drivers diet

Good grief non the wonder you all have guts the size of a small country> Breakfast lunch and dinner and sitting around all day. Simple eat less live longer and forget being cab gourmets, cut out the bad carbs and stay of processed food as much as possible and no sugary drinks or trash like crisps or other things high in salt like HAM and TINNED CHILLI.

jimmypk:
this is probably a long shot a many already know the answer but are there anydrivers on here that are diet aware when “trucking” i would lke to eat far more healthier and more nutritional meals but keep being persuaded by the convenience excuse.is there such a thing when driving as i dont want to be having a massive cook up in the cab…so the ultimate question can you eat healthy nutritinal meals with convienience? If so how and what?

Many thanks

me too
T-Bone Steak,Wiener Schnitzel,Beef Stroganoff and all that Healthy Diet

as above to be honest
try to avoid dried fruits as they are far higher in sugars than fresh
drink water rather than fizzy drinks whether sugar free or not water hydrates and will make you feel fuller, snack wise eat stuff like carrot sticks coconut things that require you to chew a bit!
meals could be made simple as other have suggested if you have a fridge rice chicken pasta dont take very longto boil or cook plenty of low fat sauces out there to throw in or add tinned tomatoes etc.
and again as other have suggested go for the lower fat or healthier options veg instead of chips etc
if you really struggle make some meal cards to follow include snacks eat regular and small amounts rather than the 3 meals per day if time allows.

and finally exercise! even go for a walk round the services if nothing else!

My biggest tip is forget diets. Change your lifestyle. A diet is temporary. Also I admire the chaps that can live on dry crisp breads, tins of tuna and salads for tea but that would do my mental health no end of damage.

As for oldsids advice ignore some of it. Don’t cook in cab and avoid processed foods? Cooking in the cab over is the easiest way to cut down on processed food. Also eat little and often, although I’m guilty of failing that front. So how do you do it oldsid if you avoid processed foods but don’t cook for yourself?

Basically what I’m trying to say is what ever you do your change in diet has to be sustainable for you. There’s no point in eating super healthily if you give up after a month. Lots of small changes is the key. One example with me is I don’t really eat bread anymore simply because my love of butter was making me fat! And no bread no butter. I’ve lost half a stone in 6 months from just easy little changes like that.

switchlogic:
My biggest tip is forget diets. Change your lifestyle. A diet is temporary. Also I admire the chaps that can live on dry crisp breads, tins of tuna and salads for tea but that would do my mental health no end of damage.

As for oldsids advice ignore some of it. Don’t cook in cab and avoid processed foods? Cooking in the cab over is the easiest way to cut down on processed food. Also eat little and often, although I’m guilty of failing that front. So how do you do it oldsid if you avoid processed foods but don’t cook for yourself?

Basically what I’m trying to say is what ever you do your change in diet has to be sustainable for you. There’s no point in eating super healthily if you give up after a month. Lots of small changes is the key. One example with me is I don’t really eat bread anymore simply because my love of butter was making me fat! And no bread no butter. I’ve lost half a stone in 6 months from just easy little changes like that.

Hello Luke, Lets start by saying I have great respect for your adventures and scribblings but you have made ana suumption, and for a leagl eagle in the making thats not good. I didnt say dont cook in the cab just forget being gormet cooks!! there is a difference. My advice on low salt good carbs and just plain reducing intake works.
I,m no angel and have only recently embarked on a reduced intake diet as I was 16.5 stones. My weakness is homemade bread and butter too so its not easy unless you have good willpower or health warnings raising their heads. I know the temptations when youre stuck and tired and theres nothing but chips and a lovely pie waiting just a few yards away in the cafe. However anyone deluding themselves by thinking a tin of Chilli or ham of anysort is a healthier option is kidding themselves.

Keep the videos coming and keep up with the studies, and put that bag of crisps down!

[ notso ] Oldsid

Ah ok fair enough I read it as don’t cook in the cab. Your are indeed correct you can eat perfectly simply and healthily without being elaborate. In fact despite the cooking vids I generally cook really really simple stuff.

Oh and it’s good to see I’m not the only one with a bread and butter problem!

switchlogic:
Ah ok fair enough I read it as don’t cook in the cab. Your are indeed correct you can eat perfectly simply and healthily without being elaborate. In fact despite the cooking vids I generally cook really really simple stuff.

Oh and it’s good to see I’m not the only one with a bread and butter problem!

bread is the devil to me too that and beer id have 2 bottles a night maybe when i was away and it just ends up sitting on you so packed it in have not lost any weight but dont seem to be piling it on either

Choose from this Group
Cereal Food
Wholemeal Flour,Outmeal,Whole Grain,PorridgeRye Bread,Brown Rice,
all fresh,frozzen,and dried Fruit&Vegetables,Baked Potatoes (eat Skin),tofu
Chesnuts
allfresh and frozzen fish
chicken,turkey,veal,rabbit,game,soya protein,meat substitute,very lean red meat
skimmed milk,soya milk,cottage cheese,low fat cheese,low fat yogurt
small amount oil and fat only
jelly,sorbet,fat free home made soup
freshly made tea,coffee,mineral water,fruit juice
herbs,spices,garlic,pepper
Eat in Moderation 2-3 Times a Week
white bread,white flour
olives,avocado
walnuts,pinenuts
fish fried,fish fingers,fish cake,
lean beef,pork,ham
semmi skimmed milk,cakes
olive oil,■■■■ seed oil
home made pastry,pudding,biscuit
jam,marmelade,
alcohol
salad dressing
Eat in Moderation once a Week
sugar coated cerealsordinary muesli
fruit in sirup,chips,roast potatoes,haselnuts,brasil nuts,pistachio
prawns,lobster,crab,oyster,smoked fish
liver,kitney,duck
edam,camembert,gauda
margarine,sun flower oil
non-dairy ice cream
boiled sweets,peanut butter
sweetened drinks,hot chockolat
parmesan
Avoid Eating
sweat cakes
deep-fat-fried,
cocanut,cashew
fish roe,fried scampi
sausage,corned beef,pate,salami,
whole milk,full-fat yogurt
all sweet desserts
high salt intake,

switchlogic:

that is it,but if you already Fat does it not do without Diet.
When you getin in Age you also may get diabetes and other which kepps you running on Diet.
But you are right.Park as far away from Truckstop you can and walk a bit,order just a normal Portion and finish when it starts tasting best,and get you a hobby to keep your Mind active

jimmypk:
Charliebear that sounds like a good diet…maybe i should look into that but isnt it just for housewives lol

theres a lot of housewives at the group i go to, but dont let it put you off (it probably wont, depends on the group :laughing: ). It does help you change your eating habits as well, I would say its more of a lifestyle change really. Most weeks i lose 2 to 3 pounds, most i’ve lost in a week was 8 & 1/2! Exercise helps to lose the inches, not necessarily the pounds although with slimming world it can give it a boost although you dont have to exercise to lose weight, but it will help to lose the flat tyres :laughing: .
You do find that you eat more, but that is because you are eating high density, low energy foods - they fill you up but your body digests and burns off the calories quickly. I tend to take a few apples, bananas, a salad (with pasta or cous cous and chicken) and drink (diet coke is my favourite, but i take a bottle of water as well) with me to work, I have the fruit between breaks and the salad when im on a break. If you like fizzy drinks or redbull, just make sure its sugar free.

charliebear:
You do find that you eat more, but that is because you are eating high density, low energy foods - they fill you up but your body digests and burns off the calories quickly. I tend to take a few apples, bananas, a salad (with pasta or cous cous and chicken) and drink (diet coke is my favourite, but i take a bottle of water as well) with me to work, I have the fruit between breaks and the salad when im on a break. If you like fizzy drinks or redbull, just make sure its sugar free.

Apple have 45 Calory and Banana 100,but Banana have lots as Sugar.
Coca Cola.Hmm,… My faforite is the Zero,but Doc says No Fizzy drink.i ignore them,but now comming Friday im in Hospital for treatment as you get more likely Stones in Kidney and Blather from Acid drinks.
gives me a Day off
So i say OK,i change to Mineral water.
Thats good,says the Doc,but why not do you yourself any good and use tap water.Just from home.
mineral water is healthy,but not for every Day in our Job.

Immigrant:

charliebear:

Coca Cola.Hmm,… My faforite is the Zero,but Doc says No Fizzy drink.i ignore them,but now comming Friday im in Hospital for treatment as you get more likely Stones in Kidney and Blather from Acid drinks.
gives me a Day off
So i say OK,i change to Mineral water.
Thats good,says the Doc,but why not do you yourself any good and use tap water.Just from home.
mineral water is healthy,but not for every Day in our Job.

I usually buy a bottle or two of water and just refill it from the tap when its empty. Tastes the same to me, and saves a few quid.
The diet im on works for me, its a low food density diet apparently. Basically the foods you can eat loads of contain lots of fibre and not many calories, so energy is burnt digesting the food.
Best thing to do is have something to eat as soon as you can in the morning, it will get your metabolism going and eating small portions regularly will help keep your metabolism rate high so in turn helping to burn off the excess.

Immigrant:

Listened to a food podcast last week that was saying that counting calories in things like apples and bananas is insane and part of the problem with the dieting industry.

DO NOT EAT BREAD!!! Eat plenty of fruit, tin of healthy option beans for lunch and a Knorr soup for tea,also dutch melba toast with the beans and if you have a good imagination its like having fried bread !!

Just cut out fat fullstop and always go for the low cal option.

As Luke said you need to change your lifestyle or you WILL put all the weight back on. Take up an active hobby, like walking or such like, I play Rugby and ref rugby so at the weekends I am fairly active…Last weekend I did a 3 mile run with a 44lb rucksac on for Sport relief…(35 mins)

Also its a good idea to tell your self if you havent eaten by 6 then tuff luck, you go hungry.
I also play a game with myself, I go into the MSA and walk past the KFC Burger king and all the sweets, and walk out without buying anything, this does give me some sort of peverse Buzz…But i am strange…lol

The warm weather is here, Spring is in the air and all the girls are showing off their belly button…

Hi luke, if you dont mind me asking what simple things do you eat? All i seem to have is rice with chicken in white sauce, any ideas from any one would be greatly appreciated

When you at home prepare some meals you can take ( ok will only last a day or 2 poss more if frozen )

I have been doing the “clean eating” eat as much fresh fruit & veg as you like no bread or pasta ( or wheat ) eat plenty chicken fish eggs bottled water green tea or other herbal tea no coffee thick greek style yoghurt none of this low fat / sugar stuff

You can have 1 “cheat meal” per week but has to be eaten within the hr also plenty of excise

Ok this is not fro everyone but yep I have lost weight with it & feel much healthier & fitter I have found it easy

All you have to have is a bit of imagination & think what you can eat / cook easy

jimmypk:
Hi luke, if you dont mind me asking what simple things do you eat? All i seem to have is rice with chicken in white sauce, any ideas from any one would be greatly appreciated

Pork chops with mash, fresh mash in pots can be warmed through in the pan. Steaks. Pasta with tomato sauce. Stuff like that. I do eat a lot of meat, fry it dry both for your health and the interior of the truck!

it doesnt matter what you eat its what you burn off a body uses on average 2500 calories to run per day if you exercise this can increase obviously eating healthy is the answer think of your body like an old steam engine if you shove a load of coal in it will reduce the flames and take ages to burn up if you put too little in it wont go so you put coal in often to keep the engine running at peak your body is exactly the same if you eat little and often it will burn calories off better than starving all day then eating a big meal at the end! starving makes your body go into starvation mode so its stores any fat you have. eat healthy drink water (water makes you feel fuller) eat small amount several times a day even if its just things like fruit and veg. chew 20 times this releases chemicals in the body too which again will help you to feel fuller. plan a meal beforehand is the best bet as others have said store some in a fridge they will last 5 days away pm me if you really need help would be nice to use some of my degree to help others!

animal:
When you at home prepare some meals you can take ( ok will only last a day or 2 poss more if frozen )

I have been doing the “clean eating” eat as much fresh fruit & veg as you like no bread or pasta ( or wheat ) eat plenty chicken fish eggs bottled water green tea or other herbal tea no coffee thick greek style yoghurt none of this low fat / sugar stuff

You can have 1 “cheat meal” per week but has to be eaten within the hr also plenty of excise

Ok this is not fro everyone but yep I have lost weight with it & feel much healthier & fitter I have found it easy

All you have to have is a bit of imagination & think what you can eat / cook easy

i do the make meals at home thing make a full weeks worth freeze em and they are still fresh come friday :smiley: