Driver Shortage

as a DHL driver,me and the rest of the crew have had a letter through the post,offering us £500 in the ‘Refer a driver’ scheme.we have a number of business cards,and if we can get a non-DHL driver to pass an assessment,we get the money paid into our bank :smiley:

Kempston:

peggydeckboy:
Although nothing to do we me however the only answer it pains me to say GET ORGANISED GET IN THE UNION A TRANSPORT UNION approach the rail unions for guidance ,the underground rail workers even had a day off if they had the covid jab ,yes a day off with pay who new about that ,the union sanctioned it.

would they sit in a rest room waiting to tip with no facilities NO it only takes a few to start the snowball rolling target the food distribution sites and get a proper wage my own person al view.

I’ve said this times but the trouble with lorry drivers is that there’s always some that won’t do it (stand up and say enough is enough) and whilst you have that the management of the bad companies know they need do nothing, they’ll bleet on until the government relaxes the immigration laws to suit their cause, bring in foreign drivers and we’ll be back to square one.

The difference with the train drivers is (my best mate is a train driver) they all stick together or at least used to. My mate has been doing it for around 30 years now and said the new drivers are messing everything up for themselves, pensions, terms and conditions etc. His terms remain the same as they can’t touch them but the new starters haven’t got half the rights of the older drivers. Bob Crow, like him or loathe him makes no difference but he was fantastic for the train drivers.

Some of his conditions you genuinely wouldn’t believe as I had no idea before he told me but it’s exceptional to say the least. He earns around £65,000 per year but doesn’t do extra shifts or any odd shifts anymore but those that do can earn £100,000 per year and there are some that do. I doubt that he’s actually at work for more than around 30 hours a week for that.

I can well believe this. Many years ago, perhaps twenty or more, my bank manager (working for one of the biggest UK banks and managing a major branch), with whom I had an excellent relationship, called me to say that he was taking early retirement. The changing work conditions at the bank had pushed him to this. He told me he was now going to pursue his childhood dream. He was going to be a train driver. And earn a lot more than he had at the bank… I was amazed but it was true. He told me that it was not easy to get in but months of persistence had paid off (literally) for him. I believe London underground drivers earn very well too.

My brother has been a train driver since leaving school and hopefully plans to retire next year at 60 as he has had enough. He works a four day week but usually does an extra day to get weekends off, his wage is good but the stress he has while driving tells on him and he admits that no way would he choose that career again as it has changed a lot over the years and not for the better. He used to enjoy coming in the lorry with me as my working life was a lot more relaxed than his and I got to chat to folk during the day whereas he spent his day alone. He was the driver when the recent record attempt between Euston and Glasgow took place but failed by 21 seconds due to line work being carried out near Carstairs. :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
My brother has been a train driver since leaving school and hopefully plans to retire next year at 60 as he has had enough. He works a four day week but usually does an extra day to get weekends off, his wage is good but the stress he has while driving tells on him and he admits that no way would he choose that career again as it has changed a lot over the years and not for the better. He used to enjoy coming in the lorry with me as my working life was a lot more relaxed than his and I got to chat to folk during the day whereas he spent his day alone. He was the driver when the recent record attempt between Euston and Glasgow took place but failed by 21 seconds due to line work being carried out near Carstairs. :unamused:

Pete.

I read about that run in this month’s Railway Magazine Pete.

Dipster:

Kempston:

peggydeckboy:
Although nothing to do we me however the only answer it pains me to say GET ORGANISED GET IN THE UNION A TRANSPORT UNION approach the rail unions for guidance ,the underground rail workers even had a day off if they had the covid jab ,yes a day off with pay who new about that ,the union sanctioned it.

would they sit in a rest room waiting to tip with no facilities NO it only takes a few to start the snowball rolling target the food distribution sites and get a proper wage my own person al view.

I’ve said this times but the trouble with lorry drivers is that there’s always some that won’t do it (stand up and say enough is enough) and whilst you have that the management of the bad companies know they need do nothing, they’ll bleet on until the government relaxes the immigration laws to suit their cause, bring in foreign drivers and we’ll be back to square one.

The difference with the train drivers is (my best mate is a train driver) they all stick together or at least used to. My mate has been doing it for around 30 years now and said the new drivers are messing everything up for themselves, pensions, terms and conditions etc. His terms remain the same as they can’t touch them but the new starters haven’t got half the rights of the older drivers. Bob Crow, like him or loathe him makes no difference but he was fantastic for the train drivers.

Some of his conditions you genuinely wouldn’t believe as I had no idea before he told me but it’s exceptional to say the least. He earns around £65,000 per year but doesn’t do extra shifts or any odd shifts anymore but those that do can earn £100,000 per year and there are some that do. I doubt that he’s actually at work for more than around 30 hours a week for that.

I can well believe this. Many years ago, perhaps twenty or more, my bank manager (working for one of the biggest UK banks and managing a major branch), with whom I had an excellent relationship, called me to say that he was taking early retirement. The changing work conditions at the bank had pushed him to this. He told me he was now going to pursue his childhood dream. He was going to be a train driver. And earn a lot more than he had at the bank… I was amazed but it was true. He told me that it was not easy to get in but months of persistence had paid off (literally) for him. I believe London underground drivers earn very well too.

I can’t swear to this but I seem to remember my mate telling me the tube drivers are on more.

windrush:

Pete.

Obviously I don’t know what train company your brother works for but my mate works for what was Thameslink, (no idea what they call themselves this week) think the only thing that ■■■■■■ him off are the drug dealers using the train. Otherwise a run down to Brighton and back doesn’t seem to stressful to me. He used to do that run in 6 hours then finished for the day, takes a bit longer now because of the engineering work south of the river but still not even an 8 hour day.

Kempston:

windrush:

Pete.

Obviously I don’t know what train company your brother works for but my mate works for what was Thameslink, (no idea what they call themselves this week) think the only thing that ■■■■■■ him off are the drug dealers using the train. Otherwise a run down to Brighton and back doesn’t seem to stressful to me. He used to do that run in 6 hours then finished for the day, takes a bit longer now because of the engineering work south of the river but still not even an 8 hour day.

Preston to Euston then sometimes back up to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, then back to Preston as a passenger. Travelling at 120 mph most of the way takes it’s toll on concentration.

Tube drivers are very highly paid, London rates for starters plus fringe benefits. Not a job that appeals to everyone though.

Pete.

Remembering the driver has no steering wheel, and trying to work out which lane, and which set of traffic lights applies…
youtu.be/O7hfyN5EvQM

windrush:

Kempston:

windrush:

Pete.

Preston to Euston then sometimes back up to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, then back to Preston as a passenger. Travelling at 120 mph most of the way takes it’s toll on concentration.

Tube drivers are very highly paid, London rates for starters plus fringe benefits. Not a job that appeals to everyone though.

Pete.

Tube drivers are highly paid,especially so on lines where the trains are automatic and they have sod all to do-allegedly.
The Docklands light railway doesn’t need drivers does it??

I always wanted to be a train driver but me eyes weren’t far enough apart.
Sorry,I’ll go away now… :smiley:

Surely this thread has gone on track, it was about truck driver shortage originally so we ought to get out of the sidings & back on the road, Buzzer :smiley: :blush:

See we’ve had some old hagg who doesn’t know her arse from her elbow on the news this morning, calling on the government to relax the immigration laws to allow Eastern European drivers back in, that’s right don’t solve the problems just bring in some cheap labour and keep the peasants where they belong! :imp:

Kempston:
See we’ve had some old hagg who doesn’t know her arse from her elbow on the news this morning, calling on the government to relax the immigration laws to allow Eastern European drivers back in, that’s right don’t solve the problems just bring in some cheap labour and keep the peasants where they belong! :imp:

Perhaps some of the people arriving in the UK on little boats have HGV experience…

Uncontrolled immigration was a key point of Brexit. Now it seems, as it has put us in difficulty, it is not so important. Let them back in says the government. All going according to plan then…

Kempston:

Not sure if you saw Sky News last week but they had a black lady on ranting and raving at Pritti Patel for calling immigrants … wait for it … immigrants . She was outraged at Pritti’s racist language towards these poor outcasts who have had to get out of war torn France asap. The countries gone mad ffs

ramone:

Kempston:

Not sure if you saw Sky News last week but they had a black lady on ranting and raving at Pritti Patel for calling immigrants … wait for it … immigrants . She was outraged at Pritti’s racist language towards these poor outcasts who have had to get out of war torn France asap. The countries gone mad ffs

Yes. I agree. I often think my parents, both involved in WW2, must be spinning in their graves considering the state of the UK nowadays.

Back on topic though I am a little bemused why the industry seems so keen to get cheapo labour back in to the country instead of following the normal reaction to market shortages, which is raise the price. the price in this instance is driver’s wages! And the government are apparently listening to them.

Dipster:

ramone:

Kempston:

Yes. I agree. I often think my parents, both involved in WW2, must be spinning in their graves considering the state of the UK nowadays.

Back on topic though I am a little bemused why the industry seems so keen to get cheapo labour back in to the country instead of following the normal reaction to market shortages, which is raise the price. the price in this instance is driver’s wages! And the government are apparently listening to them.

There’s plenty of jobs near me for “trampers” and night trunking or any 5 from 7 shifts. The wages for trampers range from £30000 to £40000 a year but they dont say this includes overnight money or 13 to 15 hours a day which it does. I read a quote in last weeks CM from a driver , " this 24 hour shopping must stop" which i totally agree with . There are no good jobs up here

ramone:

Dipster:

ramone:

Kempston:

There’s plenty of jobs near me for “trampers” and night trunking or any 5 from 7 shifts. The wages for trampers range from £30000 to £40000 a year but they dont say this includes overnight money or 13 to 15 hours a day which it does. I read a quote in last weeks CM from a driver , " this 24 hour shopping must stop" which i totally agree with . There are no good jobs up here

Absolute rubbish wage when you consider these quoted figures any 5 from 7 so you’ll be working weekends for no extra, they’ll expect you to max your hours, and probably includes your night out money so basically break it down to about £10 per hour if your lucky and they wonder why there’s a driver shortage. ■■■■ poor wages for a load of aggravation from DVSA and every other body trying to nick you for the slightest thing, crap facilities and parking treated like an idiot at most drops it just goes on and on where else do you go to work and you can have all your wages nicked from you for doing your job this industry is an absolute joke

I get jobs emailed every night and its the same companies everytime . Maritime are rsmping it up a bit lately but the usual suspects around here are advertising every day . I want day work monday to friday , nothing doing. Asda are advertising again endless agencies, Morrisons have sold out to Winxanton at Wakefield so that will be anoth job cut up .

After watching some of the BBC morning news it appears that some super market shelves are empty once again this apparently due to ping=demic, what a load of cods wallop. If we were not having a heat wave at this present moment this would not be happening people are swinging the lead for sure and taking advantage of the weather we have just now.
Why is it that the Government have no one in a position to see the real reason for a truck drivers shortage, do away with the totally unnecessary drivers CPC, it is costly and takes a driver out for a whole week and to what benefit, most of these skilled drivers have years of experience in the field so why is it necessary, it is for management only IMHO so delete it.
It is a natural thing for a person to want to be paid the best achievable wage for a weeks work weather it be driving a truck or what ever else, as stated by a nurse interviewed on the BBC she can earn more in a supermarket job than her chosen profession without any of the stress and that’s why the NHS is struggling as nurses are leaving, this scenario is the same in the haulage world in a lot of cases but not all, job satisfaction plays a big part in all of this and I have always been an advocate enjoying what you do to earn a crust, saying this ide rather earn a little less and enjoy what I was doing. There will be some who say they need to earn the highest even if they don’t enjoy the work but not me, driving & transport was my vocation in life and loved every minute of it including the stress factor but now retired it no longer matters.
Moving on to the Northern Ireland issue, when we had Brexit I thought that was the end of Brussel’s giving us orders, OK our Government signed an agroment with the EU and now they are trying to punish us but they are not following the rules either with bottom trawlers working in our protected waters and when caught putting there hand up and saying ooh we did not know, they know alright just a blatant disregard of the rules and its Greenpeace bringing this to the fore, it ought to be a destroyer blowing a hole in the offending trawlers.
While on a roll why have we as tax payers allowed our Government to give the French another 52 million to ease the flow of immigrants to these shores of ours, they must be laughing all the way to the bank and what do they do, ■■■■■■ these dinghy’s full of migrants to British waters, nice money if you can get it. What’s the answer from Government, oh we will stick them in prison for four years at a cost of about a grand a week each, that will do. Why not just load them up and send them back over as they probably cant afford a second go at crossing.
Well had my little rant just sit back and await the flack, lets here what you all think we should do, Buzzer

BUZZER WHAT FLAK,100% right on, consider a move to downing street.