DRIVER HOURS

Im sure questions have been asked lots of times on here about thi subject, annd i apologise for asking again, but i havent driven HGV before when a tacho has been needed, ive always been exempt, and am a little anxious about the whole thing! I get the basic rules of 4.5 hrs then a break the weekly rest peiods wont apply as i will be home friday evening and not out until monnday. i will list my concerns below

1/ is this acceptable - drive 2 hrs - 45min break - drive 4.5hrs - 45 min break- drive 2.5hrs and park up for the night?

2/if i drive onto a quarry is it acceptable to class that driving as other work?

3/ After 4.5 hours driving (continuous or aggregate) a break must be taken unless a daily or weekly rest period follows immediately (i didnt really understand this, does it mean that if i run out of driving hours on a friday, and im say an hour away from home, i can continue as im off on sat/sun?

thanks for your help peeps

1/ is this acceptable - drive 2 hrs - 45min break - drive 4.5hrs - 45 min break- drive 2.5hrs and park up for the night?
YES

2/if i drive onto a quarry is it acceptable to class that driving as other work?
NO

3/ After 4.5 hours driving (continuous or aggregate) a break must be taken unless a daily or weekly rest period follows immediately (i didnt really understand this, does it mean that if i run out of driving hours on a friday, and im say an hour away from home, i can continue as im off on sat/sun?
NO - you either start a break or start a rest - its giving you those two options

yes
no
no

:slight_smile:

ROG beat me to it…

Ok thanks guys, I was always under the impression that if you took your 45 part way through a 4.5 driving period, any remaining hours of that period would be lost, so question one is good for me

dpd_driver:
Ok thanks guys, I was always under the impression that if you took your 45 part way through a 4.5 driving period, any remaining hours of that period would be lost, so question one is good for me

That’s what our cpc trainer told us too. Hmmm…

Sumsmeister:

dpd_driver:

I think what some trainers have said is

Any unused driving hrs cannot be carried over.

what is meant is you cant carry 25 mins unused driving from one day/shift/duty over to the next period of 9 hrs driving.

Sumsmeister:

dpd_driver:

Seems to be cases of not reading or understanding the rules

For newbies this should really be tested by scrapping the current mod 2 and replacing it with a proper test on the regs

Here’s another one, my driving hours should have been up at around 5pm this evening, but what should have taken an hour and half trip home took 2.5 because of traffic and an accident. What should I have done?

dpd_driver:
Here’s another one, my driving hours should have been up at around 5pm this evening, but what should have taken an hour and half trip home took 2.5 because of traffic and an accident. What should I have done?

Manual entry explaining what the problem was and that no safe parking was available until you got within striking distance of base where it then became sensible to park at base

Ok thanks, my new truck from Monday has a digi tachograph, so I’m guessing that when I stop in traffic it will keep reverting to other work, so this should preserves driving hours if this happens again shouldn’t it? Or would vosa see regular intermittent periods of other work and just class them as driving?

dpd_driver:
Ok thanks, my new truck from Monday has a digi tachograph, so I’m guessing that when I stop in traffic it will keep reverting to other work, so this should preserves driving hours if this happens again shouldn’t it? Or would vosa see regular intermittent periods of other work and just class them as driving?

DVSA will only count driving time as what’s recorded as driving time by the tachograph.

The other work that’s recorded when you repeatedly stop/start in congested traffic will count as other work and not driving time, legally for the EU regulations driving time is the time recorded by the tachograph as driving time.

So, as the digi tachograph tells you what you’ve done, and how much driving you have left, if I stick to that regardless of where it’s registered my other work I will be legal?

dpd_driver:
So, as the digi tachograph tells you what you’ve done, and how much driving you have left, if I stick to that regardless of where it’s registered my other work I will be legal?

What was the actual driving time for the shift?
What was the driving time from last 45 min break (or 15 +30) to when you got to base?
What was the start and finish time for the shift?

dpd_driver:

That’s right, when the digital tachograph says you’ve done 4 hours driving you’ve done 4 hours driving, regardless of how long you’ve been on the road.

Obviously that’s assuming you’re using your driver card and the tachograph isn’t faulty :slight_smile:

In this lorry I was on analogue tachograph, and wasn’t using a timer. I started driving at 7.02 and took my last 15 mins at 12pm, I then started driving again at 12.15, the job is tipper work, so involves little bits of other work loading etc. I dropped my last load at 3.30 with a 1.5 hr drive back to base, but this ended up taking 2.5

dpd_driver:
In this lorry I was on analogue tachograph, and wasn’t using a timer. I started driving at 7.02 and took my last 15 mins at 12pm, I then started driving again at 12.15, the job is tipper work, so involves little bits of other work loading etc. I dropped my last load at 3.30 with a 1.5 hr drive back to base, but this ended up taking 2.5

That 15mins at 12pm will not count as a driving time break

7am to 6pm pm is not an issue - leaves a full 11 hour daily rest

But I reckoned that my driving hours should still have expired by about 5pm but it was just before 6 when I go to yard, there would have been loads of places to have stopped but I was only 30 mins from base

dpd_driver:
But I reckoned that my driving hours should still have expired by about 5pm but it was just before 6 when I go to yard, there would have been loads of places to have stopped but I was only 30 mins from base

Expired/max for the day? - max 10 allowed if you have one available
or
Max for the 4.5 hours?
or
Max for the weekly/fortnightly limit?

No I hadn’t used any of my 10hr allowance, but was so close to base, didn’t wanna park up for 45mins !