Drivers steering knob for Daf 65? (No jokes pls)

I’m after one of those drivers knobs for the steering wheel.
I’ve looked on the net & there are loads but the wheel diameter is approx 36mm & all won’t fit after contacting the sellers!
Has anyone got one for a Daf 65? Where did you get it?

Cheers. :slight_smile:

what for?

Yes, honestly, what for? What benefit do you think it would bring?

Moose:
what for?

It is obviously for a conversion they’ve made to the original chassis, they have reversed the seating position and installed a counterweight over the steer axle and a set of forks over the drive axle, after all there can’t be another reason why you would want a knob on the steering wheel…unless it’s an OCD thing about odd numbers and you need one to make a pair with the one behind the wheel :open_mouth: :laughing:

I drive numerous different motors every week, some with, some without…In my experience, they are a pain in the arse and actually contribute to you turning the steering wheel too quickly, the last thing you want when you are doing a difficult reverse, they don`t make the job any easier and get in the way when you are cruising.
I see no real need for them to be honest :confused:

newmercman:

Moose:
what for?

…unless it’s an OCD thing about odd numbers and you need one to make a pair with the one behind the wheel :open_mouth: :laughing:

LOL

I used to have one on a ERF, I think they are an aid not a hindrence! :blush:

They are a bit like Michelin Men on the mirrors, a throwback to the 1970s.

Every Volvo F88 had one, but what the OP needs to remember is that back in the day you could drive all the way to Saudi Arabia without ever once having to go round a corner, or reverse. And even then they just got in the way.

If they were any use, truck manufacturers would offer them as an option…

In all seriousness, here’s one on ebay that would fit.

ebay.co.uk/itm/STEERING-WHEE … 352wt_1344

You just have to get this thing called a “spanner” and turn the bit around on the bottom that looks like a 50p piece- we in the trade call it a “nut”, untiil it won’t go round any more, and then it fits. :unamused:

daf1691:
I’ve looked on the net & there are loads but the wheel diameter is approx 36mm & all won’t fit after contacting the sellers!

daf.com/daftrpcatalogus/trp/en/tenindex.htm
Its on the Website of Daf.com Accesssories.
Put in Search Box:
( Accessories
Miscellaneous
Knob - Steering wheel )

daf1691:

You may want to post this on the model trucks thread… :open_mouth:

newmercman:

Moose:
what for?

It is obviously for a conversion they’ve made to the original chassis, they have reversed the seating position and installed a counterweight over the steer axle and a set of forks over the drive axle, after all there can’t be another reason why you would want a knob on the steering wheel…unless it’s an OCD thing about odd numbers and you need one to make a pair with the one behind the wheel :open_mouth: :laughing:

Class! :smiley:

Oh and BTW if you genuinely need one of those to steer a road vehicle, I’d seriously suggest you need one of these as well.

Actually, looking at that one it might just belong to someone on here! :wink:

Why don’t you put one on your bell end it would be as much use there!

Anyone who fits a steering knob to the steering wheel is a twonk !
The wheel is supposed to be able to be slid stage by stage through one of you hand whilst the other hand controls it.
Do you know why it has to be removed for a MOT or Driving test ? … Because it’s not supposed to be there FFS

I think it was someone on these forums that once said “knobs are for nobs” and I’d have to agree with that :frowning:

I can see how they could be useful if you’re doing a lot of shunting in a tight yard but on public roads I honestly think they’re a liability and can be potentially dangerous.

tachograph:
I can see how they could be useful if you’re doing a lot of shunting in a tight yard but on public roads I honestly think they’re a liability and can be potentially dangerous.

Quite agree. Apart from anything else they wreck modern steering wheels. They’re not even fitted as standard on farm tractors, where you do have to work the other controls whilst driving. Strictly for disabled cars and forklifts.

Harry Monk:
Yes, honestly, what for? What benefit do you think it would bring?

Come on Harry FFS!!
They look sooooooooo coooooooooooool :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:
NOT

Level head mode -on-.
Each to their own i guess.

knob heads who uses these should :unamused: :unamused: be shot. end of.

Our CPC guy said they were trying to make these illegal? Any truth in that or more BS?

If a driver really wants one of these on his road/highway truck he has obviously never had a front wheel blow out at speed with a loaded truck. The force will initially rip the wheel one way or the other and that knob will break your arm.
As stated by others on here ‘They are great for shunters’ in fact I imagine shunting without one would be hell.