driver shortage

t.co/B9fGOPVr

Unfortunately there seems to be more of a jobs shortage than a driver shortage…

They are talking about medium to long term though. It’s true that the average age of a driver has been increasing and that the average driver is in his 50’s, and there will be a shortage further down the road when we enter the recovery stage, particularly if eastern Europeans return to their home countries, which is the trend at the moment and will continue to be the trend as those countries become progressively wealthier.

thats what i thought but these people must know something we dont

reading the article i wondered if the trainers on here had noticed a significant downturn in training demand

Harry Monk:
particularly if eastern Europeans return to their home countries, which is the trend at the moment and will continue to be the trend as those countries become progressively wealthier.

are you sure :question:

commonrail:

Harry Monk:
particularly if eastern Europeans return to their home countries, which is the trend at the moment and will continue to be the trend as those countries become progressively wealthier.

Already happening, which is why so many Polski Sklep shops have closed down over the last year or so.

I sure hope this is the case. Come 2014 there should be more demand for drivers I would of thought. However in the mean time, I’ve spent £3k on getting my licenses and cpc, and still cant find work because of the 2 year experince bull ■■■■!

commonrail:

Harry Monk:

i know quite a few that have returned home, a lot of the poles have they have made good money over here for the past 10 yrs built houses over there and returned to enjoy life, as they now have a home they don’t need as much money :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

its just another training company carrying out a supposed survey & spreading their ■■■■■■■■ to ensure government funding for them continues, the truth is that there is no driver shortage but there is a serious shortage of driving jobs.
Once turkey enters the EU we will see massive immigration again just as we did when Poland entered which will drive wages down lower

If the boot were on the other foot, like the “Auf Wiedersehen” scenario, then we might be working in eastern europe because that’s where the jobs & decent pay are.

Once recovery takes place in the “old country” (ie back here!) then you’d up sticks and return home right?

Why shouldn’t we think those immigrants already here are not eager to do the same?

The ones that have got hitched to British Girls might stay, but how many of them is that?

Most are here on their own, sending money back east, or hitched to girls from their own country, and roughing it out over here in subsidised accommodation. Very few are earning enough to pay full-blown rents or mortgages after all.

I’d say as a guess, that at least two-thirds will be back home as soon as their economy has moved up past ours as it continues downwards. :neutral_face:

In the short term, there continues to be too few jobs and too many people prepared to work for less. As more drivers retire, return abroad, hang up their keys out of spite, or re-train for a different career, there can only be an eventual shortage in the longer run.

Meanwhile, the move to have guys retire at 67+ rather than 60 in itself means there’ll be no shortage of older drivers for another 7 years right? :frowning:

i would say out the younger ones that are coming through
alot of them dont want nights out and would def not do weeks away

only a small percentage and normally because of diesal in the veins want the distance and timeaway

Out of 4 of my freinds we are mid 30.s now

2 of them home every night moan like mad and so do there mrs if they have to work 6 days and if had todo a night out

The other an od but will only do uk and will be out all week if need be but doesnt want weekends away
im the only one who wants euro and be away as much as need be

and us 4 were bought up with diesal in the blood

gettin-on:
i would say out the younger ones that are coming through
alot of them dont want nights out and would def not do weeks away

only a small percentage and normally because of diesal in the veins want the distance and timeaway

Out of 4 of my freinds we are mid 30.s now

2 of them home every night moan like mad and so do there mrs if they have to work 6 days and if had todo a night out

The other an od but will only do uk and will be out all week if need be but doesnt want weekends away
im the only one who wants euro and be away as much as need be

and us 4 were bought up with diesal in the blood

Well firstly … I’ll say hi, im Josh been on here for a week or 2 now just browsing.

Secondly, i agree with this ^
Although i have passed my class 1 this year and i am only 20, i cant wait to get behind the wheel and do 4/5 nights out a week, its how iv been brought up “diesel in the blood” as you say, but on my courses there were 2/3 other lads doing it “coz dole office said i have to” attitude.
I feel sorry for the young lads on here struggling for work / insurance etc, but ive been lucky and got myself a job, just waiting for the insurance to pull there fingers out.
Everyones time will come
That is all for now

so from joshs statement above it sounds like the dole office are funding out of work people to train for LGV driving,even tho there are thousands of qualified drivers unable to secure employment
The wages can only go down :cry:

green456:
so from joshs statement above it sounds like the dole office are funding out of work people to train for LGV driving,even tho there are thousands of qualified drivers unable to secure employment
The wages can only go down :cry:

Exactly … this is what does my head in. The likes of me & 100s of others paying £2000+ to get a job on the road because they want to and the 1000s of drivers with x amount of years experience struggling for work or are on £NMW get banded with these dole bums who havnt got a clue why they have got out of bed to do a weeks course.

I asked one kid if he had booked his CPC in and he said “whats that? will i need that?” i couldnt believe it. :unamused:

The job centre have been putting jobseekers through there HGV for a while now. the select few also received ADR licences.

makes my blood boil!!

On the flip side good that the government are investing in trying to train people up to get them off the dole. Maybe the wrong industry but what industry has jobs these days…

THERE CURRENTLY ISN’T A SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS OUT THERE & ISN’T GOING TO BE 1 FOR A VERY LONG TIME…!!!

As it says in the article, a quarter of HGV drivers are in their sixties, and will be retiring in the next five years. In five years time we will almost certainly be out of recession and demand for drivers will be increasing sharply. It may seem hard to imagine now, in the depths of recession, but statistics back up the predictions.

ajt:
On the flip side good that the government are investing in trying to train people up to get them off the dole. Maybe the wrong industry but what industry has jobs these days…

The ‘rip off the tax payer’ via dole office ‘training’ industry?