Drivers hours

msp:
Correct me if I am wrong but after 6 hours of work minimum 30 min of break must be taken or 45 minutes after 4.30 min of driving. Usually it would be common sense to take 45 min break after 6 hours of work so you can reset your driving time as well.
Anyway that’s what they told us on the tachograph & working regulations course.

I’m sorry but they told you wrong, if this was a DCPC course, I’m afraid it seems to be quite common for trainers to tell people that they need to take a 30 minute break at or before 6 hours, but it’s wrong.

The regulations don’t actually stipulate a duration of time for the 6 hour rule break, so as a break of 15 minutes is the shortest break that can count for the WTD that’s assumed to be the break that’s required.

tachograph:

msp:
Correct me if I am wrong but after 6 hours of work minimum 30 min of break must be taken or 45 minutes after 4.30 min of driving. Usually it would be common sense to take 45 min break after 6 hours of work so you can reset your driving time as well.

I’m sorry but they told you wrong, if this was a DCPC course, I’m afraid it seems to be quite common for trainers to tell people that they need to take a 30 minute break at or before 6 hours, but it’s wrong.

The regulations don’t actually stipulate a duration of time for the 6 hour rule break, so as a break of 15 minutes is the shortest break that can count for the WTD that’s assumed to be the break that’s required.

Not sure if its wrong but that’s how companies like Stobart, Sainsburys and Musgrave operates.
30 min break after 6 hours and 50 (45) min after 4.30 driving. or 30 min after 6 hours and then another 30 min down the road after 4.30 of driving.

But according to Gov website I see no 15 min break ever mention on working regulation but a 20 min and 30 min for youngsters. see link below
gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/types-of-break
employmentrights.ie/en/infor … kinghours/

msp:

tachograph:

msp:

Not sure if its wrong but that’s how companies like Stobart, Sainsburys and Musgrave operates.
30 min break after 6 hours and 50 (45) min after 4.30 driving. or 30 min after 6 hours and then another 30 min down the road after 4.30 of driving.

But according to Gov website I see no 15 min break ever mention on working regulation but a 20 min and 30 min for youngsters. see link below

You are looking at the normal WTD where you should be looking at the RT(WT)D or RTD

There is a sticky in the safety and law forum which explains the breaks for the RTD

Some companies have added their own break policies which extend the minimum 15 mins to 30 so that could be why some confusion is around this issue - many of those companies have mis-read the rules and made policies to that end

msp:

tachograph:

msp:

As Rog has said, you’re looking at the ‘wrong’ working time directive. Those regs are for ‘fixed location’ workers and don’t apply to us. We are covered by the WTD for mobile workers, the Road Transport Directive which has different rules.

As for various blue chip companies telling you it’s 30 mins at 6 hours, they are either misinformed (most companies are, along with most DCPC trainers rather shockingly :open_mouth: ) or that is an in-house ‘rule’ that they want you to abide by. There is no such RTD rule that requires a 30 min break at your 6 hour mark. The myth has come about because of poor wording of the RTD rules. If interested, further reading in this thread with official links to read etc.

msp:

I can’t answer for those companies but I can tell you that I’ve never had an infringement for having a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time, and there’s nothing in the regulations that requires a 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours.

Have a read of this thread, and this post.

Here’s a link to the breaks section of the RT(WT)R 2005

I think ye all should work harder and get 4.5 hours driving done in less than 6 hours, have your 45 min break and then you wouldn’t have to worry about this 6 hour rule at all! ( said with tongue placed firmly in cheek)

kitbuilder123:
I think ye all should work harder and get 4.5 hours driving done in less than 6 hours, have your 45 min break and then you wouldn’t have to worry about this 6 hour rule at all! ( said with tongue placed firmly in cheek)

Might not work if there is more than 6 hours of work with no breaks after that 45 break

Many drivers fall foul of the 6 hour work rule on the back half of a shift

It’s worrying that drivers are being mis-informed on RTWTR breaks on DCPC courses - if indeed they are, or maybe sometimes a case of ‘selective hearing’ during DCPC sessions.

It’s also worrying that drivers don’t know or understand the basic Drivers’ Hours and Working Time Directive rules…

I’m not a great fan of Driver Hire but they do produce some good resources and guidance notes such as this on RTWTR.

driverhire.co.uk/Resources/RTWTR/

Easy to understand, explains all the breaks/limits etc. Some good FAQ’s & easy to read bullet points. It also covers the Drivers’ Hours basic requirements.

Check it out, I find it better than the VOSA guidance.

There is a possibility that you may be subject to domestic regs and may only need to use a logbook.
You may also be exempt from record keeping alltogether if your driving time is less than 4 hours per day and you do not drive more than a 50km radius from base.
and who would know how many hours driving you did if you didn’t keep a record. :wink: :smiley:

Daz1970:
I’m not a great fan of Driver Hire but they do produce some good resources and guidance notes such as this on RTWTR.

Easy to understand, explains all the breaks/limits etc. Some good FAQ’s & easy to read bullet points. It also covers the Drivers’ Hours basic requirements.

Where in that link does it explain the 6 hour rule?

Rog

I think this covers it…
From Section 11 Rest & Breaks

The Regulations impose additional break requirements:

Not to work more than 6 hours without a break
If working time is between 6 and 9 hours per day then breaks amounting to at least 30 minutes must be taken
If working time exceeds 9 hours per day then breaks amounting to at least 45 minutes must be taken
Breaks must be no less than 15 minutes in duration

Daz1970:
Rog

I think this covers it…
From Section 11 Rest & Breaks

The Regulations impose additional break requirements:

If working time is between 6 and 9 hours per day then breaks amounting to at least 30 minutes must be taken
If working time exceeds 9 hours per day then breaks amounting to at least 45 minutes must be taken

Excuse me whilst I take a trip to specsavers :laughing: :blush:

Daz1970:
It’s worrying that drivers are being mis-informed on RTWTR breaks on DCPC courses - if indeed they are, or maybe sometimes a case of ‘selective hearing’ during DCPC sessions.

It’s also worrying that drivers don’t know or understand the basic Drivers’ Hours and Working Time Directive rules…

Thanks for the link, and in that RT(WT)R I see again 30 min break after 6 hours of work. (providing you going to be working 9 hours or more in that day) In the section 11. Rest and Breaks

msp:
Thanks for the link, and in that RT(WT)R I see again 30 min break after 6 hours of work. (providing you going to be working 9 hours or more in that day) In the section 11. Rest and Breaks

Yes but that’s not the 6 hour rule, see the links posted earlier in the thread :wink:

tachograph:

msp:

I can’t answer for those companies but I can tell you that I’ve never had an infringement for having a 15 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time, and there’s nothing in the regulations that requires a 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours.

Hi Tachograph, the link you gave is actually prove that you are entitle to 30 min break after 6 hours of work.

it says

Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

msp:

tachograph:

msp:

Hi Tachograph, the link you gave is actually prove that you are entitle to 30 min break after 6 hours of work.

The link shows that if your working time is between 6 and 9 hours you should have a break of at-least 30 minutes during the shift, that break can be split into two separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.

Nowhere in the regulations does it say that you have to have the whole 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

The regulations only stipulate that a break must be taken before exceeding 6 hours working time.

^^^ +1, Correct…it says breaks to be minimum of 15 minutes duration so after 6 hours work (maximum) at least a 15 minute break must happen…followed by a further 15 mins BEFORE 9 hours work has taken place = 30 minutes. Breaks must be taken in between work i.e. not at the start or end of a shift, so some other work or driving must take place after the break period.

tachograph:

msp:

tachograph:

msp:

The link shows that if your working time is between 6 and 9 hours you should have a break of at-least 30 minutes during the shift, that break can be split into two separate breaks of at-least 15 minutes each.

Nowhere in the regulations does it say that you have to have the whole 30 minute break before exceeding 6 hours working time.

The regulations only stipulate that a break must be taken before exceeding 6 hours working time.

working rules says:

#2. Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

3 Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.

and # 4 Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…

It looks clear that if you take 6 hours of work you are entitle to 30 min break.
If you continue further and work for more than 9 hours you are entitle to another 15 minutes break.

And according to #4 you might spit your break to 15 min each. For example you work 4 hours you take 15 minutes break and then work another 2 hours (total 6) and take another 15 minutes break. So total 30 min break in the 6 hours period.