Driver recruitment

We have been advertising for a couple of class 1 drivers in N E Lincs but nobody seems too interested? We pay above the regional rate, have new trucks and really easy, clean work. Has anyone else had similar experiences, thought there was a lack of jobs about?

MIKEHOCKSARD:
We have been advertising for a couple of class 1 drivers in N E Lincs but nobody seems too interested? We pay above the regional rate, have new trucks and really easy, clean work. Has anyone else had similar experiences, thought there was a lack of jobs about?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57227&start=0

We have 2 position for Class 1 drivers for day and night work from Goole. Maximum 6 points, good rates of pay for the best drivers, must be flexible, reliable and customer focused. Contact Malcolm 07984 625554.Weekend work also available Not an agency

Nice advert but lacking on a few specifics like rates of pay, average hours, type of work etc
A landline number is always uesful as well… :bulb:

thats a well dodgy user name mike, but it is funny :laughing:

Money Money Money.
If the above is above the average you should get guy’s no problem. Worked at a company who struggled to get drivers who would work for the money and stay. They spent lots of money training guys for them to leave three months in. It got that bad that every guy that filled an application form in got a job but didn’t stay. When they put the money up by £1.50 an hour they were snowed under with applicants, they could then cherry pick the good guys and they all stayed.
Their training bills and costs for uniform and checking drivers reduced considerably as the turnover of drivers reduced. Which more than covered the extra wage paid.

i dont know who you are or your firm mike, maybe your firm has a bit of reputation… i dont know like i said i dont know who you are.

what firm is it. :question:

Employers that write in ads “good rates of pay” always end up being ■■■■■ rates of pay because they are so out of touch with what actually is a good rate of pay. If it’s any less than £8/hr with at least time 1.33 after 8hrs then it isn’t a ‘good’ rate of pay for Lincs.

I agree with all the above, but would like to place emphasis, on the fact that while there seems to be a shortage jobs, there never seems to be a shortage of haulage companies who don’t know their a%%e from their elbow, “It’s only two inches on the map, what do you mean you’re not there yet?”/“Of course you can run over your hours, we have a special dispensation from the local TC”/Or as once happened at a company I used to work at before they (unsurprisingly) went bust, an accountant who had too much influence called Mercedes to tell them that they did not require fifth wheels on the new vehicles they’d ordered (they duly arrived without them, doh). This may or may not apply to you, mike, but as the others have already said, who are you representing and of course what’s your landline number? Put that in your advert and you may reap rewards.

I thought this is supposed to be a forum, I specifically asked if people have had similar experiences? As a matter of interest, It’s supermarket work and trunking mostly, I pay £8.40 per hour days and £9.50 per hour nights. Nobody will have heard of my company because we don’t run in our own colours. It’s very easy work and average 10-14 hours daily.

MIKEHOCKSARD:
I thought this is supposed to be a forum, I specifically asked if people have had similar experiences? As a matter of interest, It’s supermarket work and trunking mostly, I pay £8.40 per hour days and £9.50 per hour nights. Nobody will have heard of my company because we don’t run in our own colours. It’s very easy work and average 10-14 hours daily.

Don’t get shirty, yes this is a forum, hence the replies :unamused:

I thought this is supposed to be a forum

It is precisely because it is a forum that “discussions” often take a different course than what the original poster intended. Now some may view your initial 3 posts as celeverly disguised advertising for drivers, (others may think they where not so clever and a tad blatent :slight_smile: ) However the effort was made by yourself to attempt to engage in discussion so the posts were not removed.

Now if that discussion take a turn that does not appeal, or fit in with your original intentions, then perhaps simply placing an advert may have beena better option for you.

Alternatively you could do what quite a few companies are now doing, respond to the questions, be positive rather than negative and find that the people here respond better to that approach.

I hope that you will continue to join in and participate on the forums in all areas, not just those that may benefit yourselves.

MIKEHOCKSARD:

THIS IS WHY many are sceptical when the type of job and the rates are not forthcoming…

I think (not sure) that there were a few more LGV jobs in your general area that were offering a wage that was very near to the minimum wage for CE drivers

I am sure that the wage you are offering for that type of work will get many takers especially if you are prepared to give a newbie a chance :bulb: :smiley: - perhaps your advertising strategy needs looking at :question:

[quote=“MIKEHOCKSARD” Nobody will have heard of my company because we don’t run in our own colours. It’s very easy work and average 10-14 hours daily.[/quote]
Stobart :question: :question:

Rikki-UK:
Alternatively you could do what quite a few companies are now doing, respond to the questions, be positive rather than negative and find that the people here respond better to that approach.

I PM’d MIKEHOCKSARD a question and he was both prompt and helpful with his reply. Maybe there’s some crossed wires in this thread.

Don’t see the problem, the op asked if any other employers were having problems recruiting drivers, after all, jobs are thin on the ground, you’d have thought they would have received a good response, ( depending on where the vacancies are advertised ). Drivers are by nature a strange breed, maybe they don’t like supermarket work, or they want to be the only person to pilot the truck, who knows? The thing is, the guy has advertised for a couple of drivers, and fair play to him, even more so for divulging on an internet forum the rates on offer, it’s then been suggested that his company may have a bad reputation, hence not being able to attract drivers. I bet he’s now wondering why he bothered, best of luck pal.

pete-b:
Don’t see the problem, the op asked if any other employers were having problems recruiting drivers, after all, jobs are thin on the ground, you’d have thought they would have received a good response, ( depending on where the vacancies are advertised ). Drivers are by nature a strange breed, maybe they don’t like supermarket work, or they want to be the only person to pilot the truck, who knows? The thing is, the guy has advertised for a couple of drivers, and fair play to him, even more so for divulging on an internet forum the rates on offer, it’s then been suggested that his company may have a bad reputation, hence not being able to attract drivers. I bet he’s now wondering why he bothered, best of luck pal.

Thanks for that, was beginning to wonder why I had! We have only advertised in the Job Centre for these positions, where before we have put an advert in the paper and had a very good response, to the point that I couldnt face any more phone calls about the job. The Job Centre to their credit have paid for an advert now in the local paper. I have added another vehicle so that’s why I’m recruiting again, we have quite good staff retention.

MIKEHOCKSARD:
…before we have put an advert in the paper and had a very good response, to the point that I couldnt face any more phone calls about the job…

So why this thread to begin with :question:

MIKEHOCKSARD:
Thanks for that, was beginning to wonder why I had! We have only advertised in the Job Centre for these positions, where before we have put an advert in the paper and had a very good response, to the point that I couldnt face any more phone calls about the job. The Job Centre to their credit have paid for an advert now in the local paper. I have added another vehicle so that’s why I’m recruiting again, we have quite good staff retention.

The Job centre is maybe why you had so many problems, I´ve always looked in the local paper or internet for jobs or got them through word of mouth. Maybe the jobs at the job centre are seen as the one they can´t fill by normal means, and having seen some posted on here from time to time I can see why. But hope fully now you´ve got it in the paper and advertised the conditions and rates of pay you´ll get some decent drivers apply.

I just thought there were loads of people unemployed and they would look at The Job Centre as much as anywhere else? There is supposed to be a recession afterall, we hear everyday that the haulage industry is suffering from lower volumes and people now on 4 day weeks to spread the work out. Perhaps things aren’t as bad as they make out?

I am not sure I remember Hockshard’s in Goole but any advert without a landline or some clue who the company is isn’t going to get a response from me.

Does Eric Hunt still work for you Mike?

The reason I don’t advertise a landline is that I don’t have one!