Driver Shortage?

The days of a marxist, communist, share out the work equally workplace, (if that ever even existed) are gone. Whether it’s greedy greyed haired wrinklies or brash young EE’s, if there’s extra work somebody will grab it.
As for £100k being a lot of money, that’s 5 years average living.
It seems hypocritical when, in some posts we say the young aren’t attracted to this work because of the hours. Then grab any extra hours going. I think the young aren’t attracted to this because their work ethic is different to that of their parents. Their gameboys and xboxes are more important to them than a house or a pension.

ETS:
For what it’s worth…there’s too many greedy old geezers (55 and over) who just won’t let go of the honey jar…They want to do all the hours on the top runs (length wise) and get all the £££ they can every single week. When I asked a few ‘‘WHY??’’ as I would probably kill myself if I was 50+ and had to do 50+ hour weeks all the time and I mean ALL the TIME. The responses seem to vary from wife’s spending habits, cause else I’d be bored sitting home, I need the money for holidays/hobbies…If you’re 30 nad trying to make a living at our place you’ll have a hard time unless you’re single and live rent free (own home for example) as you’re pretty much capped on earnings due to aforementioned greedy old b.s.r.s, I mean don’t get me wrong they’re nice guys always happy to help with advice etc. just don’t you dare mention a run swap :unamused: Anyway if you’re young and reasonably fit there are better paying jobs out there with a much higher rate per hour AND more hours/OT available like construction etc. or put in some time and learn a proper trade where you’ll earn twice more than hgv drivers and probably work fewer hours.

And before the hours-obsessed crowd gets all jumpy I’m not saying drivers ‘‘should’’ work 50 hr weeks obviously doesn’t suit everyone but if you’re 20-25-30 and have the need for ££ to get ahead financially like put down money for mortgage or pay for wedding/honeymoon etc. kids future fund maybe understandable if you want to push it for a couple years or three? But if you’re in your late 50s or even over 60 (yes we have those too) and willingly max out hours/days because at that point in life you STILL haven’t got your shed in order money wise or still haven’t found ‘‘anything to do at home’’, well that’s just sad.

What guff ye spout,you could die at 19 at 30 at 45 at 59 etc ,you are only as old as the day you die.

What about the 50 plus guy whose wife took his house kids etc in a divorce,you sound like you think you are entitled pal.
Nobody gets out alive ! Get your own gravy and stop moaning about older guys getting theirs ffs ,years mean nothing if you still need the cash.
Just wtf… :unamused:

You enter the world with nothing. You leave it with nothing.
While I’m here I want to earn as much as possible. I’m 50 and hungry as ever for £.

We’ve all seen the articles in the media, BBC and ITV news, the various talking heads from the RHA and the food trade associations, parroting the usual dire warnings of empty shelves in the supermarkets etc, demanding HMG reverse their policy and allow Eastern European drivers to work in the UK by rebranding the job as a skilled profession (pah ha ha!) but has anyone on here seen or experienced any shortage of food, especially fresh foods, they keep banging on about? I’m not hearing anything about it in the North West.
I’m sure the government will be at pains to help them, especially pointing out that if the RHA and their members had made sure the industry was an attractive place to spend your career in over the last two decades instead of ruthless exploitation of a vast pool of cheap Eastern European labour, then they wouldn’t find themselves in a situation where nobody wants to do the job, in short, “it’s your mess, you sort it”

bigdave789:
We’ve all seen the articles in the media, BBC and ITV news, the various talking heads from the RHA and the food trade associations, parroting the usual dire warnings of empty shelves in the supermarkets etc, demanding HMG reverse their policy and allow Eastern European drivers to work in the UK by rebranding the job as a skilled profession (pah ha ha!) but has anyone on here seen or experienced any shortage of food, especially fresh foods, they keep banging on about? I’m not hearing anything about it in the North West.

I went shopping at Tesco in Northwich a few hours ago and yes, there were plenty of empty spaces in the fresh food aisles.

Harry Monk:

bigdave789:

I went shopping at Tesco in Northwich a few hours ago and yes, there were plenty of empty spaces in the fresh food aisles.

Come on Harry it’s Saturday and the shelves would have been stripped in the morning

Sent while from gods know where

blue estate:

Harry Monk:

bigdave789:

Come on Harry it’s Saturday and the shelves would have been stripped in the morning

When I go shopping there are normally staff (treated better, and paid better than us drivers apparently :smiley:) who replenish said shelves. There might be a gap or two, but normally filled quickly. Haven`t been shopping this week yet, so no comment about state stocks.

Franglais:

blue estate:

Harry Monk:

bigdave789:

I go shopping at about 8to 9 am in my local Tesco’s and they’re filling up the shelves then as it’s only a supermarket size not an Extra
When I go shopping there are normally staff (treated better, and paid better than us drivers apparently :smiley:) who replenish said shelves. There might be a gap or two, but normally filled quickly. Haven`t been shopping this week yet, so no comment about state stocks.

Not seeing any shortages of fresh food in Widnes but then again playing the fruit machine is considered part of your “five a day” in this town

Harry Monk:

bigdave789:

This is nothing to the fake driver shortage hoax. It’s everything to do with the global supply chains disruption such as farmers not able to get feed for their stock and on/off lockdowns in countries where the container ports are, causing massive delays and shipping costs higher than the value of the actual produce. The Ice Age Farmer youtube channel has been covering this in great detail for years.

bigdave789:
Not seeing any shortages of fresh food in Widnes but then again playing the fruit machine is considered part of your “five a day” in this town

Laugh.png

blue estate:

Harry Monk:

But Saturday afternoon has normally been when I do my weekly shop and going back 5-10 years there wouldn’t have been the lack of lines that I saw today because there would have been a delivery around mid-day and the shelves would have been re-stocked.

eagerbeaver:

bigdave789:

Made me laugh too. I’m stealing it. :smiley:

The shelves in Penzance Lidls have been barren for the last couple of weeks - about 10% of normal when I’ve been in on Saturday afternoons.

Part of this may be down to the Costa Del ■■■■ Up Crew coming to Cornwall instead of Spain, which has increased our population in Cornwall by 50% since Half term, but in past Visitor seasons, shelves have been reasonably well-stocked & most outlets are prepared well in advance for the ‘Barbarian Hordes’

Something isn’t working !!

Lidl Bridgend, subbies were paying 31000 a year now it’s 41000 a year

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

how much of this “food shortage” is down to lack of drivers are the pallets really mounting up in the rdc’s waiting to go to the supermarkets? or is it a case of lack of staff in the rdc’s

cooper1203:
how much of this “food shortage” is down to lack of drivers are the pallets really mounting up in the rdc’s waiting to go to the supermarkets? or is it a case of lack of staff in the rdc’s

According to this it’s a driver supply problem. Obviously this might not be true.

inews.co.uk/news/consumer/tesco … is-1057834

Harry Monk:

cooper1203:

According to this it’s a driver supply problem. Obviously this might not be true.

inews.co.uk/news/consumer/tesco … is-1057834

well all i can say is that when i worked at an rdc in sittingborne as a picker there were prob 40-50 lorry loads going out a day so the 2 a week in the article is small beer.

This time it’s for real. Maybe. I watched Politics South West and their interesting discussion re driver shortages a few moments ago. It included an ironic contribution from the boss of Gregories (ironic in terms of them being one of the lowest payers in the area). It was a well balanced article if you get the chance to watch it.

My wage has just gone up as my employer got a whiff of dissent in the ranks, and bumped up the wage to keep up with the competition. A brief search on the net at jobs tells me there is, for once, some jobs which I would be interested in, not just the usual chaff you see advertised.

Meanwhile in Driffield…

Haulage company advertising on local Facebook page wanting lorry drivers for bulk blower and harvest work, £10.50/hr.

Local Indian Takeaway has just advertised for a permanent delivery driver, £15/hr.

Any guesses for who isn’t still looking for a driver? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: