Drivers working away living in there cars

rob22888:
Sad state of affairs for the industry isn’t it really that shift drivers are resorting to dossing in their cars because they feel that to earn decent money, you have to work such long hours it’s not worth going home :frowning:

+1 very sad state of affairs, i cant think of any other occupation where this would even be considered.

maga:

rob22888:
Sad state of affairs for the industry isn’t it really that shift drivers are resorting to dossing in their cars because they feel that to earn decent money, you have to work such long hours it’s not worth going home :frowning:

+1 very sad state of affairs, i cant think of any other occupation where this would even be considered.

lots of people who work in the building trade are doing it, all over the country, though most of them really are too far from home to travel but cheap digs cost £100 to 150 a week

maga:

rob22888:

Yes, has to be said very sad state of affairs but seems to be very common,"needs must and all that"it seems no diffrent to the programme on tv I watched about Romainians living in cars and working over here this guy I may add was a brit,I suppose all our needs are the same,no diffrent I suppose to sleeping in a lorry all week in my case a poxy FM :cry: with not much more room than my zafira :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

maga:

rob22888:

There’s many many many people of a wide variety of occupations doing this. You just dont hear about it.

I’m coming off the road next month but I’ve got to wait a month for my company car. I’ve got an 80 mile round trip so I’m tossing up whether to buy a camp bed and rough it in the office, or bunk down in the back of my berlingo

rob22888:

this is because drivers a THINK their employer is doing THEM a favour by paying THEM £600 in the bank :imp:

As Luke says there are plenty of other industry’s where this takes place, but maybe it has become more visible with more people having to do it for financial reasons. I’ve always thought that as truck driver’s we are one step in front of everyone else with having somewhere to get our heads down, even in a day cab, I’ve spent many a night or short weekend sleeping in my cab in the yard/depot because it’s been to far or too much hassle to get home for a few hours.

Regards
Dave Penn;

switchlogic:

maga:

rob22888:

There’s many many many people of a wide variety of occupations doing this. You just dont hear about it.

I had no problem doing it for 6 months, when you work out £120 pw dig money then food on top, it adds up, then what you send home aswell it defeats the purpose of going away in the 1st place, it was a needs must for me as I got an offer of a job that payed over twice what I was getting in the job I left! Like I say it worked for me, and if anyone is reading this topic and thinking of or needed to do it, I would say go for it. I would recommend a vauxhall omega, comfy and cheap as chips to buy :wink:

Folk have slept in worse places than in their car…

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … t-20p.html

I wouldn’t call it luxury and impressive that people are living in cabs for 25 quid a night. It’s only one step up. A prison cell has a karzi and a sink.

i`ve got a0700 tutbury in the morning.
if i go home,i have to get up at 0445.if i stay at the saltbox,i have to get up at 0645.
no brainer really

I used to borrow a unit and sleep in the car park occasionally until it suited me to do an unofficial night out instead. I have not slept in a car but I would do if the situation was preferable to going home. My old car had enough room for me to lie flat out but I think my new one may not be that long even though they are both mid range estates and the windows aren’t tinted on this one