Driver on the ball here

Unsure regarding the law on turning off auto braking but we have been told if we do without good reason and involved in a accident that auto braking could have stepped in then we would be looking for another job

We were in Norway on a cruise last year. The quay we were ■■■■■■■ to was quite narrow, maybe 20 metres, with a road the other side and no fence. There were some shops on the other side of the road selling tourist tat.

Many, maybe most, of the people who got off, piled into coaches on the quay and went on tours. Quite a few of us elected to catch a local bus which would take us up the fjord to a good viewpoint for a glacier. This meant crossing the road. While we were boarding our bus on one side of the road, two elderly ladies set off to cross right in front of an artic, just like the child in the video. One of them ended up on the ground, actually under the front of the truck, but all she suffered were some bruises.

Cops and ambulance turned up quite fast and they took her to a local hospital. By the time we sailed, she was back on board.

Reminds me of something I saw one day a couple of years ago - sorry no dash cam footage. It was during school-run time, on a narrow road, a kid was cycling quite close to the edge of the pavement as a bus came along on their side of the road. Kid loses control of the bike and falls to their right with their head sticking out into the road with the bus just a few feet behind them. I thought I was going to be a first hand witness to an awful fatality, but the on-the-ball bus driver swerved sharply into the centre of the road, missing the kid’s head by inches. God knows what his passengers thought of this move but he carried on and didn’t stop (I didn’t blame him too much, it’s a mega-busy road at that time of day). I stopped opposite the lucky cyclist and shouted over to ask if they were OK, they nodded they were but they looked rightly shaken. If the bus driver had stopped to check the kid out I would have blocked the road to take a minute to congratulate him on his life-saving fast reactions, he certainly deserved some recognition for it.

manski:
Would anyone like to take a guess at the speed the truck is travelling at ?

The red car that comes through first appears to be passing quite cautiously, the truck maybe looks faster ? But maybe it just appears that way because of the size of the truck.

Is he travelling too fast past a stationary bus, possibly a marked school bus that is likely to have unloaded kids ?

I think in the UK a lawyer might say 20mph would be the max. as that is the “safe” limit the authorities have, in general, arrived at for traffic passing a school ?

Don’t know the answers to any of the above but just wondering…

Still some impressive braking though and I reckon he crawls past the next bus he comes to :slight_smile:

I thought the truck was going faster than the car too, so I copied the video into a movie editor where precise times can be added to each frame. Looking at the first five posts the vehicles pass that are holding up the crash barrier; the car took 1.03seconds and the wagon 1.07s. so in fact the wagon was ever so slightly slower.
As for speed? if we knew how far the posts were apart we could have a guess! if they were 3m apart then 27mph, if 4m apart then 36mph