Drivers Workwear

Just thought I would mention .
Was sat in the services and could not help noticing some of the workwear drivers have to wear.
I know some companies insist of the uniform but some drivers are lit up like Christmas trees.add a pair of still toe cap boots god looks so uncomfortable.
Also there’s the 6 inches to long trousers look.
I actually see a few drivers with hoods up like a chavy car thief . ( perhaps that’s me getting old )
Rather lucky myself no uniform requirement for us.
Just saying

A percentage of drivers are scruffy dirty tramps, It’s obviously down to companies to enforce, supply uniforms. Were supplied full kit, but the Trousers are bloody awful.
But the jogging bottom, hoody brigade just look like joy-riders, or tipper drivers. Us well dressed fridge drivers pride ourselves on looking smart and dapper.

Few workers of today would dress like a 50’s bin man

osark:
Few workers of today would dress like a 50’s bin man

But many will smell like one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Where I work no uniform wear what you want it’s great.usually jeans and a top of some.kind. shorts t shirts in summer.
Altough if honest usually old work.wear logoed from places I’ve worked in the past.

Plus can wear comfy boots.
Not bog standard ones some.workplaces provide.

Nearly all business have certain dress codes. No matter what the business is.

There are the ridiculous things where truck drivers wear shirts which is totally impractical for the job or jeans that are likely to get filthy.

Yes a lot of companies issue a uniform for driving trucks because they want the workforce to look smart and corporate for the job. I’m not a massive fan out of our new uniform if I’m honest but it came from Germany that they want all drivers to look smart and the same as we represent the company and the client when dealing with delivery points.

Tbh I don’t get the hang up people have wearing a provided uniform as it costs you nothing and you don’t have to wreck your own clothes you’d have to pay for to do your job.

Most of our new work wear is plenty comfy enough for the job but maybe having worked in other jobs where a certain dress code is required I’m more used to wearing some sort of uniform or wearing my own clothes but within certain guidelines of what is acceptable or not.

As for people who turn up in trackies etc they just look like slobs or chavs IMHO, we have odd agency staff who turn up like that.

Then on the opposite fence you have the Irish boys that turn up in nice jeans dealer boots and check shirts looking like they are going on a night out down the town.

Each to their own I guess but the usual it’s their train set you have to play by their rules.

Drivers have probably had it far too easy for far too long to do what they like when they like, and that includes taking the ■■■■ for runs making them last 13 or 15 hours, and yes we did start to clamp down on the agency drivers that did so and several were got rid off who had been with us a long time as they were costing so much money.

And I’m not talking about being rushed around to the minute, I’m talking about those parking up for hours and sleeping to get the hours in.

You are paid to do a job, same as any other job, there isn’t a job in the world where you can go in and say I’ll work 15 hours and maybe only do 7 or 8 hours work usually and can toss it off for the rest of the time and expect to get paid for it.

It comes down to what you perceive I guess but for me hanging a job out for no good reason is tantamount to fraud, obtaining money you haven’t earned.

We have had drivers night out right outside the building just to get their night out money, with managers driving and other drivers having to go past them during the day or night. That is just frankly a crazy thing to do yet drivers do it, they know that the company can see if they would have made it back to base with trackers and tacho records yet still think they can pull the wool over others eyes or just get away with anything they like.

Most things like trackers have been brought in because of those practises and for insurance that used to go on so much in a pretty much unregulated industry, and yet people complain they are unfairly treated, and that’s because as a business you have to protect your business against unscrupulous employees.

simcor…DHL? and the new red/yellow/black gear?

carryfast-yeti:

Was it that obvious.
Although I’m still waiting for a pair of steel capped clown shoes and the face paint [emoji23]

Although I use my old blue uniform for shunting for obvious reasons.

simcor:

carryfast-yeti:

Was it that obvious.
Although I’m still waiting for a pair of steel capped clown shoes and the face paint [emoji23]

:laughing: i’m DHL too,but hoping to avoid the clown suit :blush:

carryfast-yeti:

simcor:

carryfast-yeti:

Was it that obvious.

[emoji38] i’m DHL too,but hoping to avoid the clown suit :blush:

Good luck with that but every depot is getting it unless the contract states a specific uniform the client has requested for example their corporate colours.

So I hope you have such a contract otherwise get the clown shoes and face paint ready [emoji1782][emoji23]

I do a bit for DHL since they took over UK Mail
The uniform they have looks rediculous,
As i am a contractor i dont get to wear it,
some of them still wear their old UKM stuff which is plain black

I guess I was lucky but I have been retired for a few years now …

I bought my own workwear and PPE from a local dealer and the firm I worked for refunded the full cost on production of a receipt, that included footwear when needed. I still have the boots and use them for gardening!
The only thing I did not get from the local shop was my hard-hat but I already had that provided by one of the companies that I delivered to where hard-hats were compulsory and they provided that at the security gate, did not ask for it back when I left the site :smiley:

We don’t have a uniform as such. We get given polo shirts/jumpers but the rest is up to you and must be “practical” for the workplace. I opt for cargo trousers/shorts. We do get reimbursed.

Its not a fashion show by any means, however there are some drivers you see where there is just zero pride in actually looking like a civilised human being.

I’ve never understood why drivers that are supplied with uniform refuse to wear it, personally I’d much rather ruin the company supplied kit (and then get it replaced) than my own.[emoji2369]

We are lucky that ours ain’t too bad [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have weird feet, so I buy my own boots. I get uniform, but if the kit’s Portwest I buy ORN. Much more comfortable and no zips on the pockets to damage stuff. The ORN stuff is also cut a size larger and uses better fabric.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

simcor:

There are the ridiculous things where truck drivers wear shirts which is totally impractical
Drivers have probably had it far too easy for far too long to do what they like when they like, and that includes taking the ■■■■ for runs making them last 13 or 15 hours, and yes we did start to clamp down on the agency drivers that did so and several were got rid off who had been with us a long time as they were costing so much money.

And I’m not talking about being rushed around to the minute, I’m talking about those parking up for hours and sleeping to get the hours in.

You are paid to do a job, same as any other job, there isn’t a job in the world where you can go in and say I’ll work 15 hours and maybe only do 7 or 8 hours work usually and can toss it off for the rest of the time and expect to get paid for it.

It comes down to what you perceive I guess but for me hanging a job out for no good reason is tantamount to fraud, obtaining money you haven’t earned.

We have had drivers night out right outside the building just to get their night out money, with managers driving and other drivers having to go past them during the day or night. That is just frankly a crazy thing to do yet drivers do it, they know that the company can see if they would have made it back to base with trackers and tacho records yet still think they can pull the wool over others eyes or just get away with anything they like.

Most things like trackers have been brought in because of those practises and for insurance that used to go on so much in a pretty much unregulated industry, and yet people complain they are unfairly treated, and that’s because as a business you have to protect your business against unscrupulous employees.

WTF Has this drivel got to do with workwear get a life and worry about yourself not what everybody else is doing

robthedog:

simcor:

There are the ridiculous things where truck drivers wear shirts which is totally impractical

WTF Has this drivel got to do with workwear get a life and worry about yourself not what everybody else is doing

Called an opinion… and the very point of fora such as this.
Ironically whilst offering your rather trite advice, you aren’t heeding it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Monkey241:

robthedog:

simcor:

Called an opinion… and the very point of fora such as this.
Ironically whilst offering your rather trite advice, you aren’t heeding it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yeah ok monkey boy whatever you say

Don’t forget you can claim tax relief for cleaning your uniform.

The ones that criticise were probably rockin’ a shell suit in the 80s. Go figure.