driver shortage

We’ve still to exploit the vast pool of Indian and Chinese drivers yet.

As has been said before there has been scaremongering about a driver shortage since I first started reading TRUCK magazine at the age of 10 and now with my 40th well behind me things are still the same or many would say worse.

Cheers
Neilf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haribo4000:
The job centre have been putting jobseekers through there HGV for a while now. the select few also received ADR licences.

makes my blood boil!!

Do you have any evidence of this?

Harry Monk:
As it says in the article, a quarter of HGV drivers are in their sixties, and will be retiring in the next five years. In five years time we will almost certainly be out of recession and demand for drivers will be increasing sharply. It may seem hard to imagine now, in the depths of recession, but statistics back up the predictions.

I wouldn’t want to bet on it Harry.But if you’re right now’s the time to put loads a money into shares not the British road transport industry because whatever happens the British road transport industry can’t grow without a massive change in the political anti truck pro rail policies starting with the price of road fuel and if there’s growth you can bet that taxation on the road transport industry will grow at a greater rate one way or another.

glekay:
thats what i thought but these people must know something we dont

Hiya …it is’nt some thing they know and we dont.we all know the kitty is dry and theres no where
for us to go.its ok for them they just go home after having a free ride for the last few years.
John

hgvhgv:

haribo4000:
The job centre have been putting jobseekers through there HGV for a while now. the select few also received ADR licences.

makes my blood boil!!

My mate was put through his HGV class 2 license. 5 times too before he passed. He hardly drove a truck for work as he couldn’t hack the job, in the 6 months on the agency he didn’t have any comprehension of drivers hours, didn’t bother with a tacho, just put it in and left it at that and also had 3 accidents, one of which was putting the rigid vehicle through a canal bridge in Macclesfield ! Not cut out for the job me thinks.

3300John:
Hiya …we all know the kitty is dry
John

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

hgvhgv:

haribo4000:

makes my blood boil!!

It’s an urban myth as far as I am aware. Job Centres offer basic courses in numeracy and literacy but do not put claimants through HGV courses.

Of course, if they did, details would be on their website, and somebody would be able to provide a link to it…

I was told by my trainer that they used to but stopped it becauase the bums would fail on purpose because they didnt want to work! Takes the ■■■■ if you ask me. I just done mine all self funded, and i want to work so much but its bloody hard getting a start atm!

Harry Monk:
It’s an urban myth as far as I am aware. Job Centres offer basic courses in numeracy and literacy but do not put claimants through HGV courses.

There used to be funding for it but it wasn’t guaranteed and I believe it’s now almost impossible to get.

hgvhgv:
I was told by my trainer that they used to but stopped it becauase the bums would fail on purpose because they didnt want to work!

Urban myth. Why take a course and fail the test on purpose when it would simply be easier not to get out of bed and go on the course in the first place?

Just another example of the poor blaming someone poorer for their plight.

Back in the day when the car factories were closing and heavy industry was dying the job centres were putting people through the HGV test. That was before theory and hazard perception and the other nonsense.Today they will give you some sort of out of date computer course that is much less expensive, and wont lead to full time work.

Sounds like a load of crap to me. :angry:

I signed on for 4 weeks back in January, and put in for just about everything under the sun - including a subsidised ADR course. :sunglasses:

Guess what?

I was told “You have to be unemployed for 2 years to qualify!” WTF? Anyone unemployed that long in this neck of the woods doesn’t want a damned job!
One system I tried to work, but couldn’t as it turned out. Next January I’ll probably take a holiday, and cash in my pot rather than sign on methinks! Not worth the hoohar that’s all seemingly geared up to help people that don’t actually want any help getting work!

Now THAT makes my blood boil, since they’ll probably fund some dipstick who’s up for stepping on your feet whilst you work nights, but otherwise won’t get out of bed! :imp: :imp: :imp:

I had my hgv class 1 training paid for years ago because i had been unemployed for more than 6 months.
There ate still people featured in our local paper every so often who have been long term unenployed and have passed their hgv test with the local training centre with the help of government funding

glekay:
thats what i thought but these people must know something we dont

Why must they?

Kerbdog:
My mate was put through his HGV class 2 license. 5 times too before he passed. He hardly drove a truck for work as he couldn’t hack the job, in the 6 months on the agency he didn’t have any comprehension of drivers hours, didn’t bother with a tacho, just put it in and left it at that and also had 3 accidents, one of which was putting the rigid vehicle through a canal bridge in Macclesfield ! Not cut out for the job me thinks.

I think one could have drawn the final conclusion from the 3rd test attempt, without him going thru’ all the middle bit.

Harry Monk:
Urban myth. Why take a course and fail the test on purpose when it would simply be easier not to get out of bed and go on the course in the first place?

Im sure they have to be seen to be trying to get a job otherwise JSA is stopped. My sister is on JSA and has to make so many applications for jobs per week (even if she isnt qualified for them) She is part of the breed that doesnt want a job because its easier to get hand outs than to earn it herself. :imp: :imp:

Harry Monk:
As it says in the article, a quarter of HGV drivers are in their sixties, and will be retiring in the next five years. In five years time we will almost certainly be out of recession and demand for drivers will be increasing sharply. It may seem hard to imagine now, in the depths of recession, but statistics back up the predictions.

Not sure about being out of recession in 5 years Harry. Technically maybe but my fear is for a prolonged period of stagnation, bit like Japan, with little growth so the net effect being same number of “product movements” but done with fewer vehicles, drivers or hauliers. Transporting less fresh air isn’t going to generate many new jobs. :cry: :cry: IMHO which is worth only that value that you apply.

lynchy:

ajt:
On the flip side good that the government are investing in trying to train people up to get them off the dole. Maybe the wrong industry but what industry has jobs these days…

The ‘rip off the tax payer’ via dole office ‘training’ industry?

Or us subsiding their life on the dole or benefits. Its a loose loose which ever way you look at it

Harry Monk:

hgvhgv:
I was told by my trainer that they used to but stopped it becauase the bums would fail on purpose because they didnt want to work!

Well said Harry, the newspapers and the TV report all sorrts of rubbish about “Benefit Scroungers”, and idiots who cant think for themselves or have not got the nous to check believe it, I was told in the pub the other day that alcholics get money for drink of the Goverment, so I bet the cretin who said it £50 that he could not prove it, the Goverment are demonizing the working class so we will direct our hatred to the wrong sector of society, the ones to blame if you cant get a job is not Billy Bloggs with 5 kid’S (a Benefit Breeder !!) but the scum in the house of commons, the Bankers, the City Spivs who rob the country blind EVERY DAY.

It always amazes me that even in the depths of a recession, there are still those who make the assumption that anybody who is unemployed is some kind of layabout or scrounger.

Five years ago, there were 1.61 million people unemployed. There are currently 2.63 million unemployed. It doesn’t mean that a million people have suddenly decided to become “lazy” or “workshy”. But still this attitude persists.