Driver Shortage (Actually Yes)

Passenger saves accident!

A passenger steered a bus to safety after the driver collapsed at the wheel in Manchester city centre.

Fitness instructor Alex Jenkins managed to move Arriva’s 263 service from the path of pedestrians when he realised something was wrong.

The bus stopped when it hit a parking meter on Princess Street and no-one was seriously injured.

Arriva has sent its “sincere thanks” to Mr Jenkins and said the 73-year-old driver was recovering.

“The first time I knew something was wrong was when we collided with a 4x4,” Mr Jenkins said.

"I tried looking for the keys or handbrake but I couldn’t find anything so, that’s when I thought I will have to pull us in to the kerb and try to avoid all the people.

“It was 9am in the morning so there were a lot of people stood at the bus stop and we were heading pretty much straight for them.”

If it is a misprint, it is an embarrassing one :blush:

I watched this on the local news this evening, they definatley said the driver was 73 and also said he would have had to have medicals for his PSV, I also think he may have been a little old for that sort of job, I also know a few 70odd year old blokes in fine strengh and body, so iam not writing blokes of that age off, I just think its a little old to be doing full time work.I also rember reading news reports last year about increasing the retirment age to 70years because we are all living longer and because of the pension crisis.

chester:
I watched this on the local news this evening, they definatley said the driver was 73 and also said he would have had to have medicals for his PSV, I also think he may have been a little old for that sort of job, I also know a few 70odd year old blokes in fine strengh and body, so iam not writing blokes of that age off, I just think its a little old to be doing full time work.I also rember reading news reports last year about increasing the retirment age to 70years because we are all living longer and because of the pension crisis.

I don’t think we should write fit healthy drivers off either, there is a post on here about Tony Bradfield who is in his mid 70’s and still doing Morocco. But as a bus driver? who has to gain the public’s trust!

There are dozens of drivers on here who cannot get the start, because of lack of experience or lack of 2 years with a class one. The daft thing is 2 years after passing your test you can get a start, 2 years with never sitting in another truck :confused:

My uncle (sadly no longer with us :cry: ) carried on driving well into his 70’s he moved over from car transporters to the buses as the chaining up got too much but not much of that driving a bus :laughing: he always said as long as he was fit to drive he would carry on so I don’t see age as an issue as long as all meds and such are passed.

hiya,
Wheel Nut, i’m 73 and quite happy to use my bus pass to ride behind the driver would’nt like to think that they was 73 as well,a bit ancient to have all that responsobility methinks, a pal of mine not quite retiring age but having to have regular medicals fell ill returning from Germany got his motor home and died several hours later in the ambulance en-route to hospital, dread to think what would have happened had he been delayed at some point, dragging 44 tons about has a lot of responsobility too, my friend had only just passed his nescessary medical to get his HGV licence renewed.
thanks harry long retired.