Drivers licence check [transport manager]

its has been 3 mths with my new job i have ask all drivers to bring in licences for checks for a 3 mth check one driver did not bring his licence in a notice has been on the board and wage slip
can i refuse to let this driver drive a vehicle its been 3 weeks sinch notice
do i have a legal right to inspect licences as he has refuse to bring it in
any suggestios thanks

You have the right to request anything, within reason - you are the boss. I think you also have a duty to check licences every so often (but I could be wrong on that one). Also, I think I’ve seen on here that you can do a licence check with DVLA, I know that on the cover note I’ve got whilst waiting for my licence there’s a phone number that says “If you require confirmation on Cover to drive please telephone the following number: 0300 790 6825” but I guess you’ll need his driver number for that. Hope that helps.
I would be suspicious if someone refused to show me his licence, to be honest. :confused:

The Sarge:
You have the right to request anything, within reason - you are the boss. I think you also have a duty to check licences every so often (but I could be wrong on that one). Also, I think I’ve seen on here that you can do a licence check with DVLA, I know that on the cover note I’ve got whilst waiting for my licence there’s a phone number that says “If you require confirmation on Cover to drive please telephone the following number: 0300 790 6825” but I guess you’ll need his driver number for that. Hope that helps.
I would be suspicious if someone refused to show me his licence, to be honest. :confused:

i have done this already but req driver to confirm this the last transport manager did nt ask for drivers licence and i am thinking he has not got a hgv licence i am trying to cover myself
i will have to see him monday morning if he dont produce licence i will have to suspend him

spanishvan:

The Sarge:

i have done this already but req driver to confirm this the last transport manager did nt ask for drivers licence and i am thinking he has not got a hgv licence i am trying to cover myself
i will have to see him monday morning if he dont produce licence i will have to suspend him

i have change things like all drivers to hand in keys at night
fuel card/drivers time del collection reg no
the place was a shambles when i arrived here but i am sorting things out now

Good luck with that, nice to see a TM trying to make an improvement :slight_smile:

The Sarge:
Good luck with that, nice to see a TM trying to make an improvement :slight_smile:

i have uped the drivers wage and a bounus scheme and we have offered a meal payment too
he did offer a leter from dvla but that looks dud too looks like its been copyed cutting off header he is driving a 55 plate unit which is chart taco i have inform him he req to apply for digi card as he has not got one ?
i have spoken to the ex transport manager he said he did not employ him the director did spoken to him he said no he did not
i have advise director if he does not produce licence on monday i am going to suspended him till he produce his licence
my moto is no licence no keys

I thought you had to have a digi license if you needed one or not.

Give him a written warning, that should be fun!!!

Agreed - licence checks are normally every 6 months, although an employee should inform you of any change of circumstances (like a ban) funilly enough with all the time taken with fines, court cases etc they sometime forget to mention it.

Also check the issue number on the photo card matches that on the paper bit. I’ve seen someone tell the DVLA they have lost the paper copy then use the new one to collect points and the old one to present when they need a clean licence.

Always remember if he gets caught its you that will get stamped on, can’t see him taking you down tesco’s to pay for a weekly shop as an apology for getting you sacked !!!

Wheel Nut:
Give him a written warning, that should be fun!!!

hes had 2
1 is for hitting a car and not informing company within 24 hrs
2 being late due to he oversleeping at home which cost the us 1300 quid in transport all our jobs are printing so got to be there on time we give drivers notice 36 hrs before job
i have 2 minds to sack him on the spot
hes been there 6 mths in his fortys

gazzaman58:
Agreed - licence checks are normally every 6 months, although an employee should inform you of any change of circumstances (like a ban) funilly enough with all the time taken with fines, court cases etc they sometime forget to mention it.

Also check the issue number on the photo card matches that on the paper bit. I’ve seen someone tell the DVLA they have lost the paper copy then use the new one to collect points and the old one to present when they need a clean licence.

Always remember if he gets caught its you that will get stamped on, can’t see him taking you down tesco’s to pay for a weekly shop as an apology for getting you sacked !!!

i have phoned his last employers they said he likes a drink ? so maybe hes got a dd ban but i have not being informed of this i did check his cab yesterday no smell of beer he might leave windows open all day [i dont it to be a mrs driver]
with in this month we are putting a drink/drug test random test over the next 12 mths

If he can’t produce his licence, you can phone dvla BUT does that prove he is who he says he is on the phone etc?

I’d say no licence, no job. We can all lose a licence, but a replacement only takes a couple of weeks max.

You are well within your rights to sack him if he refuses to produce licence on request.

Also, sounds like he’s a ■■■■ worker anyway, in 6mths he’s trashed a car, failed to report it and been late twice?

waynedl:
If he can’t produce his licence, you can phone dvla BUT does that prove he is who he says he is on the phone etc?

I’d say no licence, no job. We can all lose a licence, but a replacement only takes a couple of weeks max.

You are well within your rights to sack him if he refuses to produce licence on request.

Also, sounds like he’s a [zb] worker anyway, in 6mths he’s trashed a car, failed to report it and been late twice?

Reading your first paragraph are you sure about that one fella as I was under the impression that DVLA could give licence details? Classes (C+E) etc

OTS:
I thought you had to have a digi license if you needed one or not.

No, no legal requirement to have a digi card. Companies may want you to have one even if you only drive analogue in case they need to hire in a vehicle but if you don’t want to have one nothing says you must.

paulfromwire:

waynedl:

Also, sounds like he’s a [zb] worker anyway, in 6mths he’s trashed a car, failed to report it and been late twice?

Reading your first paragraph are you sure about that one fella as I was under the impression that DVLA could give licence details? Classes (C+E) etc

I’ve read that twice and don’t really understand what you’re saying?

I’ve said he can phone the DVLA for a licence check - you have to have the driver there to confirm some details and say it’s ok for them to answer the companies questions. I’ve had it done a few times over the years. BUT, if you were using someone elses details, who’d know? At least with a photo licence it’s gotta look something like you.

waynedl:

paulfromwire:

waynedl:

I’ve read that twice and don’t really understand what you’re saying?

I’ve said he can phone the DVLA for a licence check - you have to have the driver there to confirm some details and say it’s ok for them to answer the companies questions. I’ve had it done a few times over the years. BUT, if you were using someone elses details, who’d know? At least with a photo licence it’s gotta look something like you.

i thought that the driver has to be preasent at the phone call dvla can not give you info unless the person is there but if the driver knows the address postcode drivers no it could be anyone

spanishvan:
i thought that the driver has to be preasent at the phone call dvla can not give you info unless the person is there but if the driver knows the address postcode drivers no it could be anyone

Hadn’t thought of that, data protection would mean that the driver would have to be present. Just suspend him, and if the licence doesn’t arrive by Friday, sack him. As you say, no licence, no keys…

it does sound a bit dodgy that he wont or cant produce his licence for you,when i worked for an agency we always had to have ours checked every 3 months by the agency which wasnt a big deal,the agency rang DVLA asked for the licence check we confirmed it was ok to tell them and then they got the info they needed so if he refuses to do that then i would certainly sack him because its your neck on the line if something really bad happens whilst he is driving… :neutral_face:

however you still need to see it to take a photocopy for your records because like waynedl said he could give any details over the phone,without the photo id its not valid

spanishvan:
hes had 2
1 is for hitting a car and not informing company within 24 hrs
2 being late due to he oversleeping at home which cost the us 1300 quid in transport all our jobs are printing so got to be there on time we give drivers notice 36 hrs before job

And he’s still driving for you■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Get rid! Anyone who shows so little respect for their employers equipment and business shouldn’t be allowed near it!

I’d sack him on the spot, seems a bit sus!!!
ps, I’m available for relief work and I will show you my license (now which one of these six is mine■■?) :slight_smile: