Drivers favourite roadside Pubs of Yesteryear

Prior to the “breathyliser” appearing in the later 60’s there was any number of roadside pubs that were popular with distance drivers,usually where there was a bit of parking.I recall the Victoria Tavern by the railway bridge in Kendal was a regular stop for many drivers,also the Plough Inn at Selside on the A6 north of Kendal.And Stonebeck Inn just north of Penrith on the old A6 was very well patronised by drivers en-route for Shap or Stainmore,as well as the Scots contingent heading both up and down the way :unamused: .Two or three,or more,pints never bothered those boys,nor did they end up in lumber either ! :wink: Bewick.

Well in the 50/60s Era, The Coach & Horses just north of Thinford Co Durham AKA Jack Taylors in those days was a very popular spot for drivers heading south especialy on a Sunday on there way to London , Sometimes they woke up in their cabs on the following Monday morning still on the pub car park, Oh dear Oh dear, But the just fired up & carried on & got the job done, But suffered in the long run with headaches, & Of course having to tell a few porkies, But that was their way of life in those days, The next stop would be the Tally Ho just past the Red House Café heading into Doncaster, Another fave watering hole, Then much further south still on the old A1, The Woolpack at Sawtrey Fen, Just past Radcliffes Recovery Garage, I can tell a few old stories about that place I may say, Long gone happy days in the haulage game when it was a pleasure to be part of it, Regards Larry.

Of course that was the old A 1, There was plenty of other watering holes for Ex, The Bedale Hunt, Now long gone, Then on the old A62, heading towards Manchester, through Huddersfield, The Old Spotted Cow , Long Gone, The Kirkgate ■■?, Then up the old Standedge , The Great Western & of course the old Floating Light just over the top before dropping down towards the Horse & Jockey, Those were very happy days when I was a young lad learning the job, But I must say I was taught by the very best old time drivers in those good old days, & Sadley to I don’t think there is any of them left, Regards Larry.

Larry the Floating Light is now a private House
The Floating Light House.jpg
And this is the Horse & Jockey in its present state.

I remember during the 70s our drivers used to park on the Riverside at Stockton and used a pub called the Blue Post it seemed to be a favorite with them after loading at ICI Billingham.

Hi, Red Lion at Harpole, Northampton, was a good handy watering hole before it got too commercial.
Les.

Two of my favourites were the small pub at Low Hesket on the A6 and the little pub at Scremerston on the A1. Although my dads pub must have been a favourite for the old hands running from the fish and fruit markets in Hull, our car park was full every night and stunk of fishy water from the ice filled boxes.

The old Orange Tree in Pleck road was well used too :stuck_out_tongue:

Red Moss was also well used and was like my second home for a couple of years

Bringing the tone down a little
Red Lion Aldgate East
Fleetwood Arms Fleetwod
Juniper Berry Southampton.

Three Cups Chelmsford Friday Night Country & Western
A pub in Pocklington where I had my best pint of Magnet
One in Launston where I beat the darts captain at his own game.
Newmarket and St Neots.

The list is endless. The routine was park up, Pub clothes on, check who else was going and set off. No in cab TV or Lappy to be seen. :laughing: If on my own I’d walk in a straight line until I found a pub, I could always find my way back then, if I turned the right way on leaving the pub.

Some pubs I found were strict;y one pinters and make a discrete exit but not that many. I walked into an Irish pub once in Newark where my appearance turned the atmosphere frosty until I mentioned I was from Cheltenham (slight geographical error) after which it was horse racing a Guinness all round.

The imperial inn Banbridge Ulster,used tae park at the leisure centre for a swim /park or at the big carpark.
at least twice a week,got to the stage the boss man used to leave messages behind the bar for us :unamused:
Robinsons bar in larne on a sat/sun night weekended…not good 3 drivers each drinking vodka,gin,bacardi with table service just pick a glass from the tray,fell down the stairs more than once. :open_mouth:
was one in Torry (Aberdeen) just up from the parking on the docks wi sawdust on the floor ae the porters wi blood on the overalls,a real mans no nonsense bar…i walked in the door every one turned round and stopped talking lol…after ordering a half &a half folk started talking again another driver walked in an asked what food they had the barman told him its a ***** bar buy a drink or *** off.(pleased he asked as i was hungry myself) :laughing: :laughing:
jimmy

You are right about the Juniper Berry, Ted. That was a real laugh especially when there were Union Castle boats in the port!

But even going there might have given people the wrong impression about you!

David

lespullan:
Hi, Red Lion at Harpole, Northampton, was a good handy watering hole before it got too commercial.
Les.

I remember that raven they had near the bar , fleas flying round the cage all night.the new owners now are indians and they serve very nice curries.

The Boot Inn at Grendon on the A5 was popular for Bolton area drivers heading to and from London. Roughly half way between the two. Of course, when the M6 and M1 joined up so no more calling in at The Boot. Last time I went down the A5, a couple of years ago, it was still there and open.

David Miller:
You are right about the Juniper Berry, Ted. That was a real laugh especially when there were Union Castle boats in the port!

But even going there might have given people the wrong impression about you!

David

'Twas all part of the craic, the only bad pub was one that was closed. Although there was a driver who had to do a runner out the back of a car at a set of traffic lights after he’d accepted an invite to a ‘party’.

Another I recall was in Hamilton, a bit of a walk from the services, the WALLS were carpeted and the landlady who was about 4’6" ruled with a rod of iron and the voice of a docker. The only other female in the bar was a young lady with her leg in plaster who turned out to be the landlady’s daughter, many a good lock in there. :smiley: :smiley:

Stanfield:
Larry the Floating Light is now a private House1
And this is the Horse & Jockey in its present state.0
I remember during the 70s our drivers used to park on the Riverside at Stockton and used a pub called the Blue Post it seemed to be a favorite with them after loading at ICI Billingham.

And The Floating Light used to be almost directly opposite the now long gone Ma and Pa Johnson’s wood hut transport cafe, one of the finest cafes in all the land.
Came past The Horse and Jockey last week, it never did much trade and now it needs a bulldozer through it, it’s an eyesore.

I could never “get on” with the pubs in Wales, I used to do the refineries in south and west Wales, as soon as you walked in and ordered a pint they started conversing in Welsh.

grumpy old man:
I could never “get on” with the pubs in Wales, I used to do the refineries in south and west Wales, as soon as you walked in and ordered a pint they started conversing in Welsh.

That reminds me of a story that a now Deceased local driver used to tell, he drove for either Toft Brother’s and Tomlinson or Joseph Hoyle at the time (more likely the former) and was nighting out in Llanberis. He was what you might call …fat :wink: …and when he walked into the local Hostelery the locals suddenly reverted to speaking Welsh! Unfortunately for them he had served with the Welsh Fusiliers during the War and spoke a bit of the lingo himself, he realised that he (and his size) was the topic of conversation and after a while rounded on them and gave them a blast in their own language! Suddenly he was everyones mate, he never bought a drink again that evening and whenever he stayed there in the future the drinks were at the bar ready for him, and boy, could he drink! Result!! :sunglasses:

Pete.

Dare I add here that ‘Welsh’ or more correctly Khumric or Coelbren was spoken all over this land a thousand year before ‘English’

the word ‘welsh’ is a Germanic derivative of ‘Stranger’

I’ll get me hat & coat. :smiley:

gingerfold:
The Boot Inn at Grendon on the A5 was popular for Bolton area drivers heading to and from London. Roughly half way between the two. Of course, when the M6 and M1 joined up so no more calling in at The Boot. Last time I went down the A5, a couple of years ago, it was still there and open.

yes ginger still open and doing ok by the looks of it. but the black swan on the other side of the island has been shut down for a couple of years.

I can’t remember the name of the pub I parked up near in Morriston but a Welsh guy in there invited me to listen to the Morriston Male Voice Choir rehearsing. What a gob-smacking, awesome night that was and what a friendly bunch of people.
There was a skittles alley in the Red Lion Northampton and you went back to your cab with your ears ringing.
Molly Malone’s in Dublin and Addison Lodge were the favourite boozers with the Barque Kitchen on the Liffey and Murphy’s? opposite Canal St if you were loading beef. Take your pick in Covent Garden - at 6-00 am and the Pied de Cochon in Aux Halles if you had just unloaded lambs from Locherbie or Galashiels. Bobby Moore owned a wine bar about 15 min walk from Spitalfield - the girls in there were top totty or in the opposite direction Dirty Dicks cellar bar near Liverpool St. station. I even had nights out at Red Lodge rather than go another 20 miles home. Jim

Wheel Nut:
Two of my favourites were the small pub at Low Hesket on the A6 and the little pub at Scremerston on the A1. Although my dads pub must have been a favourite for the old hands running from the fish and fruit markets in Hull, our car park was full every night and stunk of fishy water from the ice filled boxes.

The old Orange Tree in Pleck road was well used too :stuck_out_tongue:

Red Moss was also well used and was like my second home for a couple of years

Would they be the Cross Keys at Low Hesket and the Miners Arms at Scremerston.

Ben

Hi everyone, I too remember the Tally Ho on the old A1 at Doncaster Lawrence, myself and another lad were crewing on Elliotts crew cabbed S20 Foden with an abnormal load and we had to wait near by for a Police ■■■■■■ to take us through Doncaster.
The driver Arthur Barker decided to take part in a liquid lunch whilst waiting for the law to arrive which they did a couple of hours later, and Arthur the worse for ware ! I was 16 & John the other mate was 17, had to practically carry Arthur from the pub so we “poured” him into the back cab of the Foden & John took the wheel as we took the abnormal load through Doncaster ! Ha ha there was a couple of raised eyebrows from the bobbies but that was all ! We parked up at Bythe hilltop for the night & John & I fiddeled home to York. Next morning Arthur who had spent the night in the cab was waiting for us with a couple of bacon sarnies & we just carried on nowt said ! :smiley:
Regards Tony H.

zzarbean:
Dare I add here that ‘Welsh’ or more correctly Khumric or Coelbren was spoken all over this land a thousand year before ‘English’

the word ‘welsh’ is a Germanic derivative of ‘Stranger’

I’ll get me hat & coat. :smiley:

If I were you I’d forget yer hat & borrow yer granddad’s tin helmet! They won’t be keeping a welcome in the hillsides for you, butty. :wink: