Driver Shortage

For me £15 hr for a basic 8hr day is the minimum anyone should be working for (hgv drivers) with time and a half after 8 hrs, time and a half Saturday and double bubble Sunday.

OwenMoney:

Buzzer:
After watching some of the BBC morning news it appears that some super market shelves are empty once again this apparently due to ping=demic, what a load of cods wallop. If we were not having a heat wave at this present moment this would not be happening people are swinging the lead for sure and taking advantage of the weather we have just now.
Why is it that the Government have no one in a position to see the real reason for a truck drivers shortage, do away with the totally unnecessary drivers CPC, it is costly and takes a driver out for a whole week and to what benefit, most of these skilled drivers have years of experience in the field so why is it necessary, it is for management only IMHO so delete it.
It is a natural thing for a person to want to be paid the best achievable wage for a weeks work weather it be driving a truck or what ever else, as stated by a nurse interviewed on the BBC she can earn more in a supermarket job than her chosen profession without any of the stress and that’s why the NHS is struggling as nurses are leaving, this scenario is the same in the haulage world in a lot of cases but not all, job satisfaction plays a big part in all of this and I have always been an advocate enjoying what you do to earn a crust, saying this ide rather earn a little less and enjoy what I was doing. There will be some who say they need to earn the highest even if they don’t enjoy the work but not me, driving & transport was my vocation in life and loved every minute of it including the stress factor but now retired it no longer matters.
Moving on to the Northern Ireland issue, when we had Brexit I thought that was the end of Brussel’s giving us orders, OK our Government signed an agroment with the EU and now they are trying to punish us but they are not following the rules either with bottom trawlers working in our protected waters and when caught putting there hand up and saying ooh we did not know, they know alright just a blatant disregard of the rules and its Greenpeace bringing this to the fore, it ought to be a destroyer blowing a hole in the offending trawlers.
While on a roll why have we as tax payers allowed our Government to give the French another 52 million to ease the flow of immigrants to these shores of ours, they must be laughing all the way to the bank and what do they do, ■■■■■■ these dinghy’s full of migrants to British waters, nice money if you can get it. What’s the answer from Government, oh we will stick them in prison for four years at a cost of about a grand a week each, that will do. Why not just load them up and send them back over as they probably cant afford a second go at crossing.
Well had my little rant just sit back and await the flack, lets here what you all think we should do, Buzzer

The response from Calais -
The approach was confirmed earlier by the French MP for Calais Pierre-Henri Dumont who said: “If they are small boats migrants and are not asking for help, we are not supposed to intervene. It is not forbidden for people to be at sea.

“We have no legal basis to intervene when they are in French waters at sea.”

He further added to UK embarrassment by claiming the £54 million deal is pointless because migrants will “just find somewhere else to cross.”

Ms Patel and her French counterpart, Gérald Moussa Darmanin, the interior minister, aim to persuade the EU to agree to a replacement for the Dublin Agreement, designed to enable European countries to share the burden of asylum-seekers crossing the continent.

Since Brexit killed off the agreement, Britain has failed to secure a deal with any EU nations to take back any migrant who passed through their borders and should have claimed asylum in the first safe country they entered.

DCPCFML:

windrush:

ramone:
DHL are advertising for class 1 drivers salaried at £33156 a year for wednesday to sundays permenant 4.30am starts … so why the driver shortage ?

Decent money for a short week, and a clean job I imagine, but maybe DHL are not a popular company to work for? :confused: Here in Derbyshire bin collections are being stopped in some areas due to driver shortage.

Pete.

Pete, that driver shortage is nothing to do with the other driver shortage. The driver shortage you’re referring to is the bone idle local council drivers who are all using the NHS T&T app to ensure maximum paid time sat at home “self-isolating” from the covaids.
[/quote]

They have very little choice in that though, unless they ignore it which then goes against Government advice? Many industries are having the same problem, my neighbour is just one of them. They are short of HGV drivers anyway though, even pre covid they were struggling to get drivers for some reason and to me it seemed a decent enough job nowadays compared to fifty years ago when they were carting heavy bins around.

Pete.

cav551:
Looking at this in the light of some of the figures being quoted leaves me feeling a little uneasy. The Filthies have imposed a 3.5 % pay increase for nurses and medical staff who I assume are on NHS 12 hr shifts. An increase in drivers wages from £14hr to £25hr is a 78% increase. Now this may be the law of supply and demand but something is seriously wrong here.

There’s a huge dicrepancy in drivers wages across the various areas and specialites.
Whilst agency rates to cover emergency shifts acn be eye openers i believe we are in a short period of readjustment, agencies are charging clients such high figures now that direct employment will be the name of the game again, i hope not too many are jumping from regular decent jobs onto agencies thinking this is long term.

£25 an hour is achievable across the board on decent companies but it won’t usually be on an hourly pay basis, it will be usually found in salaried positions or where bonus incentives feature such as some car carrier operate under.

Mate of mine reckons somewhere rhyming with rodel have upped their pay to £14.50 per hour for the first 8, break not paid, then £22 after 8 but with important caveat, OT paid daily not after a weekly total (con), weekend rates he wasn’t too sure about…this came from friends of his trying to get him to jump ship to join them…might work too because he can beat those pay rates where he is but the company give him harder longer days than they do their mates and special interest types who know how to play the system, he’s just a very decent bloke who gets put on and his employer is a fool.

Generally most full time driver’s wages have remained near enough stagnant for the past decade or more, with operators taking advantage of their staff and taking on immigrants who through no fault of their own sensibly tried to better their own lot, and i don’t blame the foreign drivers one bit.
What the operators have done however is ignored the age elephant in the room (helped by the loss of some of the EE lads), assuming there would always be a never ending supply of desperate EE workers, this perfectly forseeable to any driver but seemingly oblivious to the cleverer than thou suits has finally come round to bite them right in the arse and it couldn’t happen to a more deserving bunch.

Driver’s wages are rising but in most cases only starting to catch up to where they should have been heading gradually over the years, had operators not been so bloody greedy and short sighted in their mutual race to the bottom there would be ample skilled and willing younger drivers taking over as the older drivers retired out of the game.

Those few companies who never failed to appreciate their staff and awarded annual pay rises all through this period strangely never had any recruitment or competent skilled driver shortages, how amazing is that.

Those companies who took advantage of, underpaid overworked and bullied their drivers with threats of there’s the door plenty of Poles want your job, will find they have no loyalty from their staff whatsoever and soon as someone else offers them better conditions they’ll be off, too late now to suddenly realise what decent employees they have had for years, drivers will see straight through this and treat such false appreciation with the contempt it deserves.

Juddian:
< snip >

Good post. I agree with much of it. I don’t agree on the loyalty aspect. Whilst I don’t disagree that there are some operators who recognise the value of their drivers, looking after the kit and doing a fair day’s work for fair pay etc, these are very very much in the minority and I think many drivers naively believe they are more important than they actually are and the company would go bankrupt without them. Usually observed and labelled by the other drivers as “yes” men who will do anything asked as they think they are “in” with the gaffer because the gaffer asks them to help out when they [zb] up. The reality in most cases is that they are just as expendable as everyone else and are simply being used because they know they’ll do it. You usually find out how much you’re valued when you ask for an early finish on Friday and then note what time you actually finish. :bulb:

I’d say chase the money while it’s on the table for the taking. Look after number 1 first and foremost. You never know : when your current gaffer learns you’re leaving for more money because you have debts to pay off (for example) and “needs must”, you might well find he ups your money to match after it dawns on him that he actually will be in the [zb] without you. Win-win. :bulb:

windrush:

DCPCFML:

windrush:

ramone:
DHL are advertising for class 1 drivers salaried at £33156 a year for wednesday to sundays permenant 4.30am starts … so why the driver shortage ?

Decent money for a short week, and a clean job I imagine, but maybe DHL are not a popular company to work for? :confused: Here in Derbyshire bin collections are being stopped in some areas due to driver shortage.

Pete.

Pete, that driver shortage is nothing to do with the other driver shortage. The driver shortage you’re referring to is the bone idle local council drivers who are all using the NHS T&T app to ensure maximum paid time sat at home “self-isolating” from the covaids.
[/quote]

They have very little choice in that though, unless they ignore it which then goes against Government advice? Many industries are having the same problem, my neighbour is just one of them. They are short of HGV drivers anyway though, even pre covid they were struggling to get drivers for some reason and to me it seemed a decent enough job nowadays compared to fifty years ago when they were carting heavy bins around.

Pete.

Think you also have to temper that with the fact they are on less money than the private sector, even terms and conditions have been watered down as have their pensions, most council workers have had to endure pay freezes for years now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ours are not council employees, they are contractors nowadays and change annually.

Pete.

carryfast-yeti:

ramone:

which dhl contract is that,ramone?

Its DHL Supply go on Indeed and put hgv1 jobs west yorkshire in and you will see why there’s a shortage of quality jobs up here

cav551:
Looking at this in the light of some of the figures being quoted leaves me feeling a little uneasy. The Filthies have imposed a 3.5 % pay increase for nurses and medical staff who I assume are on NHS 12 hr shifts. An increase in drivers wages from £14hr to £25hr is a 78% increase. Now this may be the law of supply and demand but something is seriously wrong here.

What we get advertised up here Cav can be misleading. Agencies advertise £14 to £15 a hour but then take a percentage of your weekly wage off and use that as your holiday pay i know this because i have been there. Now i was speaking to a nurse recently who said that not all NHS workers are whiter than white and are playing the system big style

DCPCFML:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.
[/quote]
[/quote]
I suppose that all the other people from other proffessions who have told to isolate are “bone idle” too.Clown :imp: :unamused:

Stargazer you are wrong about Ramone as he is spot on with his thoughts about T&T app there are hundreds of thousands all taking advantage of that system because they are bone idle and will stop at nought to take advantage, just hope they aint getting paid. On this subject its the same as the people who are working from home, they are all on the game as well and they ignore phone calls and when challenged say they were on a break, balls half the time there sat in an armchair watching some telly program with a hot drink in hand and no one watching over them, no wonder they want it to carry on. Eventually the employers will catch on and put a halt to this, all fine when the pandemic was at its height but not now, think again matey as you are truly stargazing and I am not a personal friend of Ramone either, Buzzer.

Hi buzzer it wasn’t ramone I was replying to but dcpc.I agree with what you are saying as you built up a very successful business.What. hacked me off was the way it was implied that council workers are lazy because if he read the article correctly he would have seen that it was only one collection of recycling that was being missed.Apologies for any offence cheers Ray p.s i drive bin lorries for my local council :smiley:

Some of my neighbours (five actually) have been working from home for almost 18 months now, they do get the job done and I can hear some of them on their 'phones when I am working outside. Next door the husband works in the small bedroom while his wife has her office in the loft. None of them enjoy it: they miss the interaction with the other employees and friends and now wonder if this will be their ‘working life’ for the future as some companies have already closed down their offices as they are surplus to requirements if folk can manage well on a laptop and telephone from home. Our local streets are almost deserted now instead of being filled with cars owned by the council office staff as most of them are at home now. I know that I would absolutely hate it, nothing better than having the daily ‘craic’ with other drivers and customers to hurry the day along which was what I missed most when I had to stop working. :cry:

Pete.

My wife has worked from home for over a year and a half now but will be going back to her work place in the autumn, if anything she’s been doing more hours working from home. Regarding the council office workers working from home, I know a couple of people that work for Bedford borough council, long before covid they were asked to work from home from now on and the council has now rented a large amount of office space out to the private sector, if they need to go into the office for any reason they have to book a desk/computer and room in advance. They no longer have a dedicated office or department.

All my three sons work from home, but none work in the transport sector. One has done so for the last 15 years, ever since he set himself up in business. The other two as a result of Covid and they (and their employers) envisage continuing to do so partially in the future. All my sons prefer this system. But it is a question of self discipline to be really successful. But doubtless there will be some people milking the possibilities it gives while they can. That’s life…

Our firms got the message £112 pay rise per week or £2.50 per hour rise and the overtime rates up too

ramone:
Our firms got the message £112 pay rise per week or £2.50 per hour rise and the overtime rates up too

Great news Ramone! :slight_smile:

Kempston:

ramone:

Great news Ramone! :slight_smile:

It´s a start! Let’s hope other companies feel the need to follow.

£112 PER WEEK PAY RISE WHAT!! on what rate of pay ,how many hours per week, must be a first for the uk please enlighten me i am curious, all though retired ,whoever negotiation that must be a wizard .enjoy.

ramone:

Your presumably not on quarry work in the Peak District! :laughing:

Pete.