Drivers who flash

Has anybody else noticed this phenomenon?

When overtaking another truck (not that we do much overtaking on our firm as we rarely go over 48mph :sunglasses: ), having left plenty of room so as not to cut up the other driver, he or she will flash their headlights at you after you have indicated and started to move across to the left.

Why bother to do this? The idea (I always thought :confused: ) was that you flashed to tell the overtaking driver they are well clear and itā€™s safe to move back.

If you donā€™t do it - thatā€™s fine - Iā€™m not bothered. I know where the back of my trailer is!

But if youā€™re going to (and I always tend to) - then why not do it before it becomes irrelevant!!

Agreed, itā€™s crackers. I donā€™t bother flashing trucks in anymore; driverā€™s should be able to judge a safe distance without the need. In fact most of the time theyā€™ve already pulled back in before theyā€™d left a safe gap anyway. :unamused:

I only ever flash people in if they are crawling past, not when an Irish motor passes at 100mph!

HE orSHE is telling you that it issafe to come in and that no idiot has some how managed to slip in between the both of you thereby blocked the area you wish to use and this can &does happen!

Personnaly I flash drivers in to say Iā€™m ready for you to come in and am prepared to ease off and increase the breaking distance, thats if Iā€™ve not already eased off to allow them to pass.

I dont flash them in to say yea your 2 feet in front of my bumber, come on in.

IMHO drivers who know there length tend to come in too early, forcing the other truck to brake to increase the breaking distance.

Iā€™ve also had trucks pass me who indicate to come in but donā€™t untill flashed :question:
Perhaps they too dont want to pull in to the overtaken trucks breaking distance, or not everyone knows the length of there trailor

David5l:
IMHO drivers who know there length tend to come in too early

The Sun advertises a cure for that!

flying_fenman:
When overtaking another truck (not that we do much overtaking on our firm as we rarely go over 48mph :sunglasses: ), having left plenty of room so as not to cut up the other driver, he or she will flash their headlights at you after you have indicated and started to move across to the left.

Why bother to do this? The idea (I always thought :confused: ) was that you flashed to tell the overtaking driver they are well clear and itā€™s safe to move back.

Because what you might think is enough room obviously isnt, and at the point of there being enough room the driver has flashed you in, but its to late as you are moving across already. Its either that, or you have been out there to long, and the driver had no intention of flashing you in, but now thinks you are waiting for him to do it (if that makes sense) and just as you decide to go across he flashes, just a coincidence.
Personally i flash drivers in, and it doesnt bother me if i dont get flashed in as im quite comfortable with judging the length of the vehicle, but when i was a newbie it helped loads for someone to flash me in, or id be stuck out there for ages to paranoid to come in to early.
I cant see the problem with peoples attitudes that say i aint flashing them in etc, they should know the length of there truck, but at the end of the day it takes a blink of the eye just to give the main beam a tap, whats the problem!!!

Rob K:
Agreed, itā€™s crackers. I donā€™t bother flashing trucks in anymore; driverā€™s should be able to judge a safe distance without the need. In fact most of the time theyā€™ve already pulled back in before theyā€™d left a safe gap anyway. :unamused:

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Another nail in the comeraderie that was once one of the best things about the job.

Next itā€™ll be stopping helping flatbed drivers roll up sheets because itā€™s something theyā€™re getting paid to do eh?

ITS CALLED COURTESY. IT IS THE ONE THING THAT SEPARATES US FROM THE CAR DRIVING MUPPETS.

flying_fenman:
Has anybody else noticed this phenomenon?

But if youā€™re going to (and I always tend to) - then why not do it before it becomes irrelevant!!

This sounds a little like meā€¦

When Iā€™m trying to roll a ciggy or playing with the phone I often donā€™t notice that truck indicating but hesitating to pull in till itā€™s too late. I do manage a quick flash for what itā€™s worth but very surprised when they bother to thank me :unamused:

Truth is, most of the time I really canā€™t be bothered. I do flash those that crawl past but those that fly by as if Iā€™m standing stil, what the hellā€¦ And I donā€™t give a dam if Iā€™m flashed in or not.

Do like some of those recovery/maintenance trucks though, they give a great display of appreciation :laughing:

Conor:

Rob K:

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Another nail in the comeraderie that was once one of the best things about the job.

Next itā€™ll be stopping helping flatbed drivers roll up sheets because itā€™s something theyā€™re getting paid to do eh?

ITS CALLED COURTESY. IT IS THE ONE THING THAT SEPARATES US FROM THE CAR DRIVING MUPPETS.

:open_mouth: :laughing: Must be just me then. I prefer to ease off and let them get past quicker rather than have them crawl past at 0.0001mph where a flash in would be more useful. If they go past quicker then they donā€™t need a flash :slight_smile: . After all, when youā€™re climbing up Windy Hill with a full load on at 30mph you donā€™t flash those in that fly past on the limiter so why should it be any different anywhere else ? :smiley: Like I say though, most have pulled back in before leaving a safe gap anyway so I donā€™t get chance to, even if I wanted to. :astonished:

Robk you would like germany then as if you are not doing more than 10KMH when you over take and THE MEN IN THE GREEN CARS are there
when you slow down to let him in it might just be that youget done as well
due to your actions causeing DANGER TO THEOTHER ROAD USERS
NON-compliance to this law costs from 40Ć¢ā€šĀ¬ (25-30 pounds) per offence per person,

brit pete:
Robk you would like germany then as if you are not doing more than 10KMH when you over take and THE MEN IN THE GREEN CARS are there
NON-compliance to this law costs from 40Ć¢ā€šĀ¬ (25-30 pounds) per offence per person,

Excuse me Pete, but since when does not flashing a lorry in come under the heading ā€œDANGER TO OTHER ROAD USERSā€ ?

I eagerly await your explanation for this one.

:unamused:

David5l:
Personnaly I flash drivers in to say Iā€™m ready for you to come in and am prepared to ease off and increase the breaking distance, thats if Iā€™ve not already eased off to allow them to pass.

I dont flash them in to say yea your 2 feet in front of my bumber, come on in.

IMHO drivers who know there length tend to come in too early, forcing the other truck to brake to increase the breaking distance.

Iā€™ve also had trucks pass me who indicate to come in but donā€™t untill flashed :question:
Perhaps they too dont want to pull in to the overtaken trucks breaking distance, or not everyone knows the length of there trailor

ditto. im sure some of them indicate to show their intention but arent sure about how much distance they are leaving so they wait for permission. fair enough, i always flash trucks in. or out if they are joining the carriageway. i know it is technically illegal but i flash coppers in sometimes and they thank me for it too. strange when you think about it. they do show road sense now and again when they are travelling at the same speed as the regular motorist :confused:

Rob K:

brit pete:

Excuse me Pete, but since when does not flashing a lorry in come under the heading ā€œDANGER TO OTHER ROAD USERSā€ ?

I eagerly await your explanation for this one.

:unamused:

Pete didnā€™t mean they would do you for not flashing, he meant they would do you for slowing down. In Germany they take a dim view of you doing that as the onus is on the overtaking driver, if they are not doing 10 km/ph more than you they shouldnā€™t be overtaking you. If they are doing 10km, or more, per hour than you then there should be no need to slow down. The bit I have made bold in Peteā€™s quote above explains this.

On the subject of flashing I will do it if I get the chance but more often than not these days they are coming back in before you have had a chance to reach for the switch. All you can do then is ease of, and if you flash then it could be interpreted as an angry flash.

I like to be flashed in i also like to flash in, also like the left right indicator thing that we all do it just a way i see it of saying thx.

coffeeholic ,i was not commenting on the NON-FLASHING IN but the part
where he said HE SLOWED DOWN to let them in!!!
AS this is frowned on and they do get very upset.

. I do flash people in but ALSO Ihave to be carefull when and where as if the police are about doing RADAR TRAPā€“OR TRAFFIC CHECK and you are seen to be flashing the other roadusers ,they will if stop and fine you,
WHY --for warning the other roadusers, this is in germany,

If I have another truck overtaking I will ease off by about two or three mph and let them go, I will then flash my lights when the overtaking truck is approximately three metres forward of the front of me.

The highway code defines the action of flashing headlights the same as sounding the horn, to make other vehicles aware you are there. In effect that is what I believe I am doing, I am not giving the OK to move in merely reinforcing the other drivers perception of where I am. The onus is, and remains with the overtaker.

If other drivers do not wish to flash, so be it! but as Conor said it is really a matter of courtesy and I also agree it seperates us from the rest of the pack we are all too quick to criticise.

I WILL CONTINUE TO FLASH AS A MATTER OF COURTESY to other Professional Drivers.

CM:
If I have another truck overtaking I will ease off by about two or three mph and let them go, I will then flash my lights when the overtaking truck is approximately three metres forward of the front of me.

The highway code defines the action of flashing headlights the same as sounding the horn, to make other vehicles aware you are there. In effect that is what I believe I am doing, I am not giving the OK to move in merely reinforcing the other drivers perception of where I am. The onus is, and remains with the overtaker.

If other drivers do not wish to flash, so be it! but as Conor said it is really a matter of courtesy and I also agree it seperates us from the rest of the pack we are all too quick to criticise.

I WILL CONTINUE TO FLASH AS A MATTER OF COURTESY to other Professional Drivers.

ditto

I really do apreciate getting flashed in, as a newbie it helps a great deal. I always do the left/right thing to show my thanks too so keep on flashing. :blush:

I flash. I do it to say, yep, Iā€™m happy with where you are right now. Nope, thereā€™s noone coming up the slip road on your left. And yes, I have seen you.

Whether they choose to come in or not doesnā€™t really bother me. I usually try to ease off a bit, but I tend to go about 53 anyway. Better fuel economy and means that noone struggles to overtake me. I get paid by the hour :stuck_out_tongue: