Drivers seat how bad is yours?

Would you refuse to drive a vehicle if your seat was torn and the foam exposed ?

Yes i’m sure thats on the walk around check is it not. Get it VOR’d, very unsafe. Its your licence after all.

How bad are you talking?

Of course I wouldn’t refuse to drive it. If was my allocated motor however I’d push to have it replaced/ upholstered. Failing that I’d probably buy a cheap seat cover and book an extra few hours to cover the cost.

Torn seat unsafe? Heard it all now.

the maoster:

Foam exposed , uncomfortable , everyone in office sitting on nice seats :open_mouth:

So i am driving along thinking how comfortable they must be so this is a distraction :laughing:

thetastytrucker:

the maoster:

Foam exposed , uncomfortable , everyone in office sitting on nice seats :open_mouth:

So i am driving along thinking how comfortable they must be so this is a distraction :laughing:

Yeah I get that. Like everything in life though it’s a balancing act with many variables; is the seat that uncomfortable that it’s affecting your driving? Is this lorry one that you regularly drive and cover thousands of miles in? If the answer to either of them is yes then I certainly agree that it needs sorting.

I’m all for drivers standing up for themselves but you need to have perspective on certain things, a lorry is a tool for a job, nothing more, nothing less. It’s also a tool for putting money into your bank account, so depending upon your standing within the company maybe you can kick off and demand that it’s sorted, or perhaps as I earlier suggested a cheap seat cover is all that is need to keep the peace.

the maoster:

Right, so you have that on your walkaround check as well.

thetastytrucker:

the maoster:

My new daily drive has a small rip in the seat and the foam is exposed.

From someone that has spent more than enough time sat in a ‘comfortable’ office chair, I’ll take the truck thank you very much.

thetastytrucker:
Would you refuse to drive a vehicle if your seat was torn and the foam exposed ?

Is it just the cover fabric that is a little tattered, or is there genuine loss of foam and thus the seat’s “form”?

Also, what’s the firm’s general standard? If you’ve got a good relationship with them and they usually keep things in order, then there’s more room for understanding and temporary compromise, than if it’s the first time you’ve seen their setup and they think they can give you the “agency motor” with bits falling off.

I was second man on a coal lorry many years ago and the drivers seat was in a very bad way. Thing is the seat got wet when it rained and was never dry, The management were told about it but nothing was done. I would not have wanted to be the driver.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a 16 plate scania and the base of the drivers seat was a mess. Foam exposed, chunks missing etc. It looked like you’d be in for an uncomfortable ride when you sat on it. But when you planked your arse on it, it felt absolutely fine.
I’m now on a 20 plate scania with a perfect seat base, but a great big dirty hole on the back caused by a ■■■ burn!!! I’m assuming someone has tried to chuck their lit ■■■ end out the window and it’s blown back in. It would make me feel better if the culprit had a nice matching burn mark on their back [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our job technically involves sitting on our ■■■

So should where we sit our ■■■ be in good condition

I have worked for companies who replace seats, steering wheels, pedal rubbers and windscreens as part of the routine maintenance. I have also worked for the ones who refuse to change a tyre until the wire is sparking on the road surface.

If its damaged, report it, if its illegal refuse to drive it.

My old Scania was on full R&M at the local dealer it took months for me to get them to replace a worn seat cushion that was so worn it was as flat as a piece of plywood. Not safety critical, not this not that etc. Trouble is the cost of a new cushion was ridiculous £180 or something like that.

I finally won the battle but it was a hard task.

If it’s just ascetic, only a rip in the cover, it ain’t important.
If the foam is missing (it soon will be, if coverings gone) then maybe it won’t provide support, and before long the metal frame will be exposed.
Defect it, but continue using it until it does become problematic.
The hint of a week off with an industrial injury caused by faulty equipment and compensation payment might concentrate a few minds? [emoji3]

Very nice and comfortable leather heated seats in decent nick but then again they are not a year old yet.

just ring up fleet & theyl give you a job number to get it repaired like everything else , so ■■■■■■■ easy it’s beyond belief , yet we’ve drivers on about buying seat covers as a repair , what kind of tin pot company do they work for , unbelievable

Edge of seat where you get in and out, no problem just get some duct tape and it’s fixed.

If theres a spring sticking in your ■■■, then theres a problem, if there isn`t then crack in

If the sqwab is split, just swop it over with the one from the passenger seat, unless it’s a Volvo (different).

I’ve had 3
seat failure, once in a 4 series p cab, after taking 2days off with bad back, seat was repaired.£300

Another was repaired under warranty, as it was a known fault in DAF’s but wasn’t widely acknowledged by DAF. New seat, £950.

And a Volvo seat, again repaired same day by Volvo’s, This is one of the bonus of full R+M.

Companies don’t like repairing seats due to the costs, It can also be an MOT failure’s, if the tester dreams it’s dangerous.

I’ve noticed that Motors that have a lot of different bums on seats, suffer more than one driver trucks. Is this due to one driver trucks being respected more…

My 20 yr old seat is A1A ,the base started to go thread bare on outer edge so I got a cover off a passenger seat base from a scrap yard and stretched it over my drivers seat base ,a perfect solution. :smiley: and keeping it looking original.