youtu.be/n44L-SOI1I8

Lighting quick reactions there.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

That’s one lucky kid :open_mouth:

Fair play to the driver … in fact both lorry drivers did well,

tachograph:

Absolutely agree. The problems for the driver start when he has to explain the 26 shot pallets he’s carrying when he gets to his drop. Not in any way saying that “stuff” is more important than a child’s life btw.

I’m sure it’s been posted before but the kid, having made a dumb choice to cross behind the bus, made the smart, self preservation, choice in turn & run.

Them brakes did a good job judging by the depth of the nose (of the lorry) dive.

the maoster:

tachograph:

Absolutely agree. The problems for the driver start when he has to explain the 26 shot pallets he’s carrying when he gets to his drop. Not in any way saying that “stuff” is more important than a child’s life btw.

he can just blame auto breaking… no one has reactions that fast

qwakers:
he can just blame auto breaking… no one has reactions that fast

You and I understand auto braking mate, try explaining it to the drone at the goods in window though and you’ll be met with total apathy.

Don’t think I’ll ever complain about auto braking again, that was very nearly a horrendous accident. As has been said previously, I don’t think any driver could react that quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mate of mine says the the 1st thing he does every morning is turn off all the new safety systems his truck has as they are to sensitive, slamming the brakes on for nothing all the time. In this situation, if he’d hit the kid on the road and the police investigated and found out auto braking had been deactivated, would he be liable for the accident even though the kid ran out in front of him. I’d suspect he’d be looking at jail if there was a fatality, but before all the electronics probably would’ve walked away

they would call it manslaughter and see turning the auto breaking off as culpable negligence.

The very fact you can turn it off surely means they cant prosecute you for doing so?
Any good solicitor will sort that out.

Seems a bit of a grey area, has there ever been a similar court case or are we just waiting for some scapegoat to set a precedent!

ive got the choice to break the speed limit, but that doesnt mean its not gonna get me three points if caught.

Braking the speed limit is an offence, turning off auto braking isn’t. It’s a part of the law that need some clarification

Isn’t it possible that it’s an experienced driver that was expecting something like this. I know I’m always ready for a crash stop or swerve in situations like this. Good on the other driver, but would the lorry driver have heard the horn blowing if he had his windows shut, a/c on with music playing?
Just wondering.

Agree with Peterm, a bus likely to be discharging schoolchildren especially is one to pass gingerly in case something like this happens.

The driver flashing and hooting must have been having kittens as this unfolded before his eyes.

peterm:
Isn’t it possible that it’s an experienced driver that was expecting something like this. I know I’m always ready for a crash stop or swerve in situations like this. Good on the other driver, but would the lorry driver have heard the horn blowing if he had his windows shut, a/c on with music playing?
Just wondering.

+1…

A bus stopped and discharging children? The very least you should be doing is knocking off CC and hovering over the brake just in case… a small child runs out in front of you. Don’t get me wrong, the driver did good and the ABS did it’s job perfectly but, buses stopped anywhere are hazards and should be approached as such.

Would anyone like to take a guess at the speed the truck is travelling at ?

The red car that comes through first appears to be passing quite cautiously, the truck maybe looks faster ? But maybe it just appears that way because of the size of the truck.

Is he travelling too fast past a stationary bus, possibly a marked school bus that is likely to have unloaded kids ?

I think in the UK a lawyer might say 20mph would be the max. as that is the “safe” limit the authorities have, in general, arrived at for traffic passing a school ?

Don’t know the answers to any of the above but just wondering…

Still some impressive braking though and I reckon he crawls past the next bus he comes to :slight_smile:

peterm:
Just wondering.

Exactly,… give the guy a bit of credit ffs, there are still a lot of good drivers out there (believe it or not :unamused: )

Is it that we are all so ■■■■■■ off with the rivets that manage to get Class 1s nowadays that we now just look for the negatives now. :unamused:

It’s one of the things my Dad always drummed into me as a 17yr old learner, …‘‘Always approach stopped buses with caution and look for the passenger walking around the front’’ never forgot it and still observe it to this day.

Are those auto brake ■■■■ things sensitive enough to detect a small kid, I thought they were programmed for vehicles, but what do I know about all that , if ‘‘drivers’’ were drivers, who knew the driving difference between a car and a truck there would be no need for all that type of crap.

It’s part of the online hazard perception test, school buses, ice cream vans, footballs etc.
We haven’t followed the US example of making it illegal to overtake a school bus, yet.