Driver on the phone

Tonight on the M25 I nearly had the front of my motor taken out by some pillock of a driver in a silver daf xf 105. He pulled straight out no indication and if i hadnt have braked im sure the back of his trailer would have caught me.
Then when I get up the side of him he looks at me with the phone up against his ear has if i’ve commited an offence.
Why cant these people buy a bloody bluetooth ear piece. At least then they maybe able to use both hands to control there vehicle.
I dread to think what could have happened if he did actually clip my motor. :imp: :imp:

I find with car drivers on the phone if you give the tralier a little wiggle towards them when they are level with your trailer wheels they tend to notice no matter how into their conversation they are.

always gets me why people inicate from the slip road when poining a motorway… because where else they gonna go?? :laughing: :laughing:
as for the phones i saw a member from here yesterday, with his phone almost against the drivers window, when rang him to ask if hes blind cus he never saw me, and what his phone was doing, he just said reading a text :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just like the driver from M&D Torrington last week. M5 junc 27, in the wrong lane around the roundabout with the phone stuck to his ear. As the muppet uses the road a lot you would have thought he would remember VOSA are always about in that area.

dazaster:
always gets me why people inicate from the slip road when poining a motorway… because where else they gonna go?? :laughing: :laughing:

It’s the law: if you changing the lane, you have to indicate.

And also: there are some slip roads which become a normal lane later, or just go straight into slip-out road for next junction.

If I drive behind you and you are on slip road, I can’t see forward if the slip road finishes or goes to another lane.

I’ve heard a few lorry drivers saying that if wagons aren’t indicating to join the motorway, they don’t drop back to let them in.

chris_89:
I’ve heard a few lorry drivers saying that if wagons aren’t indicating to join the motorway, they don’t drop back to let them in.

That’s what I would do if I don’t knew the junction - I would simply assume that they are willing to stay on the left lane which starts from their slip road.

This driver was not joining the motorway at the time. he was on the near side lane and i was in the middle lane over taking the truck that was behind him and virtually in line with the back of the trailer.
If a vehicle is coming onto the motorway or D.Carriageway I always pull over or slow up to let them in providing its safe to do so, whether their indicating or not.

Had the classic one the other day, 7.5 tonner dawdling along at 50 so I start to overtake, guy chatting away on the phone, get about 3/4 past when he hangs up and puts his foot down, but instead of letting me back in he starts slowly creeping up the inside :imp:

Unlucky for him we were coming up on a slower lorry, realising he wasn’t gonna get in front he put the indicator on in the faint hope I might let him out, fat chance, the door was kept firmly shut, kept him boxed in til the top of Reigate Hill where I let the truck run abit and left him :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice one Graham :laughing: :laughing:

orys:

dazaster:

And also: there are some slip roads which become a normal lane later, or just go straight into slip-out road for next junction.

If I drive behind you and you are on slip road, I can’t see forward if the slip road finishes or goes to another lane.

I would like to see what law that is, because I can’t find it anywhere

I just get alongside and hold my hand on the horn this usually gets the message across ( I also do the same when passing lay bys full of caravans in the early hours :smiley: )

jimti:

orys:

dazaster:
always gets me why people inicate from the slip road when poining a motorway…

‘…It’s the law: if you changing the lane, you have to indicate…’

‘… I would like to see what law that is, because I can’t find it anywhere…’

It’s still there, although evidently amended out of the Motorway ‘blah’ bit in the Highway Code - but is covered by:

In the Highway Code is written/:
'…103.
Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see ‘Signals to other road users’), of your intended actions. You should always:
Give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time

Use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
cancel them after use…’
[/quote]
And this nugget of a gem:
> In the Highway Code is written/:
> ‘…Use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority…’

Anyway, ‘Highway Code’? Are we sure? Don’t make me laaaarf.

In conjunction with no plod to manage today’s happy, polite & contented motorist at play/asleep on the road, it has become more like a Highway Joke Book giving carte blanche to do as you please - though it suits me when I’m biggest.

So if I pull back into lane one , from lane two ,after an overtake , then fail to indicate , I’m breaking the law right ■■

I think not Orys :wink: :wink:

mike68:
I just get alongside and hold my hand on the horn this usually gets the message across ( I also do the same when passing lay bys full of caravans in the early hours :smiley: )

:grimacing: Thumbs up !

So, the next time I’m towing the caravan at night , it’s OK for me to do the same to HGV’s in the laybys?

Thanks guys , I’ll remember that!

It isnt against the law not to indicate to join a DC, motorway. It is rude though if you dont when a vehicle is close enough to care.

Truckers should know better than to use a mobile while driving and the punishment should be atleast 6 points.

Happy Keith:

jimti:

orys:

dazaster:
always gets me why people inicate from the slip road when poining a motorway…

‘…It’s the law: if you changing the lane, you have to indicate…’

‘… I would like to see what law that is, because I can’t find it anywhere…’

It’s still there, although evidently amended out of the Motorway ‘blah’ bit in the Highway Code - but is covered by:

In the Highway Code is written/:
'…103.
Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see ‘Signals to other road users’), of your intended actions. You should always:
Give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time

Use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
cancel them after use…’
[/quote]
And this nugget of a gem:
> In the Highway Code is written/:
> ‘…Use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority…’

Anyway, ‘Highway Code’? Are we sure? Don’t make me laaaarf.

In conjunction with no plod to manage today’s happy, polite & contented motorist at play/asleep on the road, it has become more like a Highway Joke Book giving carte blanche to do as you please - though it suits me when I’m biggest.

Sorrry, but that is just “the code”, there is a section on law at the back of the highway code, but no mention of having to signal in that part of the book

shade:

So if I pull back into lane one , from lane two ,after an overtake , then fail to indicate , I’m breaking the law right ■■

In most civilised countries yes, and it’s clearly marked in their highway codes. In British highway code, as it was shown above, it’s not so explicite, but still if you doing some maneuvre (and you are doing if you changing lanes) you should check your mirrors, signal your intentions and then do the maneuvre.

It’s typical for British law (which is very uncommon for Europe) that you have many things you “should” do rather than “have to”. But off course if you won’t signal changing lanes in empty motorway somewhere in Germany, Poland, France or whatever, you won’t be booked for that as well.

shade:

not sure about UK, but in most European countries you have to indicate (also when changing lanes). You probably won’t get fined for not doing so, but it can be added to something else you’ve done.

Anyway, I thought that the UK’s Road Traffic Act refers to Highway Code such that it puts it on par with law… but apparently not.
This discussion prompted me to read a bit. Road Traffic Act of 1988, section 38:
“(7) A failure on the part of a person to observe a provision of the Highway Code shall not of itself render that person liable to criminal proceedings of any kind but any such failure may in any proceedings (whether civil or criminal, and including proceedings for an offence under the Traffic Acts, the [1981 c. 14.] Public Passenger Vehicles Act 1981 or sections 18 to 23 of the [1985 c. 67.] Transport Act 1985) be relied upon by any party to the proceedings as tending to establish or negative any liability which is in question in those proceedings.”

In other words, ignoring the Highway Code is absolutely OK - right up to the point somebody or something gets hurt.
Well, that explains why so many drive like if they never heard of some traffic rules and why the police take no interest in them…