Driver killed outside of lorry

Driver killed on the a48 outside Evesham today.
Sounds like he was delivering or collecting caravans and was hit by a car when he was outside of the lorry.
Woman arrested for causing death by dangerous driving.

Just doing his job, never going home…

gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n … sh-3019227

Wow I was parked up at the Beckford Inn last night ( A few yards from where this accident happened) and drove off at 6:45am towards the M5 and the cars were queuing going the other way which I thought was odd so early but didn’t think anymore about it.

What a crap way to go. RIP.

Someone posted in the newbies forum that they were caught up in it and were waiting for the police to let them go.
Sounded horrific RIP

If the caravan sales place was shut (which you’d expect at that time of day) then the caravan lorry would likely be parked barely off of the carriageway.

:cry: Poor bugger. What a way to go.

Isn’t there a member on here who delivers caravans?
The dozy ■■■■■ driver was arrested dangerous driving, makes you wonder was she picking a phone up or did she pick up her handbag and catch the handbrake lever? As happened to a tipper driver I used to work with.

Horrible set of circumstances.

Can I ask though, does anyone know why he’d be unstrapping the caravan pulled up on the main road? Like is the delivery yard not suitable to pull a truck into? Or could he have been trying to a save a few minutes if they weren’t open? Doesn’t seem a safe place to be doing it unless for some reason you absolutely have to that’s all

I may be wrong but I don’t know if some of the finer details or the picture need to be posted on here.

Blokes family, friends or work colleagues may well read for all you know.

Not trying to cause a fuss or anything I just find it a bit disrespectful. I appreciate that there may have been a witness to the accident on here and that it may be a way of offloading but again I think that’s better done elsewhere.

Rowley010:

Can I ask though, does anyone know why he’d be unstrapping the caravan pulled up on the main road? Like is the delivery yard not suitable to pull a truck into? Or could he have been trying to a save a few minutes if they weren’t open? Doesn’t seem a safe place to be doing it unless for some reason you absolutely have to that’s all

(car) transporters have to do this all the time, because there’s nowhere safe and out of the way at most dealerships. The A4 out if Bath towards Bristol regarly turns into mayhem when transporters load/unload cars. It effectively turns the road into a sigle lane, but traffic still squeezes past both ways with inches to spare.

wev all been there done it,or seen it most days especially at 6-7 am . someone unloading something while parked half on /or full on a road . its a game of chance,the roads pretty quiet and you say yeh why not -but every now n then you lose. i bleve if it was me id be best killed outright,rather than a vegetive state

the nodding donkey:

Rowley010:

(car) transporters have to do this all the time, because there’s nowhere safe and out of the way at most dealerships. The A4 out if Bath towards Bristol regarly turns into mayhem when transporters load/unload cars. It effectively turns the road into a sigle lane, but traffic still squeezes past both ways with inches to spare.

Good point. Not blaming drivers, but where is H&S here? Why does planning permission and usage of sites not involve safe unloading areas?
Summat to do with maximising selling space and profits maybe?
Same attitude to drivers as in the provision (or lack) of safe overnight parking etc.
If a company can’t offload goods safely, should they be allowed to trade there?

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Rowley010:

Good point. Not blaming drivers, but where is H&S here? Why does planning permission and usage of sites not involve safe unloading areas?
Summat to do with maximising selling space and profits maybe?
Same attitude to drivers as in the provision (or lack) of safe overnight parking etc.
If a company can’t offload goods safely, should they be allowed to trade there?

We have regular deliveries,as do most drivers, you pull up on the street, out comes forklift to unload, you open backdoors or curtians, with cars whizzing about not giving a monkeys about how close they get to you.

To reply to franglais re H&S when I did caravans (many moons ago) the retail sites didn’t open that early so I guess the poor guy was unstrapping out on the road to try and get ahead. Most sites would have room inside.

@Beau. Daresay that’s true.
@Big Griffin. Yep, same here.
But I was really looking at the Donkey’s post: Car sales on a main street with apparently no off-road unloading facilities.
Loads around I’m sure, but where is H&S?
A small shop that gets a truck once or twice a week is different to a garage with a big forecourt, surely? A corner shop in a town with jamned-up slow moving traffic is less hazardous I’d suggest, that a main road garage with fast moving traffic.
I’m not sure I’m right here. Just the way I see it.

Re delivering to busy roadside garages, you instantly become public enemy number one, yes its an issue but car transporter drivers have an advantage over the caravan lads, its only the bottom deck cars where you’re standing on the road to (un)secure them, so if you’re going to a dangerous place to deliver the sensible driver may well unofficially pull up in a safe place shortly before reaching the delivery point and remove the straps on the road side of the vehicles on the bottom deck…the cars on the deck won’t go anywhere, if any danger of movement then a ■■■■■■■■ each wheel on the ‘safe’ side will see them going nowhere.
Sometimes it happens that the danger side is where the vehicle body controls are, when it’s like that you’ve got no option but to be out there, but most vehicles designed for use here the controls are on the nearside, sometimes it’s safer to be on the wrong side of the road because you have the vehicle for protection whilst taking the load on and off, each delivery you judge on its merits.

Once the bottom deck is unloaded then generally the driver will be in the relative safety of being up on a deck to deal with the strapping.
Maybe any caravan lads reading this might think how they could modify this technique for bad delivery sites.

As always other lorry drivers were the most understanding and the most safety conscious when passing, buses too generally, car and van drivers were by far the ones more likely to hurt you, some it must be said deliberately too, but that won’t exactly come as a surprise to most of us here.

Very sad for the lad who’s lost his life there, RIP old chap, awful for the loved ones he leaves behind.
I too am a little perturbed about the picture posted even though it’s been edited by mods, but it does highlight the dangers that some of these jobs can entail.

What about domestic oil tanker drivers, they have to work beside their vehicles on busy roads… no other way around it.
In my job, I have to also as well

You shouldn’t be hit by a car when you are in the vicinity of your vehicle. The car must have been going too fast, too close and not paying attention. I can’t see well on the pic bit looks like they actually hit the truck too.

One of our drivers was caught up in this, 8.17 hours in total he was ignition off.

RIP the caravan the delivery driver.

May be looking at it from joe public view, then they see unloading a truck in the road as running a buisness on a public highway or public space free of charge. When may be they have to pay for a residential permit just to park outside their own house. We are all the same if we see someone getting for nothing while you’re paying we are not happy.

As someone else said I used to deliver heating oil and while operating the pump controls at the side of the truck car drivers would brush against me eventually I always left the nearside door open while operating the pump controls. Sad about the driver could be anyone of us.

ukjamesuk:
As someone else said I used to deliver heating oil and while operating the pump controls at the side of the truck car drivers would brush against me eventually I always left the nearside door open while operating the pump controls. Sad about the driver could be anyone of us.

Did you not stop to think if I go and turn around so the pump controls were on the pavement side it may be a bit safer …■■?