Drivers who flash

I always flash another wagon in.

i always flash a driver

Well I never get flashed in, I drive a tipper, need I say anymore no one likes us :frowning: :frowning:

gav:
Well I never get flashed in, I drive a tipper, need I say anymore no one likes us :frowning: :frowning:

yea your right :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I dont normally flash people in, but in bad weather when the visibility is bad, I might do it, normally if you are overtaking someone its the prat behind you who flashes when you are 3 mm past the truck you are passing :stuck_out_tongue:

What really annoys me is these prats who come past and indicate to come in when they do not have the power, or cars who pass you on a blind bend then indicate left when they are 3 feet in front :smiling_imp:

I just love the morons who pull into moving traffic off the hardshoulder before building there speed up, and think because they are indicating they have right of way, never seen a wagon do it though :smiley:

gav:
I just love the morons who pull into moving traffic off the hardshoulder before building there speed up, and think because they are indicating they have right of way, never seen a wagon do it though :smiley:

worse than that was the moron who stopped on the A1 in front of me to allow a car to merge from the acceleration lane :imp: :imp:

he was lucky I was keeping my speed down past Sandy :imp: :imp:

Gurner:
but when i was a newbie it helped loads for someone to flash me in, or id be stuck out there for ages to paranoid to come in to early.

Yep … absolutly …

many a sweaty moment whilst overtaking the Rob K’s of this world …
After all were not all BORN EXPERTS!!!

Its a pity that a lot of the camaraderie has disappeared. I’ve have just spent 10 months driving trucks in NZ where every truck driver waves to the other truckie in the opposite direction. Even at night it is a quick flash of the right hand indicator, just to say hello.

placidcasual:
Its a pity that a lot of the camaraderie has disappeared. I’ve have just spent 10 months driving trucks in NZ where every truck driver waves to the other truckie in the opposite direction. Even at night it is a quick flash of the right hand indicator, just to say hello.

I remember a time when the traffic was so sparse on the M1 at night that if the moon was out many of us used to drive on sidelights. The occasional truck coming the other way with heads would switch to sides out of courtesy. We would then give a quick flash in thanks and he back again in acknowledgement. Sounds ridiculous now but it did give you a good feeling of camaraderie.

And yes, I do flash, and when flashed flick my tails twice, the old fashioned way, not the indicators. Indicators can give other road users a wrong signal. Funny thing is that many of my French mates used to say thanks the same way, but only to me, to everybody else it was back to the ambers.

Salut, David.

:smiley: I love to flash. And to be flashed in return.
Got nowt better to do. :laughing:

brit pete:
coffeeholic ,i was not commenting on the NON-FLASHING IN but the part
where he said HE SLOWED DOWN to let them in!!!
AS this is frowned on and they do get very upset.

Yeah I know Pete, which is why I was pointing out to Rob he had misread your post and you didn’t mean the flashing part.

Okay okay, looks like I got this one wrong then :blush: .

I used to allus flash but then only the past few years I’ve noticed that they start coming back in before a safe distance has been left and also when you do flash them in I’ve noticed more and more don’t bother acknowledging you so I thought [zb] to this (with a capital B) and gave up unless a motor was really creeping past or on a hill etc.

Unless the motorway is busy then I tend to hover around 50mph these days anyway as the thought of the hourly rate seems to do something to my right foot where it refuses to contact the gas pedal :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: . At 50mph the majority of stuff is coming past at 6mph more which means that the overtake never lasts more than 20-30 seconds and they can clearly see that they’re past you and rapidly pulling away when they look in their n/s mirror so flashing seems a bit of a pointless exercise.

But I digress. It would appear from the posts here that it is still a welcome thing to receive so on that note I shall re-instate my flashes for the benefit of those that find it helpful. :slight_smile:

As for you Brit Pete with your comments about being “done” by the German plod for easing off, I quote rule 144 from the UK[/b] Highway Code primarily for your benefit :
> 144: Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.
That aside, I have noted your comments about driving in Germany[/b], but allow me to refresh your memory in that I was referring to the driving code of practice in the UK, not Germany.
:bulb:

Rob K:
Okay okay, looks like I got this one wrong then :blush: .

■■■■ me I never thought I’d read this :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

CM:
If I have another truck overtaking I will ease off by about two or three mph and let them go, I will then flash my lights when the overtaking truck is approximately three metres forward of the front of me.

Its a shame there are not more drivers like you. Many times I have passed trucks on the road and its clear I have the slight power advantage or else I would not be passing them. But due to wind forces at a certain point you hit a dead spot . The other truck wont ease of a little to let you passed and get on and leave him.

Then you are stuck for what seams miles trying to pass him slowly or drop back and you are then stuck right behind him gaining on him yet again and so the process is repeated again.

Traffic would flow easier if drivers used a little of there brains instead of letting their pride take over.
I must stress that not all drivers are like this. A majority respect others drivers that are passing them.

thanks ROB K ,and as you stated you were talking abóut the UK ,so this brings home to those who are driveing outside the UK,every country is different,inthere trafic rules and roadsense(BEHAVIOUR),soit makes sense to try and learn about the rules of the places you visit,
and this can be from behaviourin the tunnels of AUSTRIA7SWITZERLAND/ITALY etc etc to the correct way to park in LUXEMBURG; ( WHEEL CHOCKS MUST BE USED when parking);
THE USE OF CERTAIN ROADS WHEN CARRYING certain hazerdous goods, or tunnels,
The dept of transport in the UK does do some good booklets concerning
the rules and procedures when visiting other countrys and all you have to do is ask for them and they will send them to you.

ref David51:

Acceleration Lane. Now there’s a phrase…

When I said to my wife in the passenger seat of our car the other day:-

“Now that’s why I don’t bother letting women out of [zb] slip roads anymore, they used to call it an acceleration lane for a good reason”,

I was met with a blank look…

Need I say more?

Too obvious. L. :wink:

im ballsed off with all this flashing in…

no adays even if you dont flash someone in they just pull in anyway. il flash someone in when they are 1 1/2 time the lenght of their lorry to pull in but half the time they dont even bother with waiting that long they just pull in and give the indicator wink… whats the point!!!
last night on the M1 i passed a car pulling a caravan and he flashed me in so i pulled over and i couldnt have been more than 3 feet in front of him :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: in fact in my mirrors i couldn see him or the caravan just the lights behind the trailer.

like i said whats the point.

David5l:

gav:

worse than that was the moron who stopped on the A1 in front of me to allow a car to merge from the acceleration lane :imp: :imp:

he was lucky I was keeping my speed down past Sandy :imp: :imp:

i had a similiar one last month. the car joined the carriageway in front of me then slammed the brakes on to allow another car to join. i was doing around 50 with a 44 tonner. luckily it was the globey and i had already discovered that is has 2 horns. a beepy one and a nice LOUD one :smiling_imp:
it also comes with hand signals when i am driving it :laughing:

brit pete:
The dept of transport in the UK does do some good booklets concerning
the rules and procedures when visiting other countrys and all you have to do is ask for them and they will send them to you.

Can you elaborate on how to get hold of these priceless gems and how much they cost ?
(would like to venture across the water someday)