drivers diet

this is probably a long shot a many already know the answer but are there anydrivers on here that are diet aware when “trucking” i would lke to eat far more healthier and more nutritional meals but keep being persuaded by the convenience excuse.is there such a thing when driving as i dont want to be having a massive cook up in the cab…so the ultimate question can you eat healthy nutritinal meals with convienience? If so how and what?

Many thanks

Luke…where are you can you come to the forum please…luke :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Seriously Switchlogics the man to ask by all accounts hes a regular masterchef.

Ey up neighbour. Livin in soton my self… Keep fruit in the lorry n throw out all ypur fizzy drinks n sweets if you have any… I have a apple for break fast then maybe a light sandwhich for lunch and a something big for dinner… No snacks during the day or inbetween the meals. Just managed to get the hang of it though.

Pasta takes 15mins to cook and tuna 0 minutes to cook, add some worcester sauce and your good to go.
Beans on toast is ■■■■ easy to cook as well

breakfast. strong coffee, a banana, and nibble some fruit in between smoking.
lunch. strong coffee, bacon and eggs.
dinner. strong coffee, canned stew, chilli, or curry. usually with about 3 slices of bread.

and to drink throughout the day is water, and espressos.

I take a pack up with me. Cheap and healthy. Go to gym most night and on rest days I swim 2 miles a day in local pool then do 3 hour in gym each rest day.

Sent from my Satellite phone using Tapatalk.

New potatoes boil for 6 mins. After 4 mins throw in mixed veg (canned) Leave in water to keep warm whilst flash frying a steak.

Pasta boil for 12 mins. Whilst boiling have a sauce in a pan on top so its heating up from the steam of the pasta pan. when pasta is cooked toss into sauce to coat pasta.

Boil in bag rice, boil for 14 mins. Put curry sauce in pan on top of rice pan to heat. Throw in tuna chunks at the last minute to heat in the sauce.

I also at weekends cook stews in a slow cooker for 8-10 hours to tenderise the stewing steak then divide into 2 portions into tupperware tubs then freeze. Monday morning take one of these to work and let them slowley defrost in the fridge untill required. I also do this to bolognaise sauce and also home made chicken curry.

When I was on for Heritage, i was channel hopping, I was on a boat virtually everyday going one way or the other.
I was doing the simple things like asking for a poached egg instead of fried, limiting myself to chips only once a week (P&O steak n chips used to be my Friday treat). On the road - grapes instead of wine gums, a carrot instead of a bag of crisps.
I was fortunate to keep the same trailer so I kept my bike in the pallet locker underneath. Go for a bike ride or walk when your parked up. Park as far away from buildings as you can so you have to walk a bit. Works canteens at your load / tip generally provide better quality and healthier food (and usually alot cheaper) than the motorway muck. Pasta salads are dead easy to knock up, and fill you up as well.

Swap the fizzy drink for water, and drink at least a pint of water before every meal - you won’t eat as much.

In general Eat less, move more! :wink:

All good advice ^^^^ I keep dried fruit and things like almonds in the cab for nibbles. I limit myself to 1 can of pop a day. Where possible go for rice or salad with a meal. I rarely cook but pasta os quick and easy. You can cook it in the day, cut up some ham and bits n bobs to chuck in it and munch it later. Also timing is everything. I try to eat well before I go to bed so it doesn’t sit onto you. I often eat then do another hour or so, then have a brew when I park up and a quick stretch/walk before bed.
Also walk as far as you can i.e. park furthest away from the services or goods in etc every bit helps :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hullo Jimmy,
It’ s sometimes as you say a bit difficult in this modern fat gobbling society that we are surrounded by these days, but try this for a week or three and see how you get along. Each morning boil yourself some Jumbo Oats, don’t over boil, just enough to soften them, no milk or sugar, just plain agua, and serve with a spoonful of Honey. A glass of lite milk, and or a glass of real orange juice. Mid morning try an apple and a banana, Mid day, something like sardines in Brine with a couple of slices of crisp bread, plain of course. A glass of fruit juice. Mid afternoon take some more fruit, then in the Evening, a good large salad with plenty of Iceberg Lettuce, Cherry Tomatoes, Cucumber, Sliced Onion, and Garlic, Season with a drop of Balsamic Vinegar and a Tablespoon (or two) of Virgin Olive Oil. Serve this with either a couple of slices of Boiled Ham (without the fat), or a tin of Tuna in Brine ( pour the brine away). Try this with one small brown bread Roll and a couple of small glasses of Red Wine. During the day also try to drink plenty of Water (not fizzy). I think that you will find that this type of eating will do you more good than harm. Also don’t just sit in the Cab ■■■■■■ about with a Computer, get out walk about a bit, jump up and down, do some skipping, do anything, but don’t just sit there and seize yourself up. I have noticed that when I am back in the UK during the Summer, ( I always do a bit of Temporary Work) that today’s Drivers never get out to chat any more, never walk about or do anything else but sit in their Cab’s on a Computer, Gameboy, or just Sleeping. Change in times I suppose. Anyway I hope that this helps you, if not it doesn’t matter, but that’s how I eat when on the road.
Cheers, Archie.

becouse to many drivers to laze.like just run to Macdonald or … can make some food easy and more cheap,and more quality.laze driver can see any country of the world.

Breakfast 3 weetabix

snacks grapes,apples,oranges. fruit bars just make sure they are low cal. the ones i get from aldi are 65 calories and make sure you only have one.

Lunch 2 slices of multigrain bread with cold meats. couple of savoury rice crackers and a fat free pro biotic yogurt.
Snacks fruit again.

Dinner. nothing tinned, fresh green beans,shallots, garlic, carrots etc
get a wok and stir fry lean pork or chicken mix in veg and add a small packet sauce like chow mein, oyster and spring onion or garlic and ginger cook it for a few minutes then get either micro boiled rice or fresh noodles and stir in.

Dessert, natural yogurt with a teaspoon of honey drizzled on top.

I also cook indian, but only once a week as the sauces are quite high in fat.

I cook Thai alot as my wife is Thai and a chef so have learnt some lovely thai meals like pad ka pow, pad nam prig. Again green or red curry once a week as a treat because of the coconut milk used.

Alot of the drivers i work with reckon i should write a cab cookbook. I always cook never eat after 7pm even if that means cooking dinner during a 45 break.

weetabix for breakfast normaly soup for dinner then anything from spag bol chilli fresh homemade curry cajiun chicken for my tea i cook everything at home freeze it and it defrosts through the week in my fridge

this is harry monk. :laughing: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=h-z5T8meC84

Sawadee Krup Hugh,
That sounds to be just great mate, sounds like you have a Raan Khaao Gaaeng. Where are you parking in April, I will be round with a bottle of Chang to join you. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Sa. Wat Dee, Archie.

Guys once again overwhelmed with the advice im not that bad when on the road if anythin g im better i dont drink fizzies or have mich crap my daily food routine would be cuppa in the morning around 10am bowl of muesli ariund 1pm 4 sandwich halves and a yoghurt and if outon the road chicken in white sauce with rice, i just wondered how people get veg into a cab mans diet i defo need to get more fruit into my diet but apples are the only thing i eat im wanting to lose a bit of weight im not fat but just want to lose a few pounds for summer but im well aware that you need to eat calories to burn calories and i feel my current diet is nit very high in calories wellbelow a healthy burn rate. maybe im expecting too much as im away 3 nigts aweek and after a 10/12 hour shift thenlast thing i want to do is go to a gym…

A good easy diet to follow is slimming world. Im on it, and lost 3 stone in 5 months so far. No calorie counting or points like other diets (only stuff like beer, sweets, pies, sausages etc have points, but you can save up points for a big meal out or boozy weekend or even the mcdonalds if you have no choice for example). Basically theres 3 groups of food: superfree, free and healthy extras. You can eat as much superfree and free foods as you like - stuff like fruit, veg, meats (though no skin on chicken and cut fat off meat before cooking), rice, pastas etc and the healthy extras are things like milk, cheese, bread and so on, these you can only have limited amounts of per day. Earlier I had a bbq with steaks, sausages, bacon, chicken etc, and only used 6 points (sausages and ketchup). Theres 3 variations on the diet as well, Green for vegetarians, Red for meat lovers and Orange which is an easy mix of both, and you can mix the three types up during the week.
I go to a group each week, although you can do it online (im sure theres places where you can get hold of the plan details for free also), and a lot of the recipes can be easily made with limited cooking equipment, the curries are gorgeous. Ive tried other diets before but this one fits in easy with the job, its worth a look.

Charliebear that sounds like a good diet…maybe i should look into that but isnt it just for housewives lol

try the dukan diet my other half is on it and the weight is dropping off her basicly its all meat first week second week meet and veg then back to same as week 1 ud have to google it for full details but the results are great and its all proper food
having said that deiting is great but a decent workout does wonders for you

Full fry up on a dry griddle keeps you you going untill evening :stuck_out_tongue: also good strong coffee to start

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express