Drivers log book?

Hi, I drive a lorry with tacho nearly every working day but occasionally I spend a day in the warehouse or drive a small van without a tacho. I have read somewhere a couple of times that I should be filling in a daily log book so if stopped by vosa they can see what I have been doing on days I’m not using my tacho. Also is this now required by law? Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.

Our place has just got us to start filling in blank tacho discs if we’re doing non tacho work, and completing the front of the envelope regardless of what we’ve been driving or doing.

If we do any combination of work, that involves driving a truck with a digi, then we have to do manual entries for any other work we do on that day.

We’ve knocked the old style letters on the head.

Thanks for that. You don’t know if it’s now and legal requiment do you?

If a driver does any EU regs work in a fixed week then all other work done in that fixed week must be officially recorded

Officially means recording …
Manual input into digi
manually on digi printout
manually onto analogue cards
UK domestic driving record sheets are also ok for VOSA but not sure if ok for outside uk
It seems some VOSA folk will accept a diary but others will not

In any week that you do any in-scope driving, you must record all work for all days. If hand-written, this record must be on paper tacho charts or the back of a digital printout. Alternatively you can use the manual input procedure of a digi tacho to directly record the information on your card.

The only time a handwritten record in a log book would be acceptable is where you were driving under Domestic Rules and a log book entry was legally required.

On non-driving days, the hand-written record only needs to show your start and finish times (i.e. no need to show breaks).

Thanks again. It’s really helpfully. Is there an website address or somewhere I can find this on the Internet to shoe my boss. Thanks again very much.

Davids3031:
Thanks again. It’s really helpfully. Is there an website address or somewhere I can find this on the Internet to shoe my boss. Thanks again very much.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 013:EN:PDF
Article 4
(e) ‘other work’ means all activities which are defined as
working time in Article 3(a) of Directive 2002/15/EC
except ‘driving’, including any work for the same or
another employer, within or outside of the transport
sector;

Article 6
5. A driver shall record as other work any time spent as
described in Article 4(e) as well as any time spent driving a
vehicle used for commercial operations not falling within the
scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods of
availability, as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of Regulation (EEC)
No 3821/85, since his last daily or weekly rest period. This
record shall be entered either manually on a record sheet, a
printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording
equipment.

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … 1111_3.pdf
Recording other work
Drivers must record all other work and periods of availability — including work for other employers — on all driving and non-driving days within a week where they have undertaken driving that comes within the scope of the EU rules on drivers’ hours since their last weekly rest.

For example, a driver who works in a warehouse on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and wishes to drive a vehicle within the scope of the EU rules on Thursday of the same week must complete records for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The record must be either:

• written manually on a chart;
  • written manually on a printout from a digital tachograph;
  • made by using the manual input facility of a digital tachograph; or
  • for days where a driver has been subject to the domestic drivers’ hours rules and a record is legally
    required (see page 27), recorded in a domestic log book.

For the non-driving days, the record may simply show the driver’s name, the date, and the start and finish of the shift. These records must be carried on the vehicle by the driver to be produced to enforcement officers for the relevant period (see individual sections on how to make manual entries).

Thanks again. So just to clarify. I am required by law to carry with me some sort of log that shows what I have been doing on my non tacho days.

Davids3031:
Thanks again. So just to clarify. I am required by law to carry with me some sort of log that shows what I have been doing on my non tacho days.

You must show your working activity for a week where you fall under EU regulations.

So even if you only take a lorry up the road to another site (half hour driving for example), the whole week becomes EU hours and must be accounted for.

If you are efficient you can put these hours into a Digi tacho or onto blank tacho discs (this would cover your 28 days records)

If you only do very small amounts of actual EU driving then a log book is an efficient method of showing those hours along with your tacho records for the actual driving.

So for example. I drive mon tue wed on tacho, in warehouse thur, drive fri on tacho, off sat and sun. Drive a small van no tacho on Monday, and tacho tue wed thur and fri. I will need a record of the thur and Monday I wasn’t on tacho

Davids3031:
So for example. I drive mon tue wed on tacho, in warehouse thur, drive fri on tacho, off sat and sun. Drive a small van no tacho on Monday, and tacho tue wed thur and fri. I will need a record of the thur and Monday I wasn’t on tacho

Correct :smiley:

this is what could happen if you don’t

4-47
DRIVER:-
FAIL TO RECORD ACTIVITIES NOT FALLING INTO SCOPE OF 561/2006
(EC REGULATIONS)
Requirement is to record:-
ï‚·
any time spent as defined as working time in Article 3(a) of 2002/15/EC,
ï‚·
any time spent driving a vehicle used for commercial operations not falling with in the scope of 561/2006,
ï‚·
any periods of availability as defined in Article 15(3)(c) of 3821/85

• since the last daily or weekly rest period
    It shall be recorded either manually on a record sheet, a print-out or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment.

Driver TE160DH During the roadside check, the TE
will examine the driver’s tachograph
records. If a driver has contravened
the regulations, the vehicle may
be prohibited (Prohibition Notice
TE160DH). This may result
in further investigation of the
operator’s systems of record-keeping
etc., and may lead to prosecution.
Operator GV170
Article 6(5), Council Regulation EC 561/2006, Transport Act 1968, Section 96(11A), SO-4

dar1976:
If you only do very small amounts of actual EU driving then a log book is an efficient method of showing those hours along with your tacho records for the actual driving.

It may be efficient (from the driver’s POV) but a logbook does not satisfy the legal requirement - the non-driving days must be recorded on tacho charts, digi printouts or manually entered onto the driver’s digicard. The only time a logbook entry would be acceptable is if it was legally required (under Domestic Rules).

Roymondo:

dar1976:

It may be efficient (from the driver’s POV) but a logbook does not satisfy the legal requirement - the non-driving days must be recorded on tacho charts, digi printouts or manually entered onto the driver’s digicard. The only time a logbook entry would be acceptable is if it was legally required (under Domestic Rules).

Raymondo, fully understand what your saying mate and agree that’s what the regs say, however, Bonnielass got pulled by vosa a few months ago I seem to remember, and she showed the Log book pages that she had printed from the back of Drivers hours regs, and said the log was fine!? For the days she had not been driving in that week. Depends on vosa officer? Maybe.

I use a diary when i,m not driving with start and finish times for work in the yard etc. The law says written record checked with local vosa office and it,s ok.

Even if i,m on holiday or have a day off it goes in the diary.

We used to use the letter but for some reason vosa in bath don,t accept it. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just trying to get to grips with this…

I do work for an agency. If I’m unemployed, then get a driving job with an agency, starting on a Thursday, I can write in a diary for Monday & Tuesday Wednesday as “unemployed” is that ok?

coaster:

I do work for an agency. If I’m unemployed, then get a driving job with an agency, starting on a Thursday, I can write in a diary for Monday & Tuesday Wednesday as “unemployed” is that ok?

You would not need any records for those days as they would be regarded as rest but if filling in a weekly sheet then I would put REST DAY on each of those days to save any questions

ROG:

coaster:

You would not need any records for those days as they would be regarded as rest but if filling in a weekly sheet then I would put REST DAY on each of those days to save any questions

thanks for the info Rog!! will do :smiley:

Yep, I was asked for my manual records a couple of years back at a VOSA stop; didn’t have a clue as to what she was on about! Anyway, no fine, just advice and asked to fill out the back of a couple of charts manually.
I now run a sheet with daily start & finish times etc so everything is recorded, even days that I’m in the office etc.

I also fall into this category where most weeks I drive van & forklift but with the odd day out on the class 2, I have just been writing on a notepad my activities but not ideal, I want to get a decent logbook most I have seen are 31 pages, can anyone provide a link for maybe a 52 week one please… :smiley: