Driver on the phone

HomoFaber:
In other words, ignoring the Highway Code is absolutely OK - right up to the point somebody or something gets hurt.
Well, that explains why so many drive like if they never heard of some traffic rules and why the police take no interest in them…

Actually this bit is similar to everywhere else.

You can walk on red light in Paris, bump into a policeman and he’ll tell you only “Pardon”.

But if you force some car to brake suddenly because you entered pedestrian crossing on the left - this will be different.

When the cars crash because of you - then you are in real troubles :slight_smile:

But my observations are similar when it’s about UK roads.

Lot of things are left to driver’s common sense. Unfortunately some of them have not enaugh of it.
Example from my own yard: one of my neighbours still parks his transit van right at the corner of our street, blocking the view for the cars trying to join traffic on the main, quite busy road. I asked him if he can park few metres down the road, but he said he’s not breaking the law. Maybe not, but it’s obvious that he’s posing a danger as cars can’t leave my street safely due to not seeing if the road is free…

In that situation I would prefere clear rule saying “you can’t park close to the junction” (in Poland it’s, if I remember correctly, 10 metres for cars and 15 metres for bigger vehicles…

I had a private discussion on the subject above (indicating) with one of the members, who claimed that indicating changing lanes always is good for newbies, but “good drivers don’t have to do it all the time, as they can judge if that will benefit other road users”. I asked what if they will make a mistake? In that situation indicating can save me from crashing into the vehicle suddenly changing lanes or at least give me chance to inform vehicle’s driver of my presence by flashing my lights or using the horn. The answer was a bit scary for me: “Good drivers are not making errors”.

The point is that everyone is making errors. We are all human. And therefore, in my point of view, is much better to indicate 1000 times without the need of it, than to cause a dangerous situation by not indicating when our judgement that it wasn’t needed was wrong.

In Poland there was a discussion about mandatory usage of headlights all day long. I am not a big fan of this solution, but of two evils (all cars lights on all the time vs drivers putting their lights as they like) i would rather choose first one. Second situation is what we have in UK - on heavy rain some are using headligts, some are dazzling everyone arround by driving on fog lights, some are driving on parking lights and some are not using lights at all… I personally would rather using my lights unnecessary all my life than cause someone’s death because he wasn’t able to see my car…

orys:
In Poland there was a discussion about mandatory usage of headlights all day long. I am not a big fan of this solution, but of two evils (all cars lights on all the time vs drivers putting their lights as they like) i would rather choose first one. Second situation is what we have in UK - on heavy rain some are using headligts, some are dazzling everyone arround by driving on fog lights, some are driving on parking lights and some are not using lights at all… I personally would rather using my lights unnecessary all my life than cause someone’s death because he wasn’t able to see my car…

I think all points of view can have value for different reasons, I am opposed to cars using lights all the time, the highway code is clear about when to use lights, but some drivers still do this wrong (trucks as well)
The biggest disadvantage of having car lights on all the time is it makes the more vulnerable road users like motorbikes less visible.
I see the full time use of head lights as a sort of idea like speed limiters, the idea was for road safety, but instead causes hazards like more tailgating, slow overtaking, creating frustration among other road users who in turn drive badly through their frustration.
With the amount of tax all road users pay, maybe the one thing the government could do to aid road safety is to issue every road user a free copy of the highway code highlighting those points that through not following correctly either cause accidents, confusion or annoyance and frustration.

jimti:
I think all points of view can have value for different reasons, I am opposed to cars using lights all the time

I am too, but I think this is lesser evil of two :slight_smile:

orys:
‘…Lot of things are left to driver’s common sense…’

How can any diverse society have anything in common - other than being God’s children, blah, etc?

Happy Keith:

orys:

How can any diverse society have anything in common - other than being God’s children, blah, etc?

not all are gods children…some are the spawn of Satan :smiling_imp:

Happy Keith:

orys:

I was created by Flying Spaghetti Moster!

jimti:

Happy Keith:

orys:

not all are gods children…some are the spawn of Satan :smiling_imp:

orys:
I was created by Flying Spaghetti Moster!

Very good, fellas. However, by extending these light-hearted notions, may we conclude that ‘common sense’ is a thing of the past?

I reckon the government see’s this and are very content to witness our squabbling (ie, driver on the phone - who cares?) as they pursue their own agenda, eg, shabby social management at home whilst bossing the world - knowing that we’re too busy at each others throats to effectively bring them to proper account :wink: