Drivers medical at 50yrs now 55?

Under the new regime, your vocational licence is indeed only valid for 5 years, but then you simply have to sign a medical declaration when you renew. The 5-yearly medical with a doctor kicks in at age 45.

ROG:

m_attt:
I didn’t but the license’s rules seamed to have all changed without much documentation. Hoping it just means i need to update photo every 5 years, at least its free.

Photo is valid for 10 years even if it only shows 5 on the licence

I changed my photo in Aug 2013 and its valid until Aug 2023 but as the next LGV D4 medical is due in Aug 2018 then the photo in 4b shows Aug 2018 but when I do the D4 in Aug 2018 I will not have to supply a new photo

Thanks Rog, they dont like making things easy when it comes to licence rules.

Roymondo:
Under the new regime, your vocational licence is indeed only valid for 5 years, but then you simply have to sign a medical declaration when you renew. The 5-yearly medical with a doctor kicks in at age 45.

Ideal cheers

As far as I am aware, they wont renew it if you are under DVLA with a medical condition, I know for a fact because they wouldn’t renew it for me, but merely sent my forms out before the due date, and then still took 6 months to renew it.

truckyboy:
As far as I am aware, they wont renew it if you are under DVLA with a medical condition, I know for a fact because they wouldn’t renew it for me, but merely sent my forms out before the due date, and then still took 6 months to renew it.

I had that with my right eye issue but all they do is send you a letter stating you are still ok to drive LGVs and to attend one of their medical places of your choice for free within a certain time frame to get the issue resolved

I’ve been waiting 10 weeks for my renewal to come back from dvla!

When I call them they just say it’s in the system and will be dealt with.

My entitlements have now expired.
Anyone else been waiting for theirs to come back?

paul64k:
I’ve been waiting 10 weeks for my renewal to come back from dvla!

When I call them they just say it’s in the system and will be dealt with.

My entitlements have now expired.
Anyone else been waiting for theirs to come back?

Do you have any medical issues, or is it a straightforward rubber-stamp renewal?

No issues with the medical. Dvla just said it’s in a queue waiting to be dealt with.

I’m starting a new job in January and they need my licence at the induction.

Hi Guys, Rog, my problem was because I need to have a treadmill test ( every 3 years ) an it was due this year, that’s why I mentioned that if you have a medical problem you may not get an extension when you send in a photo.
Paul, my licence took 6 months, I sent a photo off in March, but they sent out my medical forms, it meant that they had to organise a treadmill test at my hospital that took nearly 2 months, I had to book the appointment myself, but DVLA organised their paperwork with them, they only use overland mail instead of emails, I even involved my MP but didn’t get anywhere, the good news was the new licence was dated for August, instead of March, which I had insisted upon, but all is now done and I am back in a new job. I couldn’t go abroad without a licence as their covering letter is mainly only accepted in the uk. good luck with your renewal and new job, you can also ask for a covering letter, and your driver licencing can be accessed from the internet for your new employer if needs be.

truckyboy:
Hi Guys, Rog, my problem was because I need to have a treadmill test ( every 3 years ) an it was due this year, that’s why I mentioned that if you have a medical problem you may not get an extension when you send in a photo.

I did - was on 3 yearly eye checks but that got overlooked for 5 years but I expect it to go back to the 3 yearly from 2018

Cheers truckyboy, I will ask them to send me a covering letter tomorrow. But if my new employer looks at my license online it will still show my entitlements as expired. I just hope it comes back before then.

ROG:

shake:

ROG:
Anyone over age 40 who has not been issued with a licence since October 2012 will get 5 years LGV entitlement when they change the photo on it even if the photo is nowhere near expiry

Many are now taking advantage of this if they are due a D4 medical very soon

In my case the photo expired in August 2013 and my next D4 medical was due in Dec 2014
I paid £24.50 at a post office which had the special photo machine available to deal with licence photo renewal and got the new style licence issued to me in August 2013 with LGV expiry dates moved to August 2018

Hi Rog

If I am 65 now and next renewal is dated 02 March 2015, day before 66th birthday. Last renewal in 2009. What would happen to me if I renewed my photo at some point before March 2015 ■■

Thanks

Not sure what happens in your case but I suspect you might get one more year added

Just wanted to say thanks Rog. I applied on line the same night and I put the reason for renwal as a changed photo expecting the application to be printed off and then up to me to post the application with a new photo. However it all went ahead online with no new photo and no charge.

Today I recieved in seperate envelopes a new DQC (No date change) and a new DL with the date extended from March 2015 to 06 Dec 2015 so I have got an extra 9 months and as I will be nearly 67 by then I don’t think I will be renewing again. The only difference is that the new cards have the expiry date printed on the photo.

So thanks for the money saving on the medical and who knows I may have failed it.