Drivers licence check [transport manager]

If I was you. i’d check them every 3 months, no licence, no job. You are legally required to check the drivers licences every so often, don’t know if it’s 3 or 6 months.

quote=“raymundo”]I’d sack him on the spot, seems a bit sus!!!
ps
, I’m available for relief work and I will show you my license (now which one of these six is mine■■?) :slight_smile:[/qu
we re you live we are in suffolk covered for agency driver

Wheel Nut:
Give him a written warning, that should be fun!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Suspend him OFF pay until he produces proof that he is legally entitled to drive. He then has the option of producing proof or leaving, if he can’t and you cover your back.

The Sarge:
You have the right to request anything, within reason - you are the boss. I think you also have a duty to check licences every so often (but I could be wrong on that one). Also, I think I’ve seen on here that you can do a licence check with DVLA, I know that on the cover note I’ve got whilst waiting for my licence there’s a phone number that says “If you require confirmation on Cover to drive please telephone the following number: 0300 790 6825” but I guess you’ll need his driver number for that. Hope that helps.
I would be suspicious if someone refused to show me his licence, to be honest. :confused:

I think you will find if you phone DVLA they have an automative messege that you have to lissen to before you can speak to them
somewhere on the lines of
if you are not the licence holder we will not relice a licence or give out any licence details until the licecne holder contacts us first

Personally like everyone ells
smashing up the wagon and sleeping in costing you bid bucks; I would let him go

This hapened at a spot I worked at
fellow was driving with no licnece coz he had been banned
but they only found out coz he was pinching stuff and police where called in and that was the end of him
Stuff never went missing after that day

Why wouldn’t a HGV Driver keep his/her license on them? I have a portable safe type thing in my cab and on a Monday I lock my Car keys and wallet in there until Friday/Saturday when I go home.

Lets suppose you let him continue driving, he has an accident in your truck and put someone in hospital or worse. Along comes the police to do a check, oops!! he has no license for whatever reason… You would be at fault also for allowing him to drive, aiding and abetting an unlicensed driver maybe (whether you knew or not). Injured party sues you and your company for zillions for no insurance on the driver.

Simple, if hes got nothing to hide he would happily produce his licence. Just tell him that he is suspended until he can produce it because its your ■■■ on the line. Also how is he on the company insurance if hes never produced his documents. If he dont like it show him where the gate is, there are plenty of drivers looking for work.

As the manager of a transport company you have a legal obligation to ensure that all of your employees are legally allowed to drive your vehicles. This makes you legally liable for any employees that fall foul of the law if you have not taken reasonable steps to ensure that they all comply.

You have taken a reasonable step by asking for his licence - He has failed to produce this licence so the next step is to prevent him from driving your vehicles until he can prove otherwise.

Failing to do this leaves you wide open should he have any kind of incident that requires investigation. I for one would not take the risk and suspend him without pay immediately.

Even if you have not had sight of this licence for a while, you should have a record of the licence number in the drivers file, along with his address, NI number and emergency contacts. He must have a drivers file because you have already given him two written warnings I think.

For me I would organise another driver for his vehicle on Monday until I had seen a valid licence

dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/dr … iries.aspx

RobK will know if these web based licence enquiry desks are a con or not.

quote…You have taken a reasonable step by asking for his licence -

But not waiting three weeks to sight it, I dont agree with you that its reasonable at all. And I dont think a court would either.

raymundo:
quote…You have taken a reasonable step by asking for his licence -

But not waiting three weeks to sight it, I dont agree with you that its reasonable at all. And I dont think a court would either.

I didn’t say that waiting 3 weeks was reasonable but his act of asking to see his licence was. I’m not here to judge anyone and its up to the OP to decide what he thinks is reasonable.

Or the judge :question:

As a rule, i used to check licences on a regular basis, depending on how many points the driver had. 0 - 3 every 6 months, 4-8, every 3 months, 9 or above, every month, and you can do it through the DVLA, all you need is a signed letter from your drivers authorising you to complete periodic checks. Each check costs you £5 but if you have a large fleet with 200+ drivers, you can get a discount i believe.

Wheel Nut:
Even if you have not had sight of this licence for a while, you should have a record of the licence number in the drivers file, along with his address, NI number and emergency contacts. He must have a drivers file because you have already given him two written warnings I think.

For me I would organise another driver for his vehicle on Monday until I had seen a valid licence

dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/dr … iries.aspx

RobK will know if these web based licence enquiry desks are a con or not.

i have booked driver for monday also i have phoned driver do not come in he can produce licence text him too

You have done the correct thing I think, you gave him ample opportunity.

Also, you won’t have any trouble next time you need to do a licence check :wink:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that not only are you legally entitled to periodically inspect driving licences, it’s also part of the ‘O-licence’ requirement that all driving employees have their driving licences checked and photocopied. Where I work they do it every six months without fail. Also, I believe that all professional drivers are supposed to carry their licence with them at all times.

papermonkey:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that not only are you legally entitled to periodically inspect driving licences, it’s also part of the ‘O-licence’ requirement that all driving employees have their driving licences checked and photocopied. Where I work they do it every six months without fail. Also, I believe that all professional drivers are supposed to carry their licence with them at all times.

Everybody is supposed to carry their licence with them at all times.

But, we’re given a producer which gives us 7 days to produce our licence at a police station.

That’s the same whether in car, driving truck, bus or on motorbike.

I carry my licence all the time, it’s in my wallet and I’ve often had to use it as id at ports etc, but I’ve also lost my wallet and in that it had my bank cards, licence, digi tacho, rhides card, dcpc card etc etc etc… Luckily it was handed in to the police station, so I can understand why people don’t want to carry it.

But, not carrying it is completely different from not producing it.

All licenses, insurance and MOT can be checked on a central database instantly by the police, do they still issue the ‘producers’ any longer ?