and included in your overall duty time., not being unpaid and ultimately extra time physically at work.