Driver two slot

The company i work for has told drivers that from next week, we are starting a new system at work.
this system is in order to reduce waiting time and hopefully speed up the turn-around-time at the main hub.

basically, we drive into the main hub, and we then remove our digital cards and put our cards into the “driver 2” slot to record a break. We then disappear to the canteen to have our 45 min break. the shunter then drives our wagons onto a bay to be unloaded/loaded etc.
when they have finished, they notify us, and we return to our units and after moving the digital card again, we set off.

having not come across this situation before, is this a legitimate request?

I think that the tacho automatically switches driver 2 to PoA when the truck is being moved.

What would be better is to remove the card, keep it on you then when you get back in the truck do a manual entry.

Regardless of what the tacho is set to do, when the ignition is turned on/truck is driven, I would have thought removing the card and a manual entry later is the best way around this. Far less ballache all round.

Conor:
I think that the tacho automatically switches driver 2 to PoA when the truck is being moved.

What would be better is to remove the card, keep it on you then when you get back in the truck do a manual entry.

Exactly ^^

You gotta give them 9 out of 10 for trying!!

The correct answer has already been given. Remove card - manual input after the break. What the company is suggesting will actually cause compliance issues

Also why would you leave your card in a vehicle, regardless of slot, that you don’t have control over? That’s asking for someone with a grudge/too thick to notice, to tamper with your card and ■■■■ it up.

That’s not going to work to save time as you will still need at least a portion of your break when you return to your vehicle. As soon as the vehicle is moved your card in slot 2 will record POA instead of break and it is only in multi-manning operations where the first 45 minutes of POA recorded in slot 2 is assumed to be break.mwhat you are doing doesn’t fall under the multi-manning rules.

Park the vehicle, remove your card and take if with you then return to the vehicle and make a manual entry to account for the time the card was out of the head and show it as break. That’s the legal way of doing it, the other way is just going to attract infringements.

As others have said, easiest way, remove card, manual entry on return.

HOWEVER, 1st 45 mins of POA in slot 2 counts as break anyway, so it wouldn’t matter 1 bit, but it just seems a bloody crazy way to do a simple task

They do this at the aspray24 hub. Stop outside warehouse, take card out and shunters put it in bays etc. Then get back in and manual entry break.

Or leave it in, as removing it during working (unless double manning) can lead to a fine.

Unauthorised withdrawal of record sheet (i.e. tachograph chart) or driver card i.e. - removed during working day
Section 97 (1)(a)(iii) of the Transport Act 1968

waynedl:

HOWEVER, 1st 45 mins of POA in slot 2 counts as break anyway, so it wouldn’t matter 1 bit, but it just seems a bloody crazy way to do a simple task

Only when operating under multi-manning.

waynedl:

Only when multi-manning, this isn’t.

This is what happens when suits have too much time on their hands!

Honked:
Or leave it in, as removing it during working (unless double manning) can lead to a fine.

Unauthorised withdrawal of record sheet (i.e. tachograph chart) or driver card i.e. - removed during working day

Not in this case it won’t, someone else is going to be using the vehicle so the legal option is to remove the card and then make a manual entry to account for the time.

Coffeeholic:

Honked:

Not in this case it won’t, someone else is going to be using the vehicle so the legal option is to remove the card and then make a manual entry to account for the time.

Well they should just buy a truck for the shunter, drop the trailer and let him do his thing. When on a break I may want to get a short nap :wink:

waynedl:

it only counts as break if on poa on double manning duties, he is not double manning, for double manning driver one must be joined by driver two within one hour of driver one starting duties and driver two must insert his/her card in the tacho in either slot depending what duties each driver is performing,
so OP cannot say he is double manning

Honked:

don’t talk rubbish honky, this would mean that no driver could drive two separate vehicles in the same day :smiley: there would also be no need for tachos to have a manual entry function for when the card is not in,

green456:

Honked:

don’t talk rubbish honky, this would mean that no driver could drive two separate vehicles in the same day :smiley: there would also be no need for tachos to have a manual entry function for when the card is not in,

That would be ‘Authorised’ :wink: As above, suits getting in the way of logic and sense. Can’t see how another driver who is driving the same vehicle, can reduce delays. Bad planning and poor management seems to be the culprit here :slight_smile:

Honked:

Coffeeholic:

Honked:

Well they should just buy a truck for the shunter, drop the trailer and let him do his thing. When on a break I may want to get a short nap :wink:

What if it’s class 2 doh lol

Dazza1980:

Honked:

Coffeeholic:

Honked:

What if it’s class 2 doh lol

That’s not a real truck so it won’t count as a valid option :wink: