Drivers medical at 50yrs now 55?

Hi,

A driver that I work with is 50 in a months time. He inquired as to when he should receive his medical renewal forms which is normally two months before the due date. He called DVLA today and they informed him that because he had a relatively new photo his renewal would be 2019. This has confused us, can anybody shed any light on this as he thinks its a change in euro law but I can’t find anything.

Thanks in advance,

Ellis

Basically yes it’s a change to licensing in the UK.

The DVLA are slowly bringing category expiry and photo expiry dates into line so the licence can be renewed every 5 years. Category - then photo & category - then category on a 5 year cycle

I think the change came in January 2013 and it’s an ongoing process

Go with the flow , don’t worry it’s happened to lots of drivers at various ages only most renewed photo just before med. was due.
All legal , just accept it.
Jim

I was due my medical next March when I reach 55 but I had to send off my licence for the photo renewal this year. New lucence came back with the truck categories valid until 2019 instead of 2015.

Doesn’t matter to me much as I wasn’t intending to take the medical anyway because I don’t use the licence any more but it’s there for a few more years if I do need it for anything.

There are several threads on here about this 2019 thing.

Thanks for the information,

It all makes sense now.

Anyone over age 40 who has not been issued with a licence since October 2012 will get 5 years LGV entitlement when they change the photo on it even if the photo is nowhere near expiry

Many are now taking advantage of this if they are due a D4 medical very soon

In my case the photo expired in August 2013 and my next D4 medical was due in Dec 2014
I paid £24.50 at a post office which had the special photo machine available to deal with licence photo renewal and got the new style licence issued to me in August 2013 with LGV expiry dates moved to August 2018

Ok so just so I can get this straight, I’m 44 and my first medical is due next year, If I update my handsome picture to an even handsomer one I’ll not have to do a medical till I’m 49?

BTW I’m fit as butchers dog, if I was worried about any medical issues I’d take the medical anyway.

Reef:
Ok so just so I can get this straight, I’m 44 and my first medical is due next year, If I update my handsome picture to an even handsomer one I’ll not have to do a medical till I’m 49?

Correct - except the handsome bit :laughing:

Do not leave it too near to the medical date before changing the photo

I assume you have not had a licence issued to you after October 2012?

Yeah ROG, my Licence is valid from 14-06-11 (changed address and photo) and my C+E entitlement is until 03-07-15

And fyi My Mum said I was handsome (well, after I threatened to empty her vodka down the sink) :laughing:

Reef:
Yeah ROG, my Licence is valid from 14-06-11 (changed address and photo) and my C+E entitlement is until 03-07-15

I would change photo in late April 2015

Ok thanks ROG

Just checked mine as med due in February 15, renewed photo earlier this year, good to go till 2019 cheers DVLA

ROG:
Anyone over age 40 who has not been issued with a licence since October 2012 will get 5 years LGV entitlement when they change the photo on it even if the photo is nowhere near expiry

In my case the photo expired in August 2013 and my next D4 medical was due in Dec 2014
I paid £24.50 at a post office which had the special photo machine available to deal with licence photo renewal and got the new style licence issued to me in August 2013 with LGV expiry dates moved to August 2018

Hi Rog

If I am 65 now and next renewal is dated 02 March 2015, day before 66th birthday. Last renewal in 2009. What would happen to me if I renewed my photo at some point before March 2015 ■■

Thanks

shake:

ROG:

Hi Rog

If I am 65 now and next renewal is dated 02 March 2015, day before 66th birthday. Last renewal in 2009. What would happen to me if I renewed my photo at some point before March 2015 ■■

Thanks

Not sure what happens in your case but I suspect you might get one more year added

Thanks

ROG:

Im 29 and just updated my photo, came back as a 5 year licence, does that mean a medical each time?

m_attt:

ROG:

Im 29 and just updated my photo, came back as a 5 year licence, does that mean a medical each time?

I think you are on the new 5 year self assessment medical until at least age 45 … can anyone give a link to that because I cannot seem to find one?

m_attt:

ROG:

I don’t think you need a medical untill you are 45

I didn’t but the license’s rules seamed to have all changed without much documentation. Hoping it just means i need to update photo every 5 years, at least its free.

m_attt:
I didn’t but the license’s rules seamed to have all changed without much documentation. Hoping it just means i need to update photo every 5 years, at least its free.

Photo is valid for 10 years even if it only shows 5 on the licence

I changed my photo in Aug 2013 and its valid until Aug 2023 but as the next LGV D4 medical is due in Aug 2018 then the photo in 4b shows Aug 2018 but when I do the D4 in Aug 2018 I will not have to supply a new photo