Drivers working away living in there cars

Just out of interest,how many off you know of drivers who work away from home but sleep in there cars instead of paying accommodation,was shocked to see a guy who regularly spends 4 nights in his car a week he sleeps on an industrial estate in purfleet,and does agency work then goes home at weekends,felt bad for the guy he’s just trying to earn a decent wage for his family or he’s just a tight arse :smiley:

I’ve spent one night in the yard in my truck. Does that count?

I know a driver who has a camper van and stays in the yard Monday-Thursday and goes home for the weekend

kr79:
I know a driver who has a camper van and stays in the yard Monday-Thursday and goes home for the weekend

makes sense and saves a fortune with an extra cpl hours a night off duty with no travelling…i spent 6 months in a mazda bongo kipping in kent running in and out of france every day then handing it over to a dude trunking to the ferry and back to me again…i basically got a free bongo at the end of it with what i saved.dump shave and shampoo in the reststops in france,and kip in the van.better than cabbing it.lots of building trade guys would do the same working away from home,just doss in the van instead of paying digs.

I done it for 6 months, slept in my vauxhall omega, showered in a leisure centre, and found a great cafe where the woman knew my situation and served me a great dinner for £5.50 and made me sandwiches for the next day for an extra £2.50, I was living on about £75 a week!

A choice I made at the time, and to be honest there are people worse of when you think of it

dieseldog999:
i spent 6 months in a mazda bongo

I used to work with a driver who spent his weekends in a Mazda Bongo, he showed me around it one day, I was really impressed, I could quite happily have lived in it myself. ISTR that he told me it was a Japanese grey import, they’ve never been sold in the UK by Mazda.

Harry Monk:

dieseldog999:

I used to work with a driver who spent his weekends in a Mazda Bongo, he showed me around it one day, I was really impressed, I could quite happily have lived in it myself. ISTR that he told me it was a Japanese grey import, they’ve never been sold in the UK by Mazda.

great wee things allround…britain only gets the more basic spec crap nobody else wants,hence the imports come full specced.bung in a small 30 quid cooker and a dogs bowl for a sink,change the v5 to motor caravan,and cheapo insurance all round…there like the tardis inside.its a ford ranger pickup with a bongo body instea of a pickup body,the ranger being a mazda pickup badged as a ford…a ford freda is a mazda bongo with a ford badge.for my sins i have a phd in mazda bongos.ive sld about 40 o them in the last 6 years over here.(dont tell the inland revenue though,and itl be our wee secret)… :smiley:

If i know I am going to have a 9hr rest - I take the camper to work :smiling_imp: - saves the travel to and from work etc.

Same with DCPC days - camper goes to work etc.

leo.saphira:
If i know I am going to have a 9hr rest - I take the camper to work :smiling_imp: - saves the travel to and from work etc.

even though you live ten mins away from the yard

villa:

leo.saphira:

even though you live ten mins away from the yard

yard is 25miles away - unless I have a rocket on the car :smiley:

There was a guy on a heavy haul program on TV who slept in his kitted up mpv type motor

There was a guy on crane hire programme slept in his people carrier.

There’s a bloke who lives in a blue Vauxhall Vectra in a lay by on the A350 between the M4 and Chippenham he has a mattress in there somehow, not sure he’s a driver though but why not at least get a transit van or similar at he’ll have more room.

One of ours stores his caravan in the yard. Spends a couple of nights a week in it to save money

dieseldog999:

Harry Monk:

dieseldog999:

great wee things allround…britain only gets the more basic spec crap nobody else wants,hence the imports come full specced.bung in a small 30 quid cooker and a dogs bowl for a sink,change the v5 to motor caravan,and cheapo insurance all round…there like the tardis inside.its a ford ranger pickup with a bongo body instea of a pickup body,the ranger being a mazda pickup badged as a ford…a ford freda is a mazda bongo with a ford badge.for my sins i have a phd in mazda bongos.ive sld about 40 o them in the last 6 years over here.(dont tell the inland revenue though,and itl be our wee secret)… :smiley:

My father in law has had a couple of these,had a look round one and thought it was brilliant ideal for them two to get away for the weekends.Unfortunately his last one got nicked off the drive, I believe they have a location to discretely hide a spare key, obviously not as discrete as he thought.

Never known any driver sleeping in a car like that. Camper vans, caravans and the old unit kept for spares at the back of the yard yes.

Of course, there will probably have been some, but they kept it quiet.

I’ve done plenty in the back of a van with a collapsible camp bed. It does save money.

Sad state of affairs for the industry isn’t it really that shift drivers are resorting to dossing in their cars because they feel that to earn decent money, you have to work such long hours it’s not worth going home :frowning:

Sleeping in a van,is fine as you can get a good kip, as long as you have something to lay on, like mattress or air /camp bed But in a car, uncomfortable, lack of privacy ,likely hood of being disturbed by some nosey sod or doggers, :open_mouth: And in the summer months you will be have daylight very early in a morning and darkness later at nights, I have had to sleep in my car in the middle of winter, but that wasn’t because wanted to i was homeless at the time

tried sleeping in the back of a Vauxhall cavalier once never again!!

unless you are 5ft tall you aint getting a good nights sleep.