Driver shortage

Im after some help if possible, I own a small recruitment agency and have the opportunity to gain quite a bit of business but finding available drivers is very difficult in the Cheshire area.

Is there an area in the country that drivers are finding it difficult to gain employment and they may be interested in re-locating if we were to assist them?

Might be a long shot! Just looking at different ideas. Any other ideas of attracting drivers would be appreciated - apart from the obvious…paying higher wages than everyone else!

Thanks

Stand back and wait for it… the comments will be along shortly. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hope you’ve got your tin hat on, a lot of drivers here with generally bad experiences of agencies including me.

There are a couple of things a driver needs from an agency.

A good bottom line on his pay slip / invoice.

A reliable service (no bull about what can and can’t be achieved, no last minute cancellations).

Things resolved quickly when errors are made (cos lets face it none of us are perfect).

If you can achieve those 3 things, you will go a long way to getting a good name and plenty of drivers.

I appreciate that some people have had bad experiences with agencies but I’d like to think that there are good and bad agencies just as there are good and bad drivers.

As I said, I am finding it difficult to recruit drivers and so any drivers working for us can be assured of a pleasant experience, we are honest and can guarantee work and hopefully they will stay with us for the long term and maybe introduce further drivers to us.

Why not pay more than everyone else? Especially if relocating! :unamused:
Driver shortage you say needsdrivers? Maybe a shortage of experienced drivers.(2 years exp) :grimacing: And they don’t come cheap! Get yourself a few Polish! They’ll make you rich. :laughing:

Good Luck with that! :laughing:

Can you not just give the name of the company who has the jobs so that experienced drivers can apply. Or is it the usual reason for using an agency to get a short term expendable workforce. Who would relocate for that. Middle men in the labour market should be illegal.

Need Drivers:
I’m after some help if possible. I own a small recruitment agency and have the opportunity to gain quite a bit of business but finding available drivers is very difficult in the Cheshire area.

The responsibility for the current driver shortage falls directly onto the shoulders of most Driver Recruitment Agencies.

Agencies always fight each other for a bigger market share. To do this, they simply stagnate the money paid to the driver or even cut it.

I know of several companies where an Agency Driver is being paid the same money today as he was receiving 10 years ago and doing exactly the same job. In some cases the money is even less than it was in 2002.

Drivers can only put up with this for so long. They can’t keep banging in 60+ hour weeks and nights away in order to get a decent pay packet - their body & mind can only take so much.

Eventually they put two fingers up to the Agency - and then walk away from the Industry.

Just curious… No plans of relocating.

Who are your main contracts with?

What is your average rates for 7.5t C and CE.

Thought it might help for anyone thinking of taking your offer up.

Needdrivers:
Im after some help if possible, I own a small recruitment agency and have the opportunity to gain quite a bit of business but finding available drivers is very difficult in the Cheshire area.

Is there an area in the country that drivers are finding it difficult to gain employment and they may be interested in re-locating if we were to assist them?

Might be a long shot! Just looking at different ideas. Any other ideas of attracting drivers would be appreciated - apart from the obvious…paying higher wages than everyone else!

Thanks

Speaking as a noob driver, if you are prepared to give us an opportunity, to GAIN the ever so important experience in this catch 22 industry, I think you will get a number of drivers applying. Just because we are new, doesn’t mean we’d do a worse job than anyone else. We may tick you off with questions, but, we have to learn the ropes somehow. Just my 2p’s worth - Hope this gives you some food for thought. :grimacing:

The Swedish derogation is your problem! Umbrella company or LTD is where all the agencies are pushing new recruits now! For the benefit of guess who? YES! Tesco,Sainsburys other chains are available!
AWR was put in place for a reason,and sooner rather than later the EU is gonna close that loophole and (((Crash))) is what we are all gonna hear when all these 2 bit so called agencies hit the wall!

Or maybe there is a REAL driver shortage! :laughing:

Oh no, more spoof Agy bs, ffs…!
1-There isn’t, hasn’t & never will be a driver shortage-get this in your head!
2-There is no such thing as a good agency, they’re all crap, that’s why they are agencies & not companies direct!
3-If you claim you can help with relocation I think that’s far from the truth, what client do you have that’s paying you so much to afford this ‘service’ that other agencies you’re competing with can’t get? Tell us who these so called contracts are with if you’re genuine.
4-If someone was really struggling to find drivers they’d go set up shop in PL, LT, RO etc, you would solve your so called problem overnight, shaft some of us & line your pockets while you’re at it…!

Get real matey & stop playing with people’s livelihood!!!

Do you have permission for this post :question:

Maybe drivers dont want agency work they want real jobs

If I were to re locate how & what could you offer me :question: will it be to my benefit as well as yours :question: as dont forget if people were to re locate it can be a big step & need a guarantee of work all year round

Why cant you find enough drivers in your area :question:

Redrorry:
Can you not just give the name of the company who has the jobs so that experienced drivers can apply. Or is it the usual reason for using an agency to get a short term expendable workforce. Who would relocate for that. Middle men in the labour market should be illegal.

Should be but our politicians love 'em, they drive the labour rates down. There will be a real shortage of drivers over the coming years, older blokes like myself are not interested in the DCPC and are leaving the industry, the younger lads - well there just arn’t enough of them coming into an industry that pays so little money after they would have had to pay out thousands just to get a licence.

There’s no driver shortage at all

Only one in three of the people who hold a C or C+E currently work as drivers, because the wages are so low when compared to the responsibilities.

Offer £25 an hour and you’ll have em queuing around the block.

That may sound like commercial suicide, but offering more than twice the ‘going rate’ to workers transformed Ford from a minor car assembly company into an automotive giant (every other car factory in Detroit emptied when word got around that Ford was paying twice the going rate, some of Ford’s rivals went out of business straight away, others tried to match Ford’s rate and went out of business shortly afterwards).

Try it, I dare you!

Paying for an advert on here would help you out i’d have thought.

Drivers want real jobs not agency crap, I know drivers who have worked for years on the agency and want a full time position, but the big players use agency staff now for years on end, the AWR regs are a joke.

The only thing to bring an end to this criminal activity is to put a percentage cap on the numbers used, around 15% maybe with a margin for busier times of the year.

They must be very busy in the office as they haven’t come back to reply to the questions :-/

dar1976:
They must be very busy in the office as they haven’t come back to reply to the questions :-/

Probably dealing with the 10,000 PMs. :slight_smile:

GasGas:
There’s no driver shortage at all

Only one in three of the people who hold a C or C+E currently work as drivers, because the wages are so low when compared to the responsibilities.

Offer £25 an hour and you’ll have em queuing around the block.

That may sound like commercial suicide, but offering more than twice the ‘going rate’ to workers transformed Ford from a minor car assembly company into an automotive giant (every other car factory in Detroit emptied when word got around that Ford was paying twice the going rate, some of Ford’s rivals went out of business straight away, others tried to match Ford’s rate and went out of business shortly afterwards).

Try it, I dare you!

+1^^^^
I agree with all this, not enough monkeys willing to work for peanuts I suppose…