Driver shortage...for how long?

I see Arla have thrown their hat into ring regarding the driver shortage.

Is this not the same company that transferred all their full time drivers to “Moran logistics” and the drivers were not happy about it. Sometimes shortsighted decisions come back to bite you on your arse.

Sixties boy:

Is this not the same company that transferred all their full time drivers to “Moran logistics” and the drivers were not happy about it. Sometimes shortsighted decisions come back to bite you on your arse.

The firm I work for “re-assigned” eleven drivers at the beginning of the pandemic instead of looking ahead and riding the furlough train and it’s caused serious issues that wouldn’t be there if certain management had looked further than the end of the month.
There are people in charge at these firms who are incompetent.

Sixties boy:

Arla (and all their agency suppliers) have had permament ads on Indeed to do store milk deliveries out of Leeds for as long as I can remember. Like most store delivery work, it’s a ball-ache of a job and as they pay the same as you can get for trunking 26 pallets of beans to a Tesco RDC, it is of course no surprise that no-one wants to do it. As I said in the other thread, all those store delivery jobs need to be starting at £20/hr minimum to even vaguely interest drivers. Offering the same as you can get elsewhere for not even breaking a sweat, they have no chance.

I wonder how long it will be until the BBC headlines about supermarket milk shortages? Naturally will be blamed on driver shortages when it’s not the case at all and simply that drivers prefer to work elsewhere for an easier life.

The issue is the average age of truck drivers which must be like 50+
A lot of 50+ people employed have kind of moved past the manual labour phase of their life. Its why most warehouse employees doing the grunt work are in their 20/30s. Most builders the grunt work is done by the younger guys.

Expecting a 50+ year old driver who spends most of his time sitting on his bum is asking for a lot.

No doubt many drivers are capable of emptying a trailer by themselves but when there is easier work out there why bother?

Rjan:

JeffA:
Alan law couldnt exist today - it like saying what we need is another arthur scargill - the balance of power today is so one sided a 70s union guy couldnt even comprehend it.

The difference in the 70s is that you still had a majority of fellas around who’d fought the war, concerned themselves with politics, and stood together. They threw up such figures like Scargill and Law, and many more, to fight for their interests, instead of opting for slow decline under “moderates”.

When Scargill took the miners out on strike for a year to defend their industry from total closure and offshoring, he probably expected something similar to the 70s when the government fell.

Instead, by the 80s, not even the miners stood together. Too many thought their pits would be safe. In the end, they all hanged separately in the years following, as did the entire trade union movement.

Now their grandkids spend tens of thousands on an education then work making sandwiches and serving coffee for minimum wage.

All my family were miners.
The big difference between miners and truck drivers.
Truck drivers have alot more power if they stood together.
Maybe 3 or 4 days on strike would bring the country to it’s knees in every possible way.

Themoocher:
Maybe 3 or 4 days on strike would bring the country to it’s knees in every possible way.

Nope. The industry is too fragmented and drivers only care about themselves. Just give up all this talk of strikes and unions. It’s never going to happen. Ever.

Themoocher:

Rjan:

JeffA:
Alan law couldnt exist today - it like saying what we need is another arthur scargill - the balance of power today is so one sided a 70s union guy couldnt even comprehend it.

The difference in the 70s is that you still had a majority of fellas around who’d fought the war, concerned themselves with politics, and stood together. They threw up such figures like Scargill and Law, and many more, to fight for their interests, instead of opting for slow decline under “moderates”.

When Scargill took the miners out on strike for a year to defend their industry from total closure and offshoring, he probably expected something similar to the 70s when the government fell.

Instead, by the 80s, not even the miners stood together. Too many thought their pits would be safe. In the end, they all hanged separately in the years following, as did the entire trade union movement.

Now their grandkids spend tens of thousands on an education then work making sandwiches and serving coffee for minimum wage.

Or the opposite could happen . Drivers all out on strike could promt the Govt to open up the borders and let in anyone who wants a job driving . Minimum wage , no jobs for “locals” .After all who would want a crowd of scruffy , smelly drivers to have the upper hand . I wager the government would do exactly what they did to the miners , break them and then make sure they could never rise up again and upset the apple cart again .

DCPCFML:

Themoocher:

Nope. The industry is too fragmented and drivers only care about themselves. Just give up all this talk of strikes and unions. It’s never going to happen. Ever.

I’m well aware it’s never going to happen
everyone is always out for them selfs
Capitalism at its finest
No power for the workers and make as much profit as possible for private wallets.
It’s like working people have been brainwashed into this nonsense. where your better of alone instead of having a organisation looking after your interests and standing together for better conditions and pay.

beefy4605:

Themoocher:

Rjan:

JeffA:

Or the opposite could happen . Drivers all out on strike could promt the Govt to open up the borders and let in anyone who wants a job driving . Minimum wage , no jobs for “locals” .After all who would want a crowd of scruffy , smelly drivers to have the upper hand . I wager the government would do exactly what they did to the miners , break them and then make sure they could never rise up again and upset the apple cart again .

I don’t think so myself
They don’t have enough time with Truck drivers it’s a totally different ball game.
Few days and it would break.

What exactly are the going to do to punish a truck driver
Make them work 70 hours a week on a tenner a hour
3 15 hour shift and 2 13 hour shift and every other sat
O wait that’s the industry standard for most companies

DCPCFML:

Winseer:
Once full timers reach that tipping point when they all resign en-masse, not senior enough to make it worth hanging on for a redundancy package, which will unlikely ever come… To go and earn near double what they were earning in their “secure job” that “mustn’t be chucked in this economy, as there’s simply no demand for drivers out there at the moment.”…

Keep taking whatever strong medication you’re on.

Didn’t your mother ever tell you “If you’ve got nothing decent to say - STFU”?

All the years the ■■■■ has involved not paying for breaks, no time and a half, daily rate for huge hours, and lots more of things and now we think we are in the driving seat
Not a hope, as long has you have people who can’t get a half decent job and that counts for a lot of truck drivers you will always get bums on seats
It’s the agencys who ruined it, if they were done away with you would bring the business to its knees,
They are the scum of the business providing people who otherwise couldn’t get a half decent job, flooding the market with people who have little experience
Solving a temporary solution that suits the employers even if it cost more
It’s only a temporary crisis, any deal you get will have a clause that it’s only for 6 months
I know they are providing a service but it’s like how the world turns, too much and its undervalued and cheap at the price also very little overheads and lots of lies,

JeffA:

ETS:

JeffA:
So you think in two years they will all be paying minimum wage again? Wouldnt that cause another driver shortage?

Wont ir35 put off east europeans when they can earn a fiver an hour more in Europe?

Can you think of any other jobs this has happened in? When plumbers started earning more did more people become plumbers so rates fell back lower?
[/quote. I don’t see HGV driving as a unique profession… I think there are plenty of people here willing to drop whetever they’re doing (picking/packing, laboring, sitting at home, tending gardens/bars etc. etc.) and borrow £1500 on their credit card for a week’s course to get their class 2 license and start earning, say £15 an hour. So far we’ve seen the gov’t playing along and trying to ‘‘help’’ by relaxing hours, planning to eliminate class 2 license so straight to class 1 who knows what else they’re going to come up with but they’re definitely not pro-status quo as it is now with soaring wages, that’ll put even further pressure on prices (if bosses are to be believed) and they don’t want that

Hgv driving is unique in the sense its the only profession I can think of in this position. I dont think its as attractive as you might think - shelling out thousands is very offputting to the vast majority.

And in 10 years automated trucks will put them all on the scrapheap anyway.

:open_mouth:
There are not many experienced HGV drivers that can also code software…

What could possibly go wrong, should the “Program” for these automated trucks - be written by some green-as-grass graduate who likely doesn’t even know how to use a lawnmower? :open_mouth:

When writing software for kit that needs to respond as close to “instantaneously” as possible:

The code needs to be efficient, using as few processor cycles as possible to run, rather than be spaghetti-written code that runs slower, but is easier to write… Not to mention “can be written by a complete amateur” on top…

Someone like an Aerospace Engineer should be writing such code then - NOT some 20-something who simply doesn’t have the hard-and-fast experience of “physics on the road” that comes from driving for years whilst also working at an Aerospace lab, rather than a car factory…

“Driver” software that we install on our PCs - is specially written to NOT be long-winded in it’s running.
You cannot have a software routine, for example that draws data off a hard drive written in slow-running code. It has to be a short piece of machine code that runs as a “Non-Maskable Interrupt” routine. Any hanging about, and the spinning disk surface with the bit of data ready to be read off… Has moved on, and another revolution of the disk is required before that piece of data is ready again IF the code cannot read it off quick enough.

Self-Driving vehicles - need faster-running software then, or the sensor providing data quickly - won’t be enough to prevent a vehicle from simply plowing into some bystander who is unware that a machine running slow code essentially is a death trap.

DCPCFML:

Not amongst drivers such as yourself it won’t so you are quite right there. As a union member I take advantage of better rates, terms and conditions and a whole host of other benifits. Non union members take advantage of reaping the rewards that union members pay and stand for. It is quite simple really, you only see the rates as they are for you, if it wasn’t for the union members you would be working for £5 p/h if unions did not exist at all.

Yorkshire Tramper:
if it wasn’t for the union members you would be working for £5 p/h.

You’ve posted some crap over the past few months pal but that has to be the biggest piece of crap you’ve come out with!

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Yorkshire Tramper:

You’ve posted some crap over the past few months pal but that has to be the biggest piece of crap you’ve come out with!

Thanks, I think the same way with you tbh, youre just insignificant as far as I am concerned

Yorkshire Tramper:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Thanks, I think the same way with you tbh, youre just insignificant as far as I am concerned

I can’t be that insignificant, you can’t resist the urge to reply to me.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Yorkshire Tramper:

I can’t be that insignificant, you can’t resist the urge to reply to me.

Dont mind answering you, it is just that you’re comments are insignificant to me as it goes. You have an opinion and so do I.

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:

Not amongst drivers such as yourself it won’t so you are quite right there. As a union member I take advantage of better rates, terms and conditions and a whole host of other benifits. Non union members take advantage of reaping the rewards that union members pay and stand for. It is quite simple really, you only see the rates as they are for you, if it wasn’t for the union members you would be working for £5 p/h if unions did not exist at all.

Put down the union pipe and don’t talk crap please :unamused: . This is an outright lie and you know it. With the exception of RM, none of the places I have worked at in 25 years have had an in-house union and I have had no problem finding work at rates that are to my liking. It’s called a having a pair of balls and a tongue in your head and not being afraid to use them when they try to take the ■■■■. Sadly it’s schmucks like you who don’t have the balls so instead you pay someone £15 per month to say “no” for you.

DCPCFML:

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:

Put down the union pipe and don’t talk crap please :unamused: . This is an outright lie and you know it. With the exception of RM, none of the places I have worked at in 25 years have had an in-house union and I have had no problem finding work at rates that are to my liking. It’s called a having a pair of balls and a tongue in your head and not being afraid to use them when they try to take the ■■■■. Sadly it’s schmucks like you who don’t have the balls so instead you pay someone £15 per month to say “no” for you.

Mate you need to put ur crack pipe down
The only time what your saying has worked is the past 6 months.
Before that if you wernt happy you would have been told to get on your bike and I will get someone else to do the job.
If 30 drivers work for a haulage company and are one mouth and agree to something it’s alot more power than one winging gob ■■■■■ wanting a pay rise. like I says the only time in the past 20 years it would work is now.
Why do you think they got rid of unions in pretty much every workforce?
when it’s done properly they have to much power and the capitalist don’t like the workforce having a say.

DCPCFML:

Mate don’t make out that you have balls and are shouting the odds, you are an agency driver, they offer you work at a certain rate, you either take it or leave it. No balls needed. Please don’t suggest that being a member of a union or that working for a company that recognises a union is a waste of time.You stick to agency work and good luck with you’re rates in 6 months time. I however will still be on my contract regardless of what happens, You get no benefits whatsoever other than say when you want to work. When you don’t work you don’t get paid so not really a great situation is it. Always makes me laugh when I hear drivers saying that they have a tongue and don’t need a union. Realistically that means they say ■■■■ all and take crap wages and are run ragged. Yes sir no sir types.