Driver Shortage

Buzzer:
After watching some of the BBC morning news it appears that some super market shelves are empty once again this apparently due to ping=demic, what a load of cods wallop. If we were not having a heat wave at this present moment this would not be happening people are swinging the lead for sure and taking advantage of the weather we have just now.
Why is it that the Government have no one in a position to see the real reason for a truck drivers shortage, do away with the totally unnecessary drivers CPC, it is costly and takes a driver out for a whole week and to what benefit, most of these skilled drivers have years of experience in the field so why is it necessary, it is for management only IMHO so delete it.
It is a natural thing for a person to want to be paid the best achievable wage for a weeks work weather it be driving a truck or what ever else, as stated by a nurse interviewed on the BBC she can earn more in a supermarket job than her chosen profession without any of the stress and that’s why the NHS is struggling as nurses are leaving, this scenario is the same in the haulage world in a lot of cases but not all, job satisfaction plays a big part in all of this and I have always been an advocate enjoying what you do to earn a crust, saying this ide rather earn a little less and enjoy what I was doing. There will be some who say they need to earn the highest even if they don’t enjoy the work but not me, driving & transport was my vocation in life and loved every minute of it including the stress factor but now retired it no longer matters.
Moving on to the Northern Ireland issue, when we had Brexit I thought that was the end of Brussel’s giving us orders, OK our Government signed an agroment with the EU and now they are trying to punish us but they are not following the rules either with bottom trawlers working in our protected waters and when caught putting there hand up and saying ooh we did not know, they know alright just a blatant disregard of the rules and its Greenpeace bringing this to the fore, it ought to be a destroyer blowing a hole in the offending trawlers.
While on a roll why have we as tax payers allowed our Government to give the French another 52 million to ease the flow of immigrants to these shores of ours, they must be laughing all the way to the bank and what do they do, ■■■■■■ these dinghy’s full of migrants to British waters, nice money if you can get it. What’s the answer from Government, oh we will stick them in prison for four years at a cost of about a grand a week each, that will do. Why not just load them up and send them back over as they probably cant afford a second go at crossing.
Well had my little rant just sit back and await the flack, lets here what you all think we should do, Buzzer

The response from Calais -
The approach was confirmed earlier by the French MP for Calais Pierre-Henri Dumont who said: “If they are small boats migrants and are not asking for help, we are not supposed to intervene. It is not forbidden for people to be at sea.

“We have no legal basis to intervene when they are in French waters at sea.”

He further added to UK embarrassment by claiming the £54 million deal is pointless because migrants will “just find somewhere else to cross.”

OwenMoney:

Buzzer:
After watching some of the BBC morning news it appears that some super market shelves are empty once again this apparently due to ping=demic, what a load of cods wallop. If we were not having a heat wave at this present moment this would not be happening people are swinging the lead for sure and taking advantage of the weather we have just now.
Why is it that the Government have no one in a position to see the real reason for a truck drivers shortage, do away with the totally unnecessary drivers CPC, it is costly and takes a driver out for a whole week and to what benefit, most of these skilled drivers have years of experience in the field so why is it necessary, it is for management only IMHO so delete it.
It is a natural thing for a person to want to be paid the best achievable wage for a weeks work weather it be driving a truck or what ever else, as stated by a nurse interviewed on the BBC she can earn more in a supermarket job than her chosen profession without any of the stress and that’s why the NHS is struggling as nurses are leaving, this scenario is the same in the haulage world in a lot of cases but not all, job satisfaction plays a big part in all of this and I have always been an advocate enjoying what you do to earn a crust, saying this ide rather earn a little less and enjoy what I was doing. There will be some who say they need to earn the highest even if they don’t enjoy the work but not me, driving & transport was my vocation in life and loved every minute of it including the stress factor but now retired it no longer matters.
Moving on to the Northern Ireland issue, when we had Brexit I thought that was the end of Brussel’s giving us orders, OK our Government signed an agroment with the EU and now they are trying to punish us but they are not following the rules either with bottom trawlers working in our protected waters and when caught putting there hand up and saying ooh we did not know, they know alright just a blatant disregard of the rules and its Greenpeace bringing this to the fore, it ought to be a destroyer blowing a hole in the offending trawlers.
While on a roll why have we as tax payers allowed our Government to give the French another 52 million to ease the flow of immigrants to these shores of ours, they must be laughing all the way to the bank and what do they do, ■■■■■■ these dinghy’s full of migrants to British waters, nice money if you can get it. What’s the answer from Government, oh we will stick them in prison for four years at a cost of about a grand a week each, that will do. Why not just load them up and send them back over as they probably cant afford a second go at crossing.
Well had my little rant just sit back and await the flack, lets here what you all think we should do, Buzzer

The approach was confirmed earlier by the French MP for Calais Pierre-Henri Dumont who said: “If they are small boats migrants and are not asking for help, we are not supposed to intervene. It is not forbidden for people to be at sea.

He further added to UK embarrassment by claiming the £54 million deal is pointless because migrants will “just find somewhere else to cross.”

I was going to suggest having a high speed boat armed with snipers to puncture these inflatable craft as soon as they hit British waters but then I would need me tin hat on, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

OwenMoney:

Buzzer:

I was going to suggest having a high speed boat armed with snipers to puncture these inflatable craft as soon as they hit British waters but then I would need me tin hat on, Buzzer.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact that’s an excellent idea if they need any crew I’m in

BP are the latest to say driver shortage may see garage pumps empty of fuel .Well maybe they should have more regional depots for storage and run their own transport instead of farming it out to the cheapest bidder. The reason the shortage exists is the quality of work available .I have been looking for a long time now but its the same companies advertising. The majority of work is agency and these agencies are popping up at an alarming rate. Ive no sympathy for these big companies who have farmed their transport out to the cheapest haulier who in turn as put in ridiculous shift patterns to try and make it work and pay. 32 years on class 1 ADR all classes CPC National for over 20 years the cartoon cpc clean licence … nothing but crap on offer , as for Buzzer and his comments , go into politics and you’ll get my vote

DHL are advertising for class 1 drivers salaried at £33156 a year for wednesday to sundays permenant 4.30am starts … so why the driver shortage ?

ramone:
DHL are advertising for class 1 drivers salaried at £33156 a year for wednesday to sundays permenant 4.30am starts … so why the driver shortage ?

Decent money for a short week, and a clean job I imagine, but maybe DHL are not a popular company to work for? :confused: Here in Derbyshire bin collections are being stopped in some areas due to driver shortage.

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:

Decent money for a short week, and a clean job I imagine, but maybe DHL are not a popular company to work for? :confused: Here in Derbyshire bin collections are being stopped in some areas due to driver shortage.

Pete.

Its a 5 day week Pete including sat and sunday at normal time nobody from these big companies are listening

ramone:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

Its a 5 day week Pete including sat and sunday at normal time nobody from these big companies are listening

I was pretty much going to post the same reply as you Ramone, this is pretty much what happened at Argos in the Bedford d.c. which DHL run, this was when a whole load of drivers handed their notices in and went elsewhere. So a load of very experienced and good drivers were no longer there because suits knew best, I’m really glad when these decisions come back to bite the idiots on the arse, the only problem is it’s the likes of all of us that suffer when we can’t get groceries and petrol just because of the stupid decision making of people that wouldn’t dream of doing these hours themselves.

I often think to myself now, i wish i still had my hgv etc just to either phone some of the agencies that used to cut rates and offer my services at £25 per hour for 8 hours and time and a half after that with double time for weekends just to see what their reaction would be or see how desperate they really are.

Kempston:

ramone:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

I was pretty much going to post the same reply as you Ramone, this is pretty much what happened at Argos in the Bedford d.c. which DHL run, this was when a whole load of drivers handed their notices in and went elsewhere. So a load of very experienced and good drivers were no longer there because suits knew best, I’m really glad when these decisions come back to bite the idiots on the arse, the only problem is it’s the likes of all of us that suffer when we can’t get groceries and petrol just because of the stupid decision making of people that wouldn’t dream of doing these hours themselves.

Its just an arrogance from the people running these companies. Planners that are barely out of school, degree holding managers both lacking one simple ingredient , common sense. The point you made about would they be prepared to do those shifts is correct . They wouldn’t do them for their own wages let alone the drivers rates. They may come back with the old adage of i’ve spent a few years studying to get where i am , well yes you did but your time would have been better spent learning about the job you were paid to do and add man management skills to that one. . The industry is a mess because all these big firms took full advantage when the borders come down and now people have got wise and said stick your CPC your crap shifts and long hours. Warburtons were advertising not so long ago and their HR person wrote the job description with lots of one liners like plenty of dough in this job, and the old favourite of great worklife family life balance, with days nights and weekends included in all shifts .Not sure how that works

Kempston:
I often think to myself now, i wish i still had my hgv etc just to either phone some of the agencies that used to cut rates and offer my services at £25 per hour for 8 hours and time and a half after that with double time for weekends just to see what their reaction would be or see how desperate they really are.

Agencies are probably responsible for much of the problem .Who wants temporary employment where they advertise £15 per hour but when you get your wage they have taken a chunk out to pay your holiday pay later on . Companies are relying on agwncies instead of getting their act together. Nearly every job i see in my local area is agency

When I was at Shanks Ramone that’s exactly what happened to our depot, we were the highest earning depot in the group, our manager who had worked his way up had an ‘indiscretion’ with a female member of staff, subsequently he was sacked. Shanks had this policy of employing and fast tracking graduates into management positions. Up steps Mr newly graduated idiot, he was fantastic, managed to turn around a depot that was making a fortune into a loss making depot, thought he could speak to drivers like dirt and indeed did until he was put back in his box by some of the older drivers. The result was the depot was closed down, what a success, brilliant. He wanted to move the drivers to the Hitchin depot with of course a new contract with less pay, sadly for him a president had been set on the mileage they could make anyone move without paying redundancy if they refused, (this is the best bit) the distance from Brogborough to Hitchin was 1 mile over the agreed distance :laughing: every driver put in for redundancy, I even took all the letters over to our head office myself. They had to pay all of us off with the highest being £38,000 and the lowest around £12,000, I personally received just over £18,000. Finished on the Friday and was working again for someone else on the Monday. :laughing:

Kempston:
When I was at Shanks Ramone that’s exactly what happened to our depot, we were the highest earning depot in the group, our manager who had worked his way up had an ‘indiscretion’ with a female member of staff, subsequently he was sacked. Shanks had this policy of employing and fast tracking graduates into management positions. Up steps Mr newly graduated idiot, he was fantastic, managed to turn around a depot that was making a fortune into a loss making depot, thought he could speak to drivers like dirt and indeed did until he was put back in his box by some of the older drivers. The result was the depot was closed down, what a success, brilliant. He wanted to move the drivers to the Hitchen depot with of course a new contract with less pay, sadly for him a president had been set on the mileage they could make anyone move without paying redundancy if they refused, (this is the best bit) the distance from Brogborough to Hitchen was 1 mile over the agreed distance :laughing: every driver put in for redundancy, I even took all the letters over to our head office myself. They had to pay all of us off with the highest being £38,000 and the lowest around £12,000, I personally received just over £18,000. Finished on the Friday and was working again for someone else on the Monday. :laughing:

I remember Shanks taking over a waste company near me within 12 months they had closed down and the previous owner had started building another waste group with the proceeds . He’s in the process of doing the same again because he gives the idiots what they are worth
A straight talking business man fealing with fools

ramone:

Kempston:
When I was at Shanks Ramone that’s exactly what happened to our depot, we were the highest earning depot in the group, our manager who had worked his way up had an ‘indiscretion’ with a female member of staff, subsequently he was sacked. Shanks had this policy of employing and fast tracking graduates into management positions. Up steps Mr newly graduated idiot, he was fantastic, managed to turn around a depot that was making a fortune into a loss making depot, thought he could speak to drivers like dirt and indeed did until he was put back in his box by some of the older drivers. The result was the depot was closed down, what a success, brilliant. He wanted to move the drivers to the Hitchen depot with of course a new contract with less pay, sadly for him a president had been set on the mileage they could make anyone move without paying redundancy if they refused, (this is the best bit) the distance from Brogborough to Hitchin was 1 mile over the agreed distance :laughing: every driver put in for redundancy, I even took all the letters over to our head office myself. They had to pay all of us off with the highest being £38,000 and the lowest around £12,000, I personally received just over £18,000. Finished on the Friday and was working again for someone else on the Monday. :laughing:

I remember Shanks taking over a waste company near me within 12 months they had closed down and the previous owner had started building another waste group with the proceeds . He’s in the process of doing the same again because he gives the idiots what they are worth
A straight talking business man fealing with fools

Shanks did that in London, iirc it gave them 100 lorries in London until the people they bought the business from all started up again under another name, before I left Shanks they no longer had one lorry in London.

ramone:

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

I suppose with working for a small company for the last five years of my working life I got rather out of touch with time and a half etc as I only got it for sunday and night work? When I drove for Tilcon in the 80’s/90’s we were on good money (own account work of course so transport didn’t have to make a profit) and there was a waiting list for driving jobs. One and a half hours loading time so doing seven loads a day made you nine plus hours before you were paid for journey time, anything over eight hours at rate and a half and saturdays the same. Then they sold the transport off and the TM bought the tippers and was forced to keep the same pay scheme. However then two former OD’s came to drive for us, straight away they said that we were on too much money compared to the haulage rates (a lot of the work was to concrete works etc so poorly rated) and companies couldn’t afford time and a half etc as the hauliers got no extra payment for working saturdays. Eventually the new owner told us that he had learned from two drivers that we were being overpaid and the wages then dropped considerably. The two ex OD’s then left as they were not prepared to work for less money and things went steadily downhill from then on.

Pete.

windrush:

ramone:

Pete.

Pete, that driver shortage is nothing to do with the other driver shortage. The driver shortage you’re referring to is the bone idle local council drivers who are all using the NHS T&T app to ensure maximum paid time sat at home “self-isolating” from the covaids.

ramone:

which dhl contract is that,ramone?

ramone:

Seriously? that is taking the ■■■■ and little wonder they need to advertise.

2 x premium days every week, and 1.5 hours premium rate every morning on top, they’re at least £10k out if that’s based on a 48 hour week.

Looking at this in the light of some of the figures being quoted leaves me feeling a little uneasy. The Filthies have imposed a 3.5 % pay increase for nurses and medical staff who I assume are on NHS 12 hr shifts. An increase in drivers wages from £14hr to £25hr is a 78% increase. Now this may be the law of supply and demand but something is seriously wrong here.

cav551:
Looking at this in the light of some of the figures being quoted leaves me feeling a little uneasy. The Filthies have imposed a 3.5 % pay increase for nurses and medical staff who I assume are on NHS 12 hr shifts. An increase in drivers wages from £14hr to £25hr is a 78% increase. Now this may be the law of supply and demand but something is seriously wrong here.

Not sure where you get the £25 hr from tbh? Just had a look on Driverhire website and their rates vary from job to job but this one was one of the first that came up, now I know Driverhire aren’t the best payers but this is why people can’t hire HGV drivers.

uk.indeed.com/cmp/Driver-Hire/j … =&start=0#