Driving as a second job.

Quick question.

If you work in an office Monday - Friday, is it OK to drive an HGV on either a Saturday or Sunday?

Gazz_:
Quick question.

If you work in an office Monday - Friday, is it OK to drive an HGV on either a Saturday or Sunday?

Quick answer.

Sometimes.

Slightly longer answer:
You need to obey WTD (working time directive) and also drivers hours rules.
Depending on the work itself, and any exemptions that may apply, you will be subject to UK Domestic rules or more likely EU drivers rules.
EU rules say you must have 45 hrs weekly rest (from all work, including office work). But this can be reduced if it is “repaid” later.

If you have a particular set of hours in mind tell us what they are, and we`ll see if they look OK or not.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

Franglais:
Slightly longer answer:
You need to obey WTD (working time directive) and also drivers hours rules.
Depending on the work itself, and any exemptions that may apply, you will be subject to UK Domestic rules or more likely EU drivers rules.
EU rules say you must have 45 hrs weekly rest (from all work, including office work). But this can be reduced if it is “repaid” later.

If you have a particular set of hours in mind tell us what they are, and we`ll see if they look OK or not.

gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

Do not bother with WTD because the office job is normal WTD and the driving job is the drivers WTD - the two do not get added together

All you need to bother with is the EU regs rest rules which generally means you can drive for one day every other weekend

Which is fine if nothing happens and Monday to Friday job don’t talk to Saturday Sunday job. You get involved in a major incident plod would hang you out to dry. You’d be looking at prison. Remember Selby train crash?
In answer to the first question, have a 45 rest and then a 24 hour rest and you’ll be fine.
Seriously mate, it’s not worth the risk.

sent using smoke signals

To simplify it, if you do one day every other weekend you’re good to go.

mick.mh2racing:
Which is fine if nothing happens and Monday to Friday job don’t talk to Saturday Sunday job. You get involved in a major incident plod would hang you out to dry.

Not following you here so what are you referring to :question:

ROG:

mick.mh2racing:
Which is fine if nothing happens and Monday to Friday job don’t talk to Saturday Sunday job. You get involved in a major incident plod would hang you out to dry.

At a guess, he’s alluding to the situation where you’ve been working say, 12 hour shifts Mon-Fri in the “day job” (with a 1/2 hour lunch break each day), then go and do an 11-15 hour shift on Saturday and get yourself involved in a big pile-up on the M6 (other Motorways are of course available). By the letter of the law, that’s OK, but (as with the Selby train crash) might it render you liable to prosecution for Dangerous Driving…?

Roymondo:
At a guess, he’s alluding to the situation where you’ve been working say, 12 hour shifts Mon-Fri in the “day job” (with a 1/2 hour lunch break each day), then go and do an 11-15 hour shift on Saturday and get yourself involved in a big pile-up on the M6 (other Motorways are of course available). By the letter of the law, that’s OK, but (as with the Selby train crash) might it render you liable to prosecution for Dangerous Driving…?

Lorry drivers do those sorts of hours on a regular basis so I do not see the point you are getting at :question: :question:

Roymondo:

Lorry drivers do those sorts of hours on a regular basis so I do not see the point you are getting at :question: :question:

ROG:

Roymondo:

They do…? What about the WTD limit of 60 hours working time for mobile workers?

Roymondo:

ROG:

Roymondo:

They do…? What about the WTD limit of 60 hours working time for mobile workers?

Its a joke because no authority enforces it
Also the 60 hours does not include break or poa time so a driver can be at work for well over 80 hours a week legally

There are lots of police and fire men who drive on their days off. If nothing newsworthy happens whose going to stop them. The Police■■?

Anyone remember the Selby train crash? Bloke in a land rover was working round the clock, then on the Internet for the rest of his life?
Fell asleep at the wheel and derailed two trains, one a 1000 tonne coal train and the other a high speed train. People died.
The police dissected his life and he went to prison.
If you worked one job through the week, and a separate job at weekends, it’s unlikely the two employers would cotton on.
But, you fall asleep at the wheel, get involved in a major accident you can expect plod to look into your life with a fine tooth comb.
Yeah, you might get away with it for years or never get caught. I wouldn’t risk it. Forget the fact that WTD has few checks and even fewer prosecutions, ■■■■ goes wrong and you’re doing porridge.

sent using smoke signals

Gazz_:

It depends on what time you finish your office job on Friday and start again on Monday but generally people who work Monday to Friday can legally drive HGVs one shift every second week.

Make sure you have at-least 9 hours rest (11 or more would be better) before doing a HGV job and have a rest period of at-least 24 consecutive hours at some point in the weekend, stay within the law and make sure you get enough rest and you’ll be fine to do a shift every second weekend.

I remember years ago a drivers wife commenting that her husband could drive his truck all day and then pack the car and drive down to Cornwall etc overnight for their holiday, she thought that there should be some legislation in place to prevent such things as he was bound to be weary?

In the seventies I worked in a garage with a lad who, after doing an eight hour shift greasing/oil changing trucks, would then do an overnight trunk in a Bedford TK from Wokingham to Stockport three nights a week. He looked exhausted most of the time, but in reality doing nothing illegal back then I guess? :confused:

Pete.

We’ve all come across tales like that and if we’re all honest there might be the same sort of skeletons in our own closet. I knew a lad similar take who worked 8 to 5 as a welder and then drove a tipper doing resurfacing works. Job and knock so he’d maybe be done by 0200. Back into work at 0800. If caught he’d have been balls deep in trouble.

sent using smoke signals

ROG:

mick.mh2racing:

My point was that if you ended up having a nasty bump which perhaps resulted in fatalities, the police on investigating your work life would discover that you’re working Monday to Friday in one job and Saturday and Sunday in another.
Can’t see that ending well really for the op.

sent using smoke signals

mick.mh2racing:

ROG:

mick.mh2racing:

My point was that if you ended up having a nasty bump which perhaps resulted in fatalities, the police on investigating your work life would discover that you’re working Monday to Friday in one job and Saturday and Sunday in another.

sent using smoke signals

Maybe thats why he’s asking the question…‘‘is it ok’’?..now he he knows the rules.

mick.mh2racing:

ROG:

mick.mh2racing:

sent using smoke signals

I thought you were saying that doing an office job mon to fri and doing one day driving every other weekend was unsafe … I must have got the wrong impression