#DriverShortage; Let’s Do Something

So as you know I’ve been ranting rather a lot on this subject but realised drivers ranting at drivers is ultimately pointless. So I’m going to have a go improving this situation and help is very welcome. I know the chances of anything actually changing is slim. I know it’s been like this for decades. But we will never have a better opportunity than this so I’ve at least got to try. Have a great evening all.

#DriverShortage! STAND UP! TAKE ACTION! PLEASE HELP!
lorry-driver.com/2021/07/dri … e.html?m=1

Just out of interest, are you paying DVV Media International to use their platform to shill and promote your own website and deprive them of traffic?

Site rules:
Rule 6 Links to Other Websites.

Posting a link for no reason other than to attract members to the site concerned is Spamming in our view, so is not allowed.

:bulb:

It seems so obvious. Half the reason wages were kept so low in driving is because more than half of your working day is spent sitting around waiting to be tipped. The haulier is getting little in return from trucks being ■■■■■■■ in this way. Try asking a taxi to sit outside of your house for 4 hours whilst you get ready and see if it is still there after 10 mins.

The disappointing thing is this place that is tied in with a fairly well known and distributed publication and has access to the opinions of all members on here, most of whom are drivers, but not once has there been anything that I’ve seen. Or maybe I missed it?

I’m fed up of reading from people who aren’t drivers why there is a lack of drivers and moreover the fact that the correct questions aren’t being asked. That article in the grocer the other day cheering the extension of hours, salivating at the prospect of temporary visas, why weren’t they asked about the 70k or so already holding a licence but aren’t in the industry?

Of course we know why…

Efficiency is another thing. I’ve done 12.5hrs today. One full load delivery and one full load collection. Of those 12.5hrs, six of them were sat waiting at either point. The truck is ■■■■■■■, the driver is ■■■■■■■ and nothing goes anywhere. And I’m not buying that as a reason for low wages, you can bet the margin covers it already.

toonsy:
Efficiency is another thing. I’ve done 12.5hrs today. One full load delivery and one full load collection. Of those 12.5hrs, six of them were sat waiting at either point. The truck is ■■■■■■■, the driver is ■■■■■■■ and nothing goes anywhere. And I’m not buying that as a reason for low wages, you can bet the margin covers it already.

The margins would be much higher too if the tip was much quicker, 2 loads rather than just the one through been sat around

I rather watch the business burn until we get suitable wages, we have been conned for years so please guys don’t do overtime until we get tube driver wages xd

Oops wrong thread :blush: cheers Ray

Unfortunately Luke, the majority of HGV drivers are sans balls and spine.

Having thought about the situation over the past couple of weeks I think the industry will change for the better for us, but it will be driven by the haulage companies quite literally not being able to afford the increase in wages.

The days of being held to ransom by the supermarkets etc are coming to an end.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

DCPCFML:
Just out of interest, are you paying DVV Media International to use their platform to shill and promote your own website and deprive them of traffic?

Site rules:
Rule 6 Links to Other Websites.

Posting a link for no reason other than to attract members to the site concerned is Spamming in our view, so is not allowed.

:bulb:

Well technically I work for them so I think they’re ok.

DCPCFML:
promote your own website and deprive them of traffic?

You don’t really get the Internet do you? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yorkshire Tramper:

toonsy:

The margins would be much higher too if the tip was much quicker, 2 loads rather than just the one through been sat around

I fear not.
Wouldn`t all the cut rate hauliers just factor in quicker turnaround times, and undercut each other again?
Margin cutting has been the name of the game for ages.

Franglais:

Yorkshire Tramper:
[quote="toonsy
I fear not.
Wouldn`t all the cut rate hauliers just factor in quicker turnaround times, and undercut each other again?
Margin cutting has been the name of the game for ages.

That is a fair point, sadly true

Yorkshire Tramper:
It seems so obvious. Half the reason wages were kept so low in driving is because more than half of your working day is spent sitting around waiting to be tipped. The haulier is getting little in return from trucks being ■■■■■■■ in this way. Try asking a taxi to sit outside of your house for 4 hours whilst you get ready and see if it is still there after 10 mins.

Probably would be, but would have about £65 on the meter for waiting time plus the fare, taxi waiting time where I live and work is currently 10p per 22 seconds.

I’ve always wondered why haulage firms tolerate RDCs who tie up lorries and drivers for hours. Surely it is as simple as sticking a clause detailing financial penalties in the contract. But they don’t. Another example of the race to the bottom.

I think I heard that they do this in the States.

granddaddylow:
I’ve always wondered why haulage firms tolerate RDCs who tie up lorries and drivers for hours. Surely it is as simple as sticking a clause detailing financial penalties in the contract. But they don’t. Another example of the race to the bottom.

I think I heard that they do this in the States.

Dont they? Cant speak for all companies, but we had agreed tipping times with those we pulled for. Any excess times meant a pre-agreed demurrage charge.
In our case we were pulling for different suppliers.
Firstly we had to call the supplier, as it was them paying the bill. It was up to them to deal with their customer (the unloader) as they saw fit. Sometimes they would just say nowt, and swallow the charge, as they didnt want to upset a big customer. Some suppliers are reliant on supermarkets etc to shift their goods and dont want to upset them. Some suppliers have desirable goods that shops need and so hold more power. A small supplier in a competitive field won`t want to upset the boat. A supplier of top brand goods has a bit more clout.

Any haulier not getting tipping time, and penalty clauses written into contracts is asking for trouble.

Is anyone else noticing a sudden and sharp improvement in tip times this past week?

Last month - 3-4 hour turnarounds… This week (for me at least) turnarounds of less than 30minutes, getting kicked off bays before getting chance to book a full break and all… :open_mouth:

Same depots, same times… (Midlands)

What gives?

WHY are guys on post worrying about waiting time? Demurage.
It’s a industry standard
Post title driver shortage let’s do something.
Well that bloody worked
Halfwits

Winseer:
Is anyone else noticing a sudden and sharp improvement in tip times this past week?

Last month - 3-4 hour turnarounds… This week (for me at least) turnarounds of less than 30minutes, getting kicked off bays before getting chance to book a full break and all… :open_mouth:

Same depots, same times… (Midlands)

What gives?

5.5 hours at sainsbury Stoke,yesterday…although that’s nothing out of the ordinary.

commonrail:
5.5 hours at sainsbury Stoke,yesterday…although that’s nothing out of the ordinary.

That is crazy,

Certainly is.
I could have driven to Glasgow,in the equivalent time.