Driver Shortage

peggydeckboy:
£112 PER WEEK PAY RISE WHAT!! on what rate of pay ,how many hours per week, must be a first for the uk please enlighten me i am curious, all though retired ,whoever negotiation that must be a wizard .enjoy.

Yep we were on £12 per hour for 45 hours then overtime at time and a third we get time and a half saturday .They have had drivers in and out on a regular basis but recently it has got really bad so they have had to do something about it. So we are now on £14.50 per hour with the overtime based on that rate at time and a third and time and a half. The £2,50 rate rise on 45 hours pays £112 more. The job isn’t for everyone and there’s no big Volvo or Scanias here but the wages are what pay the bills Oh , and no one asked for the rise the TM rang yesterday morning to say i would have to sign to say i agreed to the new rate ,good job i was sat down ,

windrush:

ramone:
Our firms got the message £112 pay rise per week or £2.50 per hour rise and the overtime rates up too

Your presumably not on quarry work in the Peak District! :laughing:

Pete.

No Pete , but landfill isn’t fun either dusty and hot in summer a mudbath in winter , the skip dustbin men tipper and hookloader drivers are now on £14 per hour , i guarantee someone will moan

£112 That is very good 0ver 20% i think in the end concrete ,sand ,gravel ,chippings stones from the garden centre will go up ,so long as you get a better deal who cares it just shows how companies are holding back paying their drivers ,as basically whatever is blasted out of the earth that product has not gone up about time yous got a better deal. dbp

peggydeckboy:
£112 That is very good 0ver 20% i think in the end concrete ,sand ,gravel ,chippings stones from the garden centre will go up ,so long as you get a better deal who cares it just shows how companies are holding back paying their drivers ,as basically whatever is blasted out of the earth that product has not gone up about time yous got a better deal. dbp

The job i do goes into the ground i’m in the waste industry like i said before not everyones first choice its not a good environment the tackle is crap and they can’t or couldn’t get drivers , yesterday 60 applicants

Well we still seem to have a driver shortage and waht a shame the little darlings cant get a milk shake at McDonalds, Nando’s got no chicken and Iceland say that Christmas will be cancelled, what a load of cods wallop, apparently there are 80,000 qualified HGV drivers doing other jobs at this moment in time and why is this. Supermarkets are winging about having empty shelves and they are part to blame, any driver who has had to make deliveries to there distribution centre’s know how they get treated when trying to make a delivery so they have only got them selves to blame, they need to start treating drivers above second class citizens for a start.
In a real world there is no one with enough Government brain power to work out why youngsters do not want to take up the driving challenge, number one is the cost of getting a licence and all the other paperwork like a drivers CPC needed to get going at great cost to the individual of several thousand pounds, cut the crap out and simplify the system, then set a decent wage structure for doing the job with minimums on earnings.
Having spent most of my life owning and running trucks its not hard to see the problems but fixing them is a different matter, my boys only run ten trucks nowadays but the average age of the drivers is over 55 with some past retiring age. I still have an HGV licence at 72 but would not want to drive on todays roads its far to busy for me, short trips out of peak will do me.
Christmas being cancelled certainly wont bother me and as for a McD milkshake or any other of there fair you can keep it, we used to haul that stuff in years gone and know its crap but thats how alot of the nation feed there kids on nowadays thats why they are so unhealthy.
We need someone who understands the haulage scene in power to sort the job out and stop blaming all on Brexit its time to get real and sort out the job for the better, it wont be a quick fix but it sure needs fixing, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Well we still seem to have a driver shortage and waht a shame the little darlings cant get a milk shake at McDonalds, Nando’s got no chicken and Iceland say that Christmas will be cancelled, what a load of cods wallop, apparently there are 80,000 qualified HGV drivers doing other jobs at this moment in time and why is this. Supermarkets are winging about having empty shelves and they are part to blame, any driver who has had to make deliveries to there distribution centre’s know how they get treated when trying to make a delivery so they have only got them selves to blame, they need to start treating drivers above second class citizens for a start.
In a real world there is no one with enough Government brain power to work out why youngsters do not want to take up the driving challenge, number one is the cost of getting a licence and all the other paperwork like a drivers CPC needed to get going at great cost to the individual of several thousand pounds, cut the crap out and simplify the system, then set a decent wage structure for doing the job with minimums on earnings.
Having spent most of my life owning and running trucks its not hard to see the problems but fixing them is a different matter, my boys only run ten trucks nowadays but the average age of the drivers is over 55 with some past retiring age. I still have an HGV licence at 72 but would not want to drive on todays roads its far to busy for me, short trips out of peak will do me.
Christmas being cancelled certainly wont bother me and as for a McD milkshake or any other of there fair you can keep it, we used to haul that stuff in years gone and know its crap but thats how alot of the nation feed there kids on nowadays thats why they are so unhealthy.
We need someone who understands the haulage scene in power to sort the job out and stop blaming all on Brexit its time to get real and sort out the job for the better, it wont be a quick fix but it sure needs fixing, Buzzer.

Totally agree with you Buzzer, according to the news tonight they are pressing for a relaxation in European drivers being allowed to come and work here, usual default solution, get some cheap labour in that they can treat like dirt rather than address the situation long term. I allowed my HGV to lapse five years ago just due to the large cost to keep it going, were it not for that I along with probably many others could step up to help out. I was told by someone last week they were speaking to a driver delivering to him that he had changed jobs three times in three weeks and was now getting £30 hour! You can’t blame anyone for doing that as we all know that certain companies would be very happy to cut the rates to minimum wage if there was a glut of drivers. I’ve had it happen to me so good luck to anyone that can take advantage of the current situation.

I was unfortunate enough to have to deliver to Sainsbury rdc at Basingstoke this week.
2.5 hrs on the bay before they got round to start tipping me.
An hour after I was tipped before my paperwork was ready.
3.5hrs on a bay to tip 26 pallets.
Rare thing for me to do this sort of work, thank ■■■■■
No driver shortage, they’re all sat on bays at rdc’s!!

Kempston:
[quote=

Totally agree with you Buzzer, according to the news tonight they are pressing for a relaxation in European drivers being allowed to come and work here, usual default solution, get some cheap labour in that they can treat like dirt rather than address the situation long term. I allowed my HGV to lapse five years ago just due to the large cost to keep it going, were it not for that I along with probably many others could step up to help out. I was told by someone last week they were speaking to a driver delivering to him that he had changed jobs three times in three weeks and was now getting £30 hour! You can’t blame anyone for doing that as we all know that certain companies would be very happy to cut the rates to minimum wage if there was a glut of drivers. I’ve had it happen to me so good luck to anyone that can take advantage of the current situation.

How about this solution?

Instead of bringing in EU drivers on a visa scheme why not simply lower our driving test standards to the standard the EU drivers would have taken to get their licence? I cannot imagine that, for example, the Rumanian HGV test is quite as exacting as the British. But we accept their licences, and thus their standard, on our roads. I imagine we could whip tests along a lot quicker than we do now and at far lower cost too.

What do you think?

Kempston:

Buzzer:

Kempston I was reading about an jet pilot that worked for Flybe and lost his job when they went bust he was on K30 a year doing that job now he is an HGV driver on K40, this obviously would not be the case if there were no shortage of drivers eh, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Kempston:

Buzzer:

Kempston I was reading about an jet pilot that worked for Flybe and lost his job when they went bust he was on K30 a year doing that job now he is an HGV driver on K40, this obviously would not be the case if there were no shortage of drivers eh, Buzzer.

Exactly Buzzer, I hear Tesco are offering £1000 bonus to anyone signing up to work for them, it’s the usual companies struggling to get drivers, over reliant on agency drivers whom they are quite happy to treat like second class citizens again when there’s no shortage of drivers, when I started agency driving my first assignment was wagon and drag in Argos (DHL) have to say I got on really well in there and was always treated well but the agency I started with was ANC, really well paid and treated really well, Argo at the time used many different agencies, the group then decided to use one agency and to work for them you had to sign up with them, needless to say they were a pile of crap! Cut the rates etc etc. After a while they were struggling to get drivers so argos kicked them out and used The Best Connection or as I prefer to call them the worst connection, again the rates were altered to a flat rate over all hours and days. In the end I was earning probably £150 a week less than when I first started with ANC. I went past the marshleys distribution centre in kempston today and saw an advertising sheet cable tied to the fence offering £17.50/ hour so obviously struggling again now.

If the government scrapped the joke that passes for a driver’s CPC they’d double the number of drivers overnight. For a start, a lot of time-expired LGV licence holders would quite like to get back behind the wheel part-time. Perhaps we should introduce a ‘minister’s CPC’ for MPs aspiring to become Ministers of Transport and make them pay for their own training.

ERF-NGC-European:
If the government scrapped the joke that passes for a driver’s CPC they’d double the number of drivers overnight. For a start, a lot of time-expired LGV licence holders would quite like to get back behind the wheel part-time. Perhaps we should introduce a ‘minister’s CPC’ for MPs aspiring to become Ministers of Transport and make them pay for their own training.

My father was extremely proud to tell my brother and me that he had never taken a driving test of any form! It was not something that the government of the time had invented. It was all legal of course.

The subsequent generation got caught up in the farce that we called a driving test (when I took my test 50-odd years ago I had to learn how to drive in the approved manner to pass…). Then came the HGV test (which many avoided with grandfather’s rights) and all the subsequent nonsense (including Elfin safety and CPC) that has developed. Is it all necessary? As I said in a previous post I suggest that, if the UK government accepts drivers using licences issued by countries that do not have stringent tests, perhaps not.

It’s not just the UK short of drivers, it’s the whole of the EU as well, perhaps its not just a Brexit problem.

globalcoldchainnews.com/dri … -european/

Birdie4x4:
It’s not just the UK short of drivers, it’s the whole of the EU as well, perhaps its not just a Brexit problem.

globalcoldchainnews.com/dri … -european/

It’s never been a brexit problem imo Birdie, it’s an industry wide problem with a little help from an inept out of touch government that seem to think HGV drivers are here to serve the masses for a pittance and treated like second class citizens.

Its all well and good agencies and the like paying fantastic wages short term, super markets and the like do not suffer they will just put pennies on this and that to cover the cost. Believe you me as soon as the so called crisis is over those inflated wages will dissolve thats for sure, we need a long term solution to this problem and that does not mean employing EU personal, we have the bodies here to do the job so just pay a sensible wage for whats required, will we see an end to this probably not short term perhaps we can train some of these Afgans and Illegal immigrants instead of housing and paying them to do nought, Buzzer

ERF-NGC-European:

Spot on, well said.

Buzzer:
Its all well and good agencies and the like paying fantastic wages short term, super markets and the like do not suffer they will just put pennies on this and that to cover the cost. Believe you me as soon as the so called crisis is over those inflated wages will dissolve thats for sure, we need a long term solution to this problem and that does not mean employing EU personal, we have the bodies here to do the job so just pay a sensible wage for whats required, will we see an end to this probably not short term perhaps we can train some of these Afgans and Illegal immigrants instead of housing and paying them to do nought, Buzzer

Umm, that is exactly what is happening. Now that the artificially low wages have ended now the cheap EEs have gone home you are seeing the money adjusting to its real level.

I know I’m a bit out of touch lately but aren’t there any R.T.A. training schools now, when I started driving in 73 there were HGV training schools everywhere due to the shortage of drivers, the company I started driving for put me through the test and paid my wages while I was being trained, I packed up as a joiner to start lorry driving for double the wages at the time!!

I know I’m a bit out of touch lately but aren’t there any R.T.A. training schools now, when I started driving in 73 there were HGV training schools everywhere due to the shortage of drivers, the company I started driving for put me through the test and paid my wages while I was being trained, I packed up as a joiner to start lorry driving for double the wages at the time!!

ramone:
Our firms got the message £112 pay rise per week or £2.50 per hour rise and the overtime rates up too

My lad has just got similar, he’s a mechanic and he’s a class 1 holder with experience.
Far sighted employers are keeping hold of what they’ve got.
I was told :unamused: last week that a local (Leeds/Bradford/Wakefield area) distribution outfit are offering £200 per shift for Class 1 drivers. Five shifts a week and that’s £52k a year :open_mouth: